9 games since Frost had his heart to heart with Torts:

CF 59.06%, CFrel +6.68, xGF 67.73%, xGFrel +21.42, 2.52 pp/60

Coincidence?

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014

Coincidence?

It's weird how you and only you call it a "heart to heart".

No. Not the least bit coincidental.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Coincidence?

No, it's just a lazy plopping down of cause and effect in the middle of a story.

Frost was posting high end on-ice numbers (neck and neck with the Couturier line) in the 27 games before he and Tortorella arm wrestled and had a phone conversation about the merits of Gladiator vs. Braveheart. Tortorella scratched him for 11 games despite that. It's entirely uncoincidental that a player already doing well continued to do well with a little extra playing time and a lot less popcorn time.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

Coincidence?
There's no doubt since that time, ignoring the numbers, Frost has looked better. He was putting up good xGF, RAPM, xGAR numbers before this discussion, but he didn't seem as engaged. Since that, he's looking better more consistently - basically the way he looked at the end of last season.

Maybe the conversation sparked something in Frost, and I would bet it did. But, I would also say why did the conversation need to be had in the first place? Why was his confidence low in the first place Maybe sitting out 11 of the first 38 games, despite Frost knowing he was the second best center on the team had something to do with it. Maybe he was playing with fear because of the unreasonable approach to Frost's icetime.

Maybe not. I don't know, or really give a shit lol

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There's no doubt since that time, ignoring the numbers, Frost has looked better. He was putting up good xGF, RAPM, xGAR numbers before this discussion, but he didn't seem as engaged. Since that, he's looking better more consistently - basically the way he looked at the end of last season.

Maybe the conversation sparked something in Frost, and I would bet it did. But, I would also say why did the conversation need to be had in the first place? Why was his confidence low in the first place Maybe sitting out 11 of the first 38 games, despite Frost knowing he was the second best center on the team had something to do with it. Maybe he was playing with fear because of the unreasonable approach to Frost's icetime.

Maybe not. I don't know, or really give a shit lol
I don't think Frost's problem is confidence, he just has a tendency to slip into automatic pilot at times. One reason I like him with Tippett is that Tippett's "bull in a china shop" approach seems to energize Frost, same with TK, when he's paired with more deliberate players, he seems to slow down.

That's why chemistry, as well as talent, matters on lines. Some players just seem to play better with others.

Reactions: Wangstar

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This is has been Tort's MO with offensive first players, did it to St Louis in TB, Atkinson in CBJ, now Frost in Philly. He doesn't want them to curtail offense, or even stop taking chances, he wants them to be engaged without the puck.

TK is Torts perfect offensive forward, always moving, making things happen without the puck, not the highest IQ and sometimes you can see Torts roll his eyes, Tippett is becoming a similar player.

Scorers at lower levels tend to play a lot of minutes and learn to glide through shifts, Torts attitude is if you're tired you don't glide, you skip a shift. He'd rather put a less talented player out there going full speed than have a scorer half ass his back check.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is has been Tort's MO with offensive first players, did it to St Louis in TB, Atkinson in CBJ, now Frost in Philly. He doesn't want them to curtail offense, or even stop taking chances, he wants them to be engaged without the puck.

TK is Torts perfect offensive forward, always moving, making things happen without the puck, not the highest IQ and sometimes you can see Torts roll his eyes, Tippett is becoming a similar player.

Scorers at lower levels tend to play a lot of minutes and learn to glide through shifts, Torts attitude is if you're tired you don't glide, you skip a shift. He'd rather put a less talented player out there going full speed than have a scorer half ass his back check.

This was never a problem with Frost. He does curtail offense because he restricts playmaking options.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The only thing that curtails Frost is Frost. When he's engaged and moving his legs he makes things happen and creates opportunities to make plays - when he glides through shifts it's more like he's waiting for teammates to make things happen. He should be the "man," not a complementary player.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The only thing that curtails Frost is Frost. When he's engaged and moving his legs he makes things happen and creates opportunities to make plays - when he glides through shifts it's more like he's waiting for teammates to make things happen. He should be the "man," not a complementary player.

He gets in trouble if he makes plays too far across the ice. He knows the coach is desperate to bench him. That's a constraint.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Tortorella is in Briere’s office to keep Laughton, Seeler, Walker, while selling high on Frost for the rebuild. I’d wager every savvy front office has called about Frost.

Frost is trade bait (20 on TSN’s board) for an organization that has 1 other non-4th line center, and he’s 31 coming off double back surgery. Meanwhile, they sign Tippett to 8 years.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
For the Flyers, Farabee is the kind of forward you build around - 80 points in 134 games under Torts (0.6 P/GP)

While Frost is the kind of forward you f*** with at very opportunity - 70 points in 122 games under Torts (0.57 P/GP)

Despite their very different treatment, they have almost exactly the same On-Ice EV GF%. In fact, they are the only two Flyer forwards to have played most of the past two seasons and be above 50%. Not even former sleeper Selke candidate Noah Cates has managed that.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Tortorella is in Briere’s office to keep Laughton, Seeler, Walker, while selling high on Frost for the rebuild. I’d wager every savvy front office has called about Frost.

Frost is trade bait (20 on TSN’s board) for an organization that has 1 other non-4th line center, and he’s 31 coming off double back surgery. Meanwhile, they sign Tippett to 8 years.
100% Frost is the only one moved...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad