Morgan Rielly "It's stanley cup or bust. I think that’s how our group feels. Anything short of that will be a failure."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I dont know, people cared enough when Connor McDavid said it last year and made fun of it quite a bit.

That’s literally their ages right now. They’ve been playoff performers for longer than just this year. There is no comparison between McDrai and M&M. They aren’t even in the same league, especially in terms of playoffs.

Draisaitl can't keep the puck out of his own net... scores a lot, gets scored on just as much.

I'm not sure why he gets lumped in with McDavid, winning is more than just the points an individual puts up.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
That’s literally their ages right now. They’ve been playoff performers for longer than just this year. There is no comparison between McDrai and M&M. They aren’t even in the same league, especially in terms of playoffs.

They are comparable in cups as well...

"But my team was the best loser last year"

That might be the best they do in Edmonton... best loser 2024, who knows.

• Haha
Reactions: dukeofjive

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
By what a few games? Until recently the Oilers embarrassed themselves in round 1 each year outside of beating a bad ducks team.

McDavid has played 53 playoff games over the last three years.

Auston Matthews has played 55 playoff games in his entire career.

What are you talking about? You can't just make things up.

Last edited:

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Well the Oilers have had multiple deep runs with their current core, including a game 7 SCF loss by a single goal. I don't think the Leafs can compare.

McDavid has played 53 playoff games over the last three years.

Auston Matthews has played 55 playoff gams in his entire career.

What are you talking about? You can't just make things up.

I'm talking about the fact the Oilers are a more mature group in age than the Leafs and so hit their peak sooner. Leafs are entering their peak

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'm talking about the fact the Oilers are a more mature group in age than the Leafs and so hit their peak sooner. Leafs are entering their peak
Uhm... You do realize Rielly came before any of the Edmonton core, right? And Marner in the same draft as McDavid. Nylander the same draft as Draisaitl. Matthews only 1 year after McDavid. Bouchard after all of them. Yes, based on average age of all players, the Oilers are an older team, but it's pretty disingenuous to suggest the Leafs are just entering contender status and ignore that the Oilers are already there and have been competitive for years prior to now.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I do think that this core will win one cup. Maybe as quickly as this season.

Nah, they just don't have "it". Matthews and Marner like to light up inferior teams in the regular season, but their game just doesn't have that extra gear that you need come playoffs. It's just remains in regular season mode. Tanev and OEL don't move the needle, even slightly, either.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Nah, they just don't have "it". Matthews and Marner like to light up inferior teams in the regular season, but their game just doesn't have that extra gear that you need come playoffs. It's just remains in regular season mode. Tanev and OEL don't move the needle, even slightly, either.
They'll learn. Too much skill not make it to the end.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Toronto, playoffs and cookies brought to mind this classic 80's tune from Culture Club...reworked a bit for Leaf relevance...

"Hogtown, we'll drown
We're in our never splendor
Snowflakes, handshakes
We'll never be contenders

We'll be your patsy, we'll lose for sure
Always inferior and so much more...

We'll crumble for ya
We'll crumble for ya
We'll crumble for ya
We'll crumble for you.

• Haha
Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Lol, 🤣. 3rd coach, 3rd GM, 3rd contracts for the core. Best dman is over 30, 2C is declining rapidly. The leafs core is quickly about to be surpassed by the likes of New Jersey and even older than Rangers and Canes.

Reactions: dukeofjive

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Lol, 🤣. 3rd coach, 3rd GM, 3rd contracts for the core. Best dman is over 30, 2C is declining rapidly. The leafs core is quickly about to be surpassed by the likes of New Jersey and even older than Rangers and Canes.

Edmonton is on their what, 10th coach? At least be creative if you want to be a hater. Leafs will do better than the Avs this year without doubt. Avs have trash goaltending and depth

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If they do pretty much exactly what the Oilers did last year, no one will consider that a failure.

Game 6 of the Conference Finals or better is probably where I'd set the bar for the Leafs this year.

Reactions: Coffey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad