OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I’m afraid they’re bringing in Pollock to replace Nimmo/Conforto who leave in a trade for Realmuto.

I wouldn’t be down with that.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Catchers who can command a plate and who aren't complete plague with the bat in their hands populate like 95% of the league. JT feels like a super luxury.

I'd rather just sign Grandal or something.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
If it was a reasonable deal for 2-3 years max, that could be good for the Mets. RH OF, better at the dish than Lagares. Is either still decent or slightly below average in CF depending on what you look at. I haven't seen the ZiPS projection on him but Steamer has him at 3.1 WAR for 2019, being bullish on him staying healthy.

I have no problem signing him at 31 if the money is right. If the Mets are going to try to give themselves a 3-4 year window, these guys are okay. Granderson was the best player on the 2015 team until they got Cespedes. Uribe and Johnson played big roles. Hell even Murphy was 30. As long as you don't expect the older guys to carry you. Like, if all goes well, Conforto and Nimmo (and Realmuto?) should pace the team. Hell even McNeil could conceivably take Frazier's job and out-WAR Cano if his stick somehow manages to be legit.
I'm a bit worried about the term he'll command. He was reportedly looking for a contract similar to Lorenzo Cain (5 yrs at $80mil) and I'm not sure if that would be in the Mets best interests for the long haul considering his injury history. But if his market is for 3 years it is a no-brainer for the Mets (and probably a lot of other teams too).

I can't see the Marlins giving up Realmuto without one of Nimmo or Conforto being involved either. Braves reportedly offered Soroka and Riley in a package deal for Realmuto and I can't see the Mets matching that without parting with one of those 2. It coincides with Rosenthal's tweet of the Mets looking at a replacement piece (Pollock) before trading for Realmuto.

I’m afraid they’re bringing in Pollock to replace Nimmo/Conforto who leave in a trade for Realmuto.

I wouldn’t be down with that.

This is exactly what I'm worried about. This would be a bad strategy for the long haul.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Looking like it'll shake out to be Nimmo(+?) for Realmuto. And AJ Pollock as a free agent, for which the Mets will need to give up a compensatory draft pick since he declined his QO.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City

The plot thickens
Ehh it makes more sense for the Mets to deal Rosario. Nimmo impacts the team all around. He has the patient bat, hustles, while Rosario is wild. Plus Gimenez is our #1 prospect and a SS, so if they can make a trade around Rosario plus. Maybe they signs stop gap guy for the SS job short term till Gimenez is ready. Maybe they can include Castro while the Mets include Vargas and a B/C level prospect to fill in that gap. Assuming Castro can play SS.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
How is Nimmo an acceptable return when the rumors were the Marlins wanted to Gary Sanchez for Realmuto. Nimmo is nowhere near the hitter Sanchez is. He is a hard working hustle player with some talent. A better Brett Gardner imo is what his career will look like.

It will have to be Conforto or Rosario for Realmuto, especially within the division

darko

Feb 16, 2009
How is Nimmo an acceptable return when the rumors were the Marlins wanted to Gary Sanchez for Realmuto. Nimmo is nowhere near the hitter Sanchez is. He is a hard working hustle player with some talent. A better Brett Gardner imo is what his career will look like.

It will have to be Conforto or Rosario for Realmuto, especially within the division

Nimmo had 149 wRC+ last season. He's a very good hitter. Nimmo >>> Rosario.

Reactions: jas

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The Steinbrenners have done a great job making the fans happy they have spent less money.

The Yanks went from being the Evil Empire of George spending whatever to every baseball writer crying last winter when a crap load of players had to wait to sign low 1 year deals.

Payroll dropped to reset the luxury tax. It'll go north of 200 mill again.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
It is not fear complex or hatred of the Mets, I just feel the Mets are going about their offseason moves all wrong. Same with the Knicks I suppose (in reference to ECB's post).

That's the vibe I'm getting with these alleged 'win-now' moves. I guess we'll see how the season plays out.

I'm loving what Mets are doing. Had they only acquired Cano as originally thought i wouldn't be a fan but they got Diaz as well and are now going for Realmuto. Hopefully they can sign Pollock to play CF and a mid rotation arm. They are going for it. Seems like Phillies are trying as well. Nats rotation is excellent. Braves have tons of pitching. Both Braves and Nats have future stars in Soto and Acuna. NL East is loading up and I'm all for it.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Nimmo had 149 wRC+ last season. He's a very good hitter. Nimmo >>> Rosario.
Thats fair but I still think Rosario has the longterm upside.

Regardless neither of those players are of the caliber that Gary Sanchez is and thats with him having an awful season.

Also as I said there is the trading within the division factor and there has to be a couple of other teams that would be interested in Realmuto. Especially has the offseason goes on and teams’ plans change.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Conforto > Nimmo > Rosario. But Rosario has a chance to pass Nimmo.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I was skeptical of Nimmo when a lot of other fans were hyping him up, but I gotta say I've come around.

He's a really solid gap hitter, and in Citi, that's a huge plus. You can't just slug it at Citi.

High OBP, 30+ doubles, over 5 triples, 20+ homer type player. That's no easy find.

While he's 25, he's a late bloomer. Probably due to the fact of where he grew up and not going through a usual path to the pros.

Reactions: jas

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I'm not sure about them holding out for Kluber. A few weeks ago there was stuff out there about them talking to the Indians. Didn't go anywhere. The price was ridiculous apparently and they weren't interested in including Florial.

That could change after this. Especially if they sign Harper. Where the hell is Florial playing then?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
How does 140/6 for a 29yo today compare to 160/7 for a 29yo 9 years ago?

Sounds like the latter you're referencing is Sabathia's original deal with the Yankees, which is not relevant, so I don't get why you're asking me that.

The market has changed. Elite starters make 30 million and more a year.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I was skeptical of Nimmo when a lot of other fans were hyping him up, but I gotta say I've come around.

He's a really solid gap hitter, and in Citi, that's a huge plus. You can't just slug it at Citi.

High OBP, 30+ doubles, over 5 triples, 20+ homer type player. That's no easy find.

While he's 25, he's a late bloomer. Probably due to the fact of where he grew up and not going through a usual path to the pros.

If Brodie is allowed to operate like the GM of big market team, you move Rosario for Realmuto, go sign Machado and develop Gimenez. From what I’ve seen, Conforto looks to be just about untouchable, and Nimmo is thought of much higher than Rosario. It seems to be unreported, but I’ve seen Nimmo’s year last season considered to be the second best offensive season in the NL. He’s an ideal modern day lead off hitter.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Wouldn't deal Conforto for Realmuto straight up, let alone as part of a package.

And while I love Nimmo, there's a huge difference between Nimmo and Conforto.

It’s not that big if it exists at all.

I wasn’t a believer in Nimmo at all but he’s really come into his own. Different hitters, but Nimmo is very good.

Can’t stand him off the field though but let’s not get into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad