GDT: Montreal Canadiens vs Columbus Blue Jackets- 1/25/16 7:00pm EST SNE, RDS, TSN 69

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
again-- there are only 4 points separating 2nd and 6th in the division.

if we were 2nd in the division, would people be talking about tanking?

why do the current standings have so much influence?

we are only 48 games into the season...

does our fan base have a tendency to hit the panic button?

Going ~.200 gives all cause for pessimism. Because no team does that in this post-lockout era, except for us. Even Buffalo the past couple years was never that bad.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
Some of you really need to get off your high horse and stop telling people how they should or shouldn't cheer for the Habs. Some people want to win the cup and realize that it's unlikely to happen with Bergevin/Therrien. People have every right to want to tank and it doesn't make them any less of a fan. Same goes for those who don't want to tank.

Surely you can understand how annoying it is when people are openly cheering for your team to lose in GTDs and spend whole PGTs reminding everyone how much we suck and how we'll never win anything. If I want to read posts of that nature, I can read the Bruins out of town thread, thank you.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Surely you can understand how annoying it is when people are openly cheering for your team to lose in GTDs and spend whole PGTs reminding everyone how much we suck and how we'll never win anything. If I want to read posts of that nature, I can read the Bruins out of town thread, thank you.

I like talking about da grind in GDT's, is that bothersome?

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007

Do you know why coaches as a rule of thumb get fired during terrible slumps (for example the worst one since 1940)? It's because generations and generations of hockey teams have seen that once things are broken, as a rule they don't get better. Unlike most jobs, Coaches will always get fired, because firing has proven more profitable than keeping. It was the survival of the fittest idea. This team is done with Michel Therrien. It goes for this year and the future.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005

Maybe, but for sure our coach has a tendency to push the stupid button.

So our expectations sink.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014

A similar case can be made about seeing people mindlessly cheering for short term wins even though our chances at post-season success are bleak.

In the end, everyone has their own way of wishing the best for the team, just because you disagree doesn't mean these people shouldn't be allowed to post what they think.

There's always the ignore function if it's too annoying for you ;)

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
A similar case can be made about seeing people mindlessly cheering for short term wins even though our chances at post-season success are bleak.

In the end, everyone has their own way of wishing the best for the team, just because you disagree doesn't mean these people shouldn't be allowed to post what they think.

There's always the ignore function if it's too annoying for you ;)

Of course you can post what you think. But then people who disagree can then post what they think. When you post that you hope the Habs lose on a Habs forum, you can expect some push-back. Frankly I though most of the pro-winning posts were pretty mild considering. For example I didn't see any of the pro-winning side suggesting that the pro-losing people were being "mindless" about it.

mechantmardi

Apr 15, 2010
Montreal
i can understand the viewpoint of the tankers... its long term vs short term

but in the modern NHL, any team has a chance to win once the playoffs start...

in 2006 the 8th seed oilers went to game 7 of the stanley cup finals

in 2010 as an 8th seed we faced the 7th seed flyers in the ECF

in 2012 the LA Kings won the stanley cup as an 8th seed

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Some of you really need to get off your high horse and stop telling people how they should or shouldn't cheer for the Habs. Some people want to win the cup and realize that it's unlikely to happen with Bergevin/Therrien. People have every right to want to tank and it doesn't make them any less of a fan. Same goes for those who don't want to tank.

Some people here aren't fans. They just want something to hate, like any drunk uncle who doesn't watch hockey.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Some people here aren't fans. They just want something to hate, like any drunk uncle who doesn't watch hockey.

I know drunk uncles, they're usually snoring on the couch. The tv is watching them. :laugh:

I don't know how you establish who is a fan and who isn't. The more the merrier. Ultimately, it's a multiplicity of views that adds spice and interest, not everyone saying the same thing or agreeing on the one way to get things done. Look at the fans who wish for tanking -- it's only for their perceived good of the team. They are probably as passionate as those fans wanting the Habs to be in the playoffs at all costs, every year.

void

Jan 5, 2006

There's no way you can tell for sure who is or isn't a fan. I think lots of people hate the current Habs regime and use HF to vent.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
these people have hated every habs regime tho, at some point it's just them being haters

There sure are lot's of things to hate from the Gainey/Gauthier/Martin era.

And Bergevin's era is starting to look not much better.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I know drunk uncles, they're usually snoring on the couch. The tv is watching them. :laugh:

I don't know how you establish who is a fan and who isn't. The more the merrier. Ultimately, it's a multiplicity of views that adds spice and interest, not everyone saying the same thing or agreeing on the one way to get things done. Look at the fans who wish for tanking -- it's only for their perceived good of the team. They are probably as passionate as those fans wanting the Habs to be in the playoffs at all costs, every year.

well if you don't watch the games and complain about DD's turnover while he's on the bench, you're not a fan, and that happens fairly often around these parts :laugh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
well if you don't watch the games and complain about DD's turnover while he's on the bench, you're not a fan, and that happens fairly often around these parts :laugh:

I dunno, how many of your drunk uncles post here? Ask them, during moments of sobriety. :laugh:

Kraniumm

Hanshan
Jan 1, 2015
BC
lol @ just being haters. Such broad, sweeping generalisations.

I'm in the "don't want to tank + fire Therrien ASAP" camp. Pretty much a lose-lose situation. My stance itself is destined to tank. :(

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
i can understand the viewpoint of the tankers... its long term vs short term

but in the modern NHL, any team has a chance to win once the playoffs start...

in 2006 the 8th seed oilers went to game 7 of the stanley cup finals

in 2010 as an 8th seed we faced the 7th seed flyers in the ECF

in 2012 the LA Kings won the stanley cup as an 8th seed
Anyone has chance to win the cup? Last 4 cups:
2015 - CHI
2014 - LA
2013 - CHI
2012 - LA

Yea sure thing buddy...

Kraniumm

Hanshan
Jan 1, 2015
BC
We've been in long-term mode for the long-term; meanwhile, someday never comes. Windows open then close, because the last step is never taken.

I guess I shouldn't complain - I do a similar thing in video games. When I come across better weapons/ammo/health stuff, I simply save it for later, when I'll really need it. Think ahead! Then suddenly the game ends and I haven't used any of it.

If only the NHL had save & reload points...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
lol @ just being haters. Such broad, sweeping generalisations.

I'm in the "don't want to tank + fire Therrien ASAP" camp. Pretty much a lose-lose situation. My stance itself is destined to tank. :(

You're proving that there are several shades of tanking as well as booster-type fans:

You have:

Tank for Auston at all costs fan.
Tank for Auston and don't fire the coaching Foxholer in order to help tank.
Tank for Auston but fire the coaching Foxholer, can't take him anymore.
Tank for Auston but fire both Foxholers.
The rabid positivist, cheer for the Habs or you're not a real fan, approach.
The realist -- cheer for the team but don't get your hopes too high.
Make the playoffs fan but make sure you don't miss them by so little that you end up with too low a pick, fan.
Make the playoffs but fire the coaching Foxholer.
The fire everyone fan, cause he can't stand waiting any longer for a Cup run and no longer trusts current regime.
The fan who issues medical prognosis, without having access to medical records. :sarcasm:

Probably lots more variations.

Kraniumm

Hanshan
Jan 1, 2015
BC
You're proving that there are several shades of tanking as well as booster-type fans:

Probably lots more variations.
Exactly! As opposed to simply "haters" or "non-fans" (whatever that is - I consider a non-fan to be someone who has never posted on or even heard of this forum, lol)

Good list. I'm not on there, specifically. I'm more of a hybrid of 2 or 3 there, with details also left out.

Since I was old enough to actually comprehend the games I watch (early 70s), it's been a long strange trip...

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Of course you can post what you think. But then people who disagree can then post what they think. When you post that you hope the Habs lose on a Habs forum, you can expect some push-back. Frankly I though most of the pro-winning posts were pretty mild considering. For example I didn't see any of the pro-winning side suggesting that the pro-losing people were being "mindless" about it.

I never said it shouldn't be allowed. The post I replied to seemed to imply some opinions weren't desired in this thread, hence my reply to express disagreement. However, that post and any other that I disagree with are totally legitimate.

As for the contrasting the harshness from either side, it's not a pissing contest on who has the least or milder replies to the other side. For instance, I could say none of the pro-losing side said the pro-winning side weren't real fans of the teams. We can go a long way on this track, but it won't resolve much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad