LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
2Ckp.gif

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
What sort of rebuilding team, with ready cap space -- that says it'll be competing in 3 years -- bridges every single young player, so that their pay raises coincide with competing? The Flyers brass is basing the express rebuild on how much they value the current young players on the roster, yet, they don't have any interest in betting on a single one. Does it make sense? Of course not. Nothing makes sense.

Less than Cates. Flyers gonna fly

Well, you see, Cates produced more last season. Okay, he didn't. But hear me out! Tortorella will put Cates below Frost on the depth chart. Look at their usage on odd days in odd months since January. Probably. Maybe. Who knows. But if he doesn't, Frost only has himself to blame.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'da gone 6x$4m for Frost in a heartbeat. Not sure what 2x$2m gets you.
But would Frost had accepted that? In two years, at 26, he'll be negotiating his one big contract, if he thinks last season's finish was his norm, he'd be looking at something on the order of 6x6. If he takes 6x4 now, he'd be negotiating his next deal at 30 and have to make another $16M over two years to break even.

What sort of rebuilding team, with ready cap space -- that says it'll be competing in 3 years -- bridges every single young player, so that their pay raises coincide with competing? The Flyers brass is basing the express rebuild on how much they value the current young players on the roster, yet, they don't have any interest in betting on a single one. Does it make sense? Of course not. Nothing makes sense.

Well, you see, Cates produced more. Okay, he didn't. But hear me out! Tortorella will put Cates below Frost on the depth chart. Probably. Maybe. Who knows. But if he doesn't, Frost only has himself to blame.
Cates produced more WAR. But advanced metrics don't matter until they agree with you, I guess?

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Good deal.

Like the player for sure but not a fan for more long ass contracts for secondary bullshit.

Hope he develops more.

Pay for talent, don’t overpay the vanilla.

Reactions: tnfrs

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Good deal for both sides. Why it took all summer? Beats me.

Well, you see, Cates produced more last season. Okay, he didn't. But hear me out! Tortorella will put Cates below Frost on the depth chart. Look at their usage on odd days in odd months since January. Probably. Maybe. Who knows. But if he doesn't, Frost only has himself to blame.
Frost can now relax and just dream about centering Hathaway and Laughton

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I wonder what players actually want to be here

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I don't mind bridge contracts in a vacuum, but I do find it bizarre how Flyers management has decided to bridge almost every young player, no matter who has been the GM in recent years.

His QO will be $2.4M, which gives both sides room to lock in a reasonable long/mid term deal if Frost has two successive years of improvement.

Not sure how this plays into their aspirations of being competitive roughly at the end of this contract, though. Won't matter if Torts is still behind the bench (theoretically, though maybe collecting a coach's cheque from the press box). :dunno:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
But would Frost had accepted that? In two years, at 26, he'll be negotiating his one big contract, if he thinks last season's finish was his norm, he'd be looking at something on the order of 6x6. If he takes 6x4 now, he'd be negotiating his next deal at 30 and have to make another $16M over two years to break even.

Cates produced more WAR. But advanced metrics don't matter until they agree with you, I guess?

You've spent a lot of time assuring us you have a background that lets you understand basic stats, so that let's me know you're deliberately lying to defend Flyers decisions.

Is it good when you can only defend something with lies?

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Short term for Frost and Cates I dont mind, theres no need to commit to anybody if youre rebuilding. they may both have stellar years, they may both shit the bed, and if Gauthier keeps developing as a center maybe he takes one of their spots in 2025. I wouldnt put it past Frost to find another level of his game though, sometimes it takes longer to build up ur dad strength. google morgan frost and the default image he looks like hes not a day older than jett deschamps when he was 18.

Reactions: dats81

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't mind bridge contracts in a vacuum, but I do find it bizarre how Flyers management has decided to bridge almost every young player, no matter who has been the GM in recent years.

His QO will be $2.4M, which gives both sides room to lock in a reasonable long/mid term deal if Frost has two successive years of improvement.

Not sure how this plays into their aspirations of being competitive roughly at the end of this contract, though. Won't matter if Torts is still behind the bench (theoretically, though maybe collecting a coach's cheque from the press box). :dunno:
They've bridged three players, Tippett, Cates and Frost, all of whom lack any sort of track record.
It makes perfect sense to wait and see if they're for real or one year wonders.

They gave TK and Farabee long-term deals off a few years of production, as well as Provorov unfortunately, CF rushed to extend Sanheim and overpaid given his history.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They've bridged three players, Tippett, Cates and Frost, all of whom lack any sort of track record.
It makes perfect sense to wait and see if they're for real or one year wonders.

They gave TK and Farabee long-term deals off a few years of production, as well as Provorov unfortunately, CF rushed to extend Sanheim and overpaid given his history.

No.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad