Speculation: Morgan Rielly (Reporting to Marlies march 20th!) 2nd Star in Debut

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

leafspring*

+/- is an awful measure of individual skill.

Besides, Marlies goaltending hasn't been great as of late as well.

Drew MacIntyre was player of the week last week. I just checked the Marlies stats for todays game against Peoria and Gardiner has a +3 and assist in the second period lol.

leafspring*

Thanks !

Still think he should have been given 7 games before being sent to junior again.

Your welcome. He apparently didn't hurt himself in the short camp and was not looking out of place. I still like the Marlies option best,and that we need to move Liles/Komi before there will be any sanity on the blueline.

Nonis needs to get crackin soon to get picks/prospects or something.Most likely he/other teams are waiting until the deadline so as not to pay as much salary/cap hit. I guess that.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Watching the Marlies game today, Gardiner has looked good in spots, better than I have seen him after his injury. Made some nice plays, but could still be better. The main thing that separates him from Rielly, is Rielly's elite ice vision.

Gardiner holds the puck a little too long, and at times does not see the open man. Saw this on the PP a few times, he hasn't really shown as many of the 1 on 5 rushes I saw him previously, however he did try it once and coughed up the puck at the blueline. He's going to have to learn when to go and when not to.

He also has a tendency of losing battle on the boards, needs more strength, on the plus side he broke up some plays with his speed and quick stick. But overall, I can't say he was definitively the best Marlies D man today, though I can say he and Ranger are the joint stand out D's for the Marlies.

leafspring*

Watching the Marlies game today, Gardiner has looked good in spots, better than I have seen him after his injury. Made some nice plays, but could still be better. The main thing that separates him from Rielly, is Rielly's elite ice vision.

Gardiner holds the puck a little too long, and at times does not see the open man. Saw this on the PP a few times, he hasn't really shown as many of the 1 on 5 rushes I saw him previously, however he did try it once and coughed up the puck at the blueline. He's going to have to learn when to go and when not to.

He also has a tendency of losing battle on the boards, needs more strength, on the plus side he broke up some plays with his speed and quick stick. But overall, I can't say he was definitively the best Marlies D man today, though I can say he and Ranger are the joint stand out D's for the Marlies.

I agree his vision lacks but i think its because he is looking for the shot to much or at the wrong time even. I have seen him circle the opposition offensive zone 2 1/2 times trying to do something lol. H e needs to stop up more to catch the trailer,and when he starts being less predictable he will rock.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I agree his vision lacks but i think its because he is looking for the shot to much or at the wrong time even. I have seen him circle the opposition offensive zone 2 1/2 times trying to do something lol. H e needs to stop up more to catch the trailer,and when he starts being less predictable he will rock.

As per Hurt, we will talk about it on the Marlies board. Gardiner brings postives to the team and some negatives, as long as fans understand he is not the perfect player, we are in agreement. More offense, but more chances for defensive gaffes.

snizzbone*

Does playing those 6-7 games in the AHL also burn a year off his ELC like 6-7 games in the NHLs shortened season?

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
How long are WHL seasons? I thought 70 games was how many they played in a year. If it is, Rielly's season is done now...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not sure what to think if Rielly got NHL games next week, sucks for Gardiner, but I guess we'll see how he compares to Galchenyuk and Yakupov.

I love Rielly, but I sure do wish we had Galchenyuk instead...

Last edited:

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Not sure what to think if Rielly got NHL games next week, sucks for Gardiner, but I guess we'll see how he compares to Galchenyuk and Yakupov.

I love Rielly, but I sure do wish we had Galchenyuk instead...

Galchenyuk wasn't even an option for us at 5. Move on. Atleast we got a highly skilled defender who has elite potential. He will contribute big for this team for many many years and will be a constant head ache against opponents. Especially with Gardiner coming off the bench right after his shift. I am personally stoked that he is in our system. Hopefully he reports directly to the Marlies and has a nice long playoff run with them. There is a chance that Percy could also be joining Morgan on the Marlies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'd rather have an elite PMD with playmaking skills like Rielly, than a projected top 6 leftwinger like Gally. You guys realize he has played Left Wing in the juniors, Worlds, and NHL this year. He's not the #1C most wanted drafted last year.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
With Gardiner creating some buzz in the last 24 hours, it'll be interesting to see how Rielly is going to push for a spot through the media if he impresses when he joins the Marlies.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
I'd rather have an elite PMD with playmaking skills like Rielly, than a projected top 6 leftwinger like Gally. You guys realize he has played Left Wing in the juniors, Worlds, and NHL this year. He's not the #1C most wanted drafted last year.

He's played centre in the NHL this year but we have a logjam at center with Plekanec, Eller, and Desharnais so he's being eased into the NHL onto the wing for now.

FYI, Bergevin has repeatedly stated he's going to be a centerman.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
72 games if I'm correct . OHL is 68 I believe . Q is who cares I'm pretty sure.
Jensen_Ackles_uhh_wtf.gif

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Galchenyuk wasn't even an option for us at 5. Move on. Atleast we got a highly skilled defender who has elite potential. He will contribute big for this team for many many years and will be a constant head ache against opponents. Especially with Gardiner coming off the bench right after his shift. I am personally stoked that he is in our system. Hopefully he reports directly to the Marlies and has a nice long playoff run with them. There is a chance that Percy could also be joining Morgan on the Marlies.

I'm stoked too, I just wish we had Galchenyuk instead.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If he were to join the leafs, who would you pair him with? Fraser on his oppo side may seem nice so he can get those sheltered minutes, but with Carlyle I'd doubt it.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Does playing those 6-7 games in the AHL also burn a year off his ELC like 6-7 games in the NHLs shortened season?

Nope, after his WHL teams season is done he can sign an ATO with his NHL's affiliate and can play on that instead of his NHL contract. Doesn't burn up any of his ELC and will allow him to play 15-18 regular season games with the Marlies this year, plus playoffs. Should be great experience and a nice period to adjust from junior to pros before he makes the jump to the NHL next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad