Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
we'll all patiently await the next time a leaf does something to wake this place up again.

no one else is generating 200+ pages.

I hope it's Morgan again. Entertainment at its finest.
It's mostly Leafs fans with the most entertaining takes that people respond to that keep these threads alive, which by all means, keep doing it, it truly is entertaining.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Why is taking a slapshot into an empty net such a disrespectful act? Like, why are people so up in arms about how much of a slap in the face that is?
I dunno it just is. one of the unwritten rules. I didnt make it up. just how the NHL is. its an emotional fueled game and it pisses players off. pissing players off results alot of the time in really stupid things.
its one of those situations.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Why is taking a slapshot into an empty net such a disrespectful act? Like, why are people so up in arms about how much of a slap in the face that is?
Why is flipping a bat such a disrespectful act?

Why is kneeling durin an anthem disrespectful? Its just a f***in knee.

Theres a lot of basic shit in this world that is seen as "disrespectful" to some but not to others. I'm not sure why 6k+ posts deep this is still such a difficult concept for people to grasp.

Last edited:

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
It's kind of like talking shit right after the win. As soon as Greig broke away the Leafs and Sens were mentally on their way to their locker rooms. That slap shot was viewed as Grieg trying to get the last laugh after the game was over (even though there was still time on the clock). Skating by the opponent's bench to gloat would draw a response for sure. This isn't much different.

Also, I think it's worth pointing out that Greig almost certainly knew what he was doing. When someone intends disrespect, the resulting action is usually seen as disrespectful.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
cowardly, unprofessional, disrespectful, dangerous and entitled reaction.

but no jail time?

I see hf continues to shine through the darkness that is the internet.
Despite the best efforts of the Leafs fans and their hot takes :laugh:

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
It's kind of like talking shit right after the win. As soon as Greig broke away the Leafs and Sens were mentally on their way to their locker rooms. That slap shot was viewed as Grieg trying to get the last laugh after the game was over (even though there was still time on the clock). Skating by the opponent's bench to gloat would draw a response for sure. This isn't much different.

Also, I think it's worth pointing out that Greig almost certainly knew what he was doing. When someone intends disrespect, the resulting action is usually seen as disrespectful.
It was for all of the Leaf fans in attendance. Most of the building was filled with them. The players have certainly moved on, but even on here the fans are still wound up about it.

Reactions: AzHawk

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Reil
For the people who don't care for the violence, that's fine, but imposing the view that hockey shouldn't be violent is an opinion that holds as much value as the opinion that it should. If we could all get along, that would be fine, but the poster you are defending, @featherhawk has described hockey culture as "stupid and archaic" and the players as "savages".

Now, I'm no scientist, but it sounds to me like maybe there's a bit of Spiderman pointing at Spiderman here, and maybe some of these people arguing that the code is stupid are trying to push their version of the game onto the rest of us.

Also, if you don't gatekeep, you get whatever the f*** Star Wars has become.
This, is so, so wise, I truly feel sad for the people who don't understand.

Reactions: LeafGrief

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Pretty much everyone who has played understands why. It's just if it warrants a physical reaction. I think it did. I want to see how the Leafs respond the next time they play Ottawa because up till now, they don't really take Ottawa seriously.

You dont see the irony here with you posting in here all day so far lmao?
He's just happy someone is talking about Ottawa for once.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Crazy how you don't get the disrespect behind this lol. It's like a guy doing a 360 dunk in the last seconds of a NBA game that is out of reach, it's a giant F U to the opposing team, it's disrespectful and essentially taunting.

I played competitive basketball, not at a high level or anything but even we knew and understood the code and the respect you give your opponents in sports. There was games where we're up 20 and I have an open lay up but dribble out the clock. I'm not saying he shouldn't have shot in the empty net, go for it, but he knew what he was doing and he was putting a giant exclamation mark behind that F U of a shot, that's why he got rocked and that's why pretty much every former pro player is saying Riellys response was appropriate.

He was intentionally being disrespectful and taunting at the end of the game, he knew what he was doing.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Why is flipping a bat such a disrespectful act?

Why is kneeling durin an anthem disrespectful? Its just a f***in knee.

Theres a lot of basic shit in this world that is seen as "disrespectful" to some but not to others. I'm not sure why 6k+ posts deep this is still such a difficult concept for people to grasp.
Those aren't disrespectful acts...

• Haha
Reactions: Knies iT

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Silver spoon, “it’s a prank, bro” crowd is getting older. You can definitely see that culture rearing it’s head in the past few threads/twitter on this topic.

Understanding basic respect for your opponents/peers is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

Reactions: zoA

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Silver spoon, “it’s a prank, bro” crowd is getting older. You can definitely see that culture rearing it’s head in the past few threads/twitter on this topic.

Understanding basic respect for your opponents/peers is quickly becoming a thing of the past.
Respect your opponent by cross-checking him in the head?

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Respect your opponent by cross-checking him in the head?

Paraphrasing Jordan Peterson here, there’s always a threat (speaking specifically when men interact with other men) of getting punched in the face. Like it or not, this is true in males from the beginning of time to this very day.

Also, cause and effect. Act like fool, get treated as such. Regardless if you and I agree that the cross-check was warranted or not - Morgan Rielly interpreted it as disrespectful, and here we are.

The cross check doesn’t happen without the trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad