Speculation: Morgan Rielly (Reporting to Marlies march 20th!) 2nd Star in Debut

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

snizzbone*

I don't think Rielly can be called up to the Leafs. Only the Marlies?

He can get called up to the Leafs, but that would be very pointless. If he was going to be on the Leafs this year it would have been out of camp.

Nope, after his WHL teams season is done he can sign an ATO with his NHL's affiliate and can play on that instead of his NHL contract. Doesn't burn up any of his ELC and will allow him to play 15-18 regular season games with the Marlies this year, plus playoffs. Should be great experience and a nice period to adjust from junior to pros before he makes the jump to the NHL next year.

Oh okay good. He'll be with the Marlies 100% then. I hope someone streams some Marlie games for everyone to see our gem :).

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Galchenyuk wasn't even an option for us at 5. Move on. Atleast we got a highly skilled defender who has elite potential. He will contribute big for this team for many many years and will be a constant head ache against opponents. Especially with Gardiner coming off the bench right after his shift. I am personally stoked that he is in our system. Hopefully he reports directly to the Marlies and has a nice long playoff run with them. There is a chance that Percy could also be joining Morgan on the Marlies.

Rielly, Percy, Leivo, and Biggs could all be with the Marlies for the playoffs.

The Marlies could go on another great run this year if these kids can step in and contribute. It would be great to have back to back playoff runs led by two different groups of prospects (Kadri, Frattin, Gardiner, last year; these kids and guys like Colborne this year). Hopefully we can start to establish a winning culture.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Rielly won't be a Leaf until he's had at least 40-50 games in the AHL. The days of rushing defenceman are over. Get used to it.

leafspring*

With Gardiner creating some buzz in the last 24 hours, it'll be interesting to see how Rielly is going to push for a spot through the media if he impresses when he joins the Marlies.

Eakins told him to go answer to the media as another bit of expierence in his developement lol. The leafs now have the perfect smoke screen to trade him without to many fan backlashes.

Maybe he is a goner for a forward.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Rielly, Percy, Leivo, and Biggs could all be with the Marlies for the playoffs.

The Marlies could go on another great run this year if these kids can step in and contribute. It would be great to have back to back playoff runs led by two different groups of prospects (Kadri, Frattin, Gardiner, last year; these kids and guys like Colborne this year). Hopefully we can start to establish a winning culture.

I agree that they will all be on the Marlies. I just meant that there is a chance that Percy could be joining the Marlies soon as his team may or may not make the playoffs. Hopefully for another long run where the kids run the show!

theguyinside*

It took 4 years to get Kadri up what makes your think they will bring up Morgan?

He will prob go on a streak like Kadri and you will think he is the next Scotty Nied.:laugh:

Didn't you guys once have Nied? I can't remember

The K Man

May 7, 2011
Calgary
It took 4 years to get Kadri up what makes your think they will bring up Morgan?

He will prob go on a streak like Kadri and you will think he is the next Scotty Nied.:laugh:

Didn't you guys once have Nied? I can't remember

Rielly and Kadri are different players, therefore different development paths. I still don't think he'll be up though and I think most people agree.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Awesome. I think I might go check a game out later in the month then. Shame they're going to be on some crazy road schedule the moment he gets called up.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I think it's great that we're calling up some of the kids from Junior for the Marlies, but its not realistic to think they will be major contributors in a playoff run. It would be great if it happened, but realistically, they're just beginning to get their feet wet at the pro level on this callup.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Rielly won't be a Leaf until he's had at least 40-50 games in the AHL. The days of rushing defenceman are over. Get used to it.

This ^ I'll give the team a mulligan on Schenn considering it was Burke's first draft pick and he wanted to show off his first player off to everybody and they rushed him. They haven't done it since and it won't happen again. Rielly is a great prospect but like was said unless you're a Crosby you're probably not making this team out of camp. They're going to have to spend some valuable time in the minors first.

peety16

Apr 12, 2011
This ^ I'll give the team a mulligan on Schenn considering it was Burke's first draft pick and he wanted to show off his first player off to everybody and they rushed him. They haven't done it since and it won't happen again. Rielly is a great prospect but like was said unless you're a Crosby you're probably not making this team out of camp. They're going to have to spend some valuable time in the minors first.

Schenn was playing before Burke ever got there, he was Fletcher's pick. Kadri was Burke's first pick

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto

I'm willing to bet that he'll play the last 15-18 games + playoff time with the Marlies and will make the NHL next season out of camp.

snizzbone*

I think it's great that we're calling up some of the kids from Junior for the Marlies, but its not realistic to think they will be major contributors in a playoff run. It would be great if it happened, but realistically, they're just beginning to get their feet wet at the pro level on this callup.

He almost made the Leafs this year. I think he will contribute greatly. Will likely play low 5 on 5 minutes but big PP minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad