Post-Game Talk: Mon Lars leads Pens past the Habs 6-3

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
He's just trying to cover for his asinine takes on Hutson a few weeks ago before the season started by jumping on him and making things up.

Like it’s ok if you don’t want to drink the Hutson koolaid, for sure this fanbase is going crazy over him and he has flaws. But to say he can’t help this team? He can absolutely help this team like bro what???

Reactions: Canadienna

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I didn't see the game tonight, but lots of you are saying that Guhle and Hutson were the only good defensemen tonight.

Hutson was a -4 tonight... worst on the team, yet he was solid?

Elaborate?

I don't know about solid, but he was left alone on a couple of occasions.

One minus was from an ENG. Good shot by Malkin pass Matheson from 10 feet inside his own blue line.

Another was essentially a 3 on 1. Savard tried to block a pass in the neutral zone & went down. Pens flew up the ice. Hutson thinking he had help (he didn't) went man on man with the puck carrier. He threw it across for a 2 on 0 on Montembeault. Hutson could have played it better, but the 2 Pens forwards beat both of Montreal's backckecking forwards to the net. Savard was nowhere.

On another goal, Anderson panicks on the boards & instead of eating it, throws an atrocious pass backward to Hutson who is covered. Then Anderson doesn't bother to follow his guy to the net. Hutson takes his guy down low, the puck gets sent out front, and no one is covering anybody in front. Hayes scores off a rebound. He is completely unbothered.

Finally, Hutson goes low into the offensive corner to try for some offense in 3rd, as Montreal is down one. No one backs him up. He's caught. Matheson takes his man on the rush, but no one takes the 2 Pens going to the net. Another f***ing 2 on 0 in front of Montembeault.

The atrocious defense was a team wide affair and the only blameless players are Guhle & Montembeault. 2 of the goals against Montembeault were 2 on 0s. Then an open side tap-in by Hayes & an ENG.

Guhle was outstanding in shutting down Crosby, so Malkin did the damage.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
I agree with you that's why I wanted him in the A. To tweak his defensive game.
I don't think so. Hutson will learn more playing in the NHL. We will make a lot of mistakes but with his hockey IQ will progress rapidly by learning from his mistakes + his teammates will learn how to support him better.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
But he ain't and he's not.

If Hutson was 5 inches taller and 40lbs heavier he’d be LH Makar

But he ain't.

We have a young D…whether it be Barron, Struble, Xhekaj, Hutson, Mailloux.

Mistakes are going to happen and we need to be patient and not always bury them and magnify every single mistake.

Or else its going to be a long year for some of you.

I'll add the forwards as well. Many, many missed assignments and bad reads. The top 6 is filled with sub 25 players and it the inexperience shows. They need mileage and a lot of video.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I don't know about solid, but he was left alone on a couple of occasions.

One minus was from an ENG. Good shot by Malkin pass Matheson from 10 feet inside his own blue line.

Another was essentially a 3 on 1. Savard tried to block a pass in the neutral zone & went down. Pens flew up the ice. Hutson thinking he had help (he didn't) went man on man with the puck carrier. He threw it across for a 2 on 0 on Montembeault. Hutson could have played it better, but the 2 Pens forwards beat both of Montreal's backckecking forwards to the net. Savard was nowhere.

On another goal, Anderson panicks on the boards & instead of eating it, throws an atrocious pass backward to Hutson who is covered. Then Anderson doesn't bother to follow his guy to the net. Hutson takes his guy down low, the puck gets sent out front, and no one is covering anybody in front. Hayes scores off a rebound. He is completely unbothered.

Finally, Hutson goes low into the offensive corner to try for some offense in 3rd, as Montreal is down one. No one backs him up. He's caught. Matheson takes his man on the rush, but no one takes the 2 Pens going to the net. Another f***ing 2 on 0 in front of Montembeault.

The atrocious defense was a team wide affair and the only blameless players are Guhle & Montembeault. 2 of the goals against Montembeault were 2 on 0s. Then an open side tap-in by Hayes & an ENG.

Guhle was outstanding in shutting down Crosby, so Malkin did the damage.

Aside from a few differing details on the goals, we saw much of the same.

I think we mostly all agree that Guhle is outstanding.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
The first goal Savard fell but Hutson played it wrong. You either commit to pressing the puck carrier or stay in the middle of the ice. He did neither. He simply skated half-heartedly towards the puck carrier. Anyway, I don't want to be right about this kid's flaws but the more I watch him the more I don't see anyone that can help us.

I would trade him for another Guhle in a heart beat.
I think I found Bob Gainey's HFboards account. :laugh: Gotta be the dumbest takes about Lane I've read yet.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Did we watch the same game? I'm quite on the Hutson bandwagon, but I found his game tonight quite horrible. No? They abused him, he ends with -4. Again I love him but how can you say he played good tonight?

I’d say 2 of those were related to his size, other two was poor coverage from other people on the ice. I think some nights we’ll see that but offensive upside is more than worth it, but we’ll need him to be on PP1 to capitalize and come out net positive.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I'll add the forwards as well. Many, many missed assignments and bad reads. The top 6 is filled with sub 25 players and it the inexperience shows. They need mileage and a lot of video.

Yup, forwards were chasing back all night & leaving the D with too many odd man rushes. It was a terrible defensive effort by everyone. Guhle was exceptional.

Reactions: Andrei79

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
How many defensive battles did the Habs win?

Watching this team compared to a team like Florida/Dallas in that department is night and day. Our forecheck is straight up trash compared to elite teams and we’re way too soft along the boards.

But super young team and once they get rid of the deadwood it will get better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad