Confirmed with Link: Mittelstadt re-signed (3 years, $5.75M AAV)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If this was 5m x 3 nobody has an issue with it. If there was term even at more money, there wouldn’t be issues. This is really just a mixture of both that is great. Not the end of the world, but certainly not a great deal.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If this was 5m x 3 nobody has an issue with it. If there was term even at more money, there wouldn’t be issues. This is really just a mixture of both that is great. Not the end of the world, but certainly not a great deal.
The fact that it's not a great deal also doesn't make it an awful deal.

"Not great, not terrible", like they say in Chernobyl

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
AAV is whatever. The notable thing is they botched a 4th overall pick and will get 3 more years out of that asset then nothing.
What are you realistically expecting from a 4th overall pick? Byram got us the cup, he was better than Makar against Tampa, arguably our best player. I'm pretty happy with that alone.

Reactions: LTCPain75

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The fact that it's not a great deal also doesn't make it an awful deal.

"Not great, not terrible", like they say in Chernobyl
I’d say somewhere between bad and average IMO. As I said not the end of the world, but it shouldn’t be painted as good by any stretch.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
This is a joke post right?
It was not a serious question, no. We know the answer.

We saw how that JT Compher at 2nd C full time experiment went. Mittelstadt, at times looked dominant, at times a bit lost. With more time, he will be better, and is one of the keys if this team wins another trophy.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
It was not a serious question, no. We know the answer.

We saw how that JT Compher at 2nd C full time experiment went. Mittelstadt, at times looked dominant, at times a bit lost. With more time, he will be better, and is one of the keys if this team wins another trophy.
Okay good. But, since I took the time, I just want to highlight what I believe is the biggest difference between these two.
1000036820.jpg

1000036821.jpg

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I mean.. the Mittelstadt camp was definitely asking more than 7M for a 6-8 year long contract. I have zero doubts about that after seeing this deal. Cap is going to rise quickly in the next few years and he is a 60+ pts guy who is very good on both ends of the ice. He can ask that kind of contract long term without being unreasonable at all. Good 2C is going to cost 7M+ very soon. Heck, those might already.

I totally get the three years from Casey's side and if Avs were afraid of an offer sheet or going to arbitration, their backs were against the wall. It this was something like 5,25M x 3yrs it would a big steal IMO. Now it's a fair contract for everyone.

This contract isn't a plus or a minus for Cmac. I don't think there was much he could do.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
AAV is whatever. The notable thing is they botched a 4th overall pick and will get 3 more years out of that asset then nothing.

Let's see how the three years play out. IF for example (big if, yet very possible) Richie is ready for 2C role after the next two years, they could trade Casey and gain assets. Not likely, but possible. Heck, they could even re-sign Casey after two years when they have clarity on Landy and Nuke and cap is a lot higher.

Reactions: Chiarelli

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Only on here does the GM sign a fair deal that keeps a key player around and gets half the crowd calling for his head.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Only on here does the GM sign a fair deal that keeps a key player around and gets half the crowd calling for his head.
The problem is, we have too many fair deals. With our cap crunch we really needed a team friendly contact. Especially with the uncertainty around our 2nd and 3rd best wingers.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
The problem is, we have too many fair deals. With our cap crunch we really needed a team friendly contact. Especially with the uncertainty around our 2nd and 3rd best wingers.
And so when the agent said sorry, we aren't here to give you a team friendly deal...they should have just said fine, we'll take the arbitration option?

Reactions: Turbonium

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It is simply because the Avs got a bad mix here... they paid more than arbitration and they didn't get any significant term either. If there was term or less AAV, this deal is great. Right now its a below average to bad deal. That's not the end of the world by any stretch, but it doesn't mean we need to celebrate it either.

Reactions: The Moops

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
The cap prevents the Avs from giving Bednar that roster.

It is simply because the Avs got a bad mix here... they paid more than arbitration and they didn't get any significant term either. If there was term or less AAV, this deal is great. Right now its a below average to bad deal. That's not the end of the world by any stretch, but it doesn't mean we need to celebrate it either.
Earlier today you said the arb was likely 5.25-5.75. That would presumably be for 1-2 years.
So if we include the 3rd UFA year, it seems like the deal is basically right in line with his earning power.

Seems more fair, than below average.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad