Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Hyman we could have signed, chose not to, wasn't a cap issue.

Brodie was good for a few years.

Why are you bringing up past signings? Is it that hard to defend last year's signings?

Domi was good, yes.
I believe Hyman was at least partly a cap issue. He wanted to stay badly, sounds like he would have taken a discount to do so too but we didn't have the cap space.

Domi was signed last summer. You wanted example of good signings and I gave them to you.

Next.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I believe Hyman was at least partly a cap issue. He wanted to stay badly, sounds like he would have taken a discount to do so too but we didn't have the cap space.

Domi was signed last summer. You wanted example of good signings and I gave them to you.

Next.

You gave a single good signing from last year...

Benoit and Holmberg are other ones.

My point was, that we wasted $15 million (75% of our available cap) and people act like if we had more we are automatically better, it just isn't true.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Philosophical question.

If everyone knows playoff hockey is played in this ground and pound style with tons of obstruction, where a hot goalie can be the ultimate trump card, why would anyone build a roster based on small finesse skill, go small on D and cheap out in net? It's almost dumb or something.
and to add to this....why would anyone let someone do that?

Reactions: HolyCrap

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I can never figure out why it’s always on marner to be successful he has to carry the team on his back in the playoffs
Don’t we have a 69 goal scorer who should be doing that
Who is as bad or worse than marner in all the other lay-off seasons
100% it is on all 4 or 5. Unfortunately for Marner he is the pending UFA. Said it before, I'd move all of them and start fresh if we could but everybody knows that is not happening.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Said it at the time, the AAV Dubas gifted him was his ticket out of Toronto. Had Tre traded Nylander, there was a chance to keep Marner. If these 3 clowns really wanted to win, they'd have gotten together with Leafs management and worked out numbers that were team friendly. They chose the money, now one by one they need to GTFO unless they lead the team to some playoff success.
Why would they even think about getting together when management was giving out money like candy? Shanahan and Dubas were the ones who decided to negotiate as if the cap was $100 million.
At the end of the year they’re anywhere from the 10-16th best team. That’s the absolute worst place to be.
I think perennial 17-24th finishes is the worst place to be.

Whacky5

Jun 9, 2019

My point was, that we wasted $15 million (75% of our available cap) and people act like if we had more we are automatically better, it just isn't true.
You make it sound like Treviling was here last season. When was Tre hired? Did you think Shanahan would let him loose and do whatever he wanted with the team when he only got hired on May 31?
He had to asses what kind of team he had first before putting his fingerprints all over the team.

Just imagine him getting hired on May 31, and swapping players in and out last year and not knowing what kind of team he had here. He came into a massive mess, is what he came into. Shanahan the biggest one.

He at least tried getting more "snot" into the team because he knew we didn't have it. He gambled on a puck moving defenceman because frankly we really only had Rielly. Last year's free agent class wasn't all that great to begin with. I have no idea what you expected him to do but he loses either way. Damn if you do or damn if you don't.

This year we will see more of his fingerprints on the team. Including the head coach.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
and to add to this....why would anyone let someone do that?
We aren't cheaping out. Woll will get $4m for 30 games. That's expensive. We now don't have much money left. Two good dmen could cost $14 million and zap our cap is gone. Let's hope they can sign Domi, Bert and Debrusk for 600k each. I'm sure they would take a discount so Marner can get his $12.5 million. Rofl.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Why would they even think about getting together when management was giving out money like candy? Shanahan and Dubas were the ones who decided to negotiate as if the cap was $100 million.

I think perennial 17-24th finishes is the worst place to be.
So true. I'm guessing that if they wanted to play together and be successful as a team, they needed to leave some money on the table. Don't know whether they care, but their greed and underwhelming playoff success means Marner now has to be thrown overboard because we cannot afford him.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
You never mentioned 'value' in the post I initially quoted. You alluded to Matthews and Marner only being in it for the money when Nylander has shown to be the biggest culprit.
Value wasn't even part of the topic in my post. I said Matty mainly the money, but for Marner I said money and his home town..

Why do you think Nylander is the "biggest culprit" when looking for money when four players took more previously, and he has outperformed all but one of them, and Marner will almost certainly be looking for more now?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You make it sound like Treviling was here last season. When was Tre hired? Did you think Shanahan would let him loose and do whatever he wanted with the team when he only got hired on May 31?
He had to asses what kind of team he had first before putting his fingerprints all over the team.

Just imagine him getting hired on May 31, and swapping players in and out last year and not knowing what kind of team he had here. He came into a massive mess, is what he came into. Shanahan the biggest one.

He at least tried getting more "snot" into the team because he knew we didn't have it. He gambled on a puck moving defenceman because frankly we really only had Rielly. Last year's free agent class wasn't all that great to begin with. I have no idea what you expected him to do but he loses either way. Damn if you do or damn if you don't.

This year we will see more of his fingerprints on the team. Including the head coach.

You make it sound like Treliving wasn't employed before coming here... he knew what was happening in the league.

He made the team worse, that is a fact.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
We aren't cheaping out. Woll will get $4m for 30 games. That's expensive. We now don't have much money left. Two good dmen could cost $14 million and zap our cap is gone. Let's hope they can sign Domi, Bert and Debrusk for 600k each. I'm sure they would take a discount so Marner can get his $12.5 million. Rofl.

Sure you quoted the right post ?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Not based on results, we regressed.

Which signings were your favorites?

How was Bert? Reaves? Samsanov? Klingberg?

He had $20 million last summer and $20 million again this summer.
If you go merely by point totals, we didn't do as well.

If you look at the overall team play, we were better.

I guess it's really only your (notbias) perspective.

Bert and Domi were good, Sammy was a leftover but Jones was good, Klingberg was unfortunate but cost nothing, and even Reeves was tolerable.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Whacky5

Jun 9, 2019
You make it sound like Treliving wasn't employed before coming here... he knew what was happening in the league.

He made the team worse, that is a fact.
Worse how? Looks like the same crap the Leafs been putting out over the past 8 years. There's no difference. The core is still the same tho. Maybe there's an issue there? Maybe? Maybe the coach too?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If you go merely by point totals, we didn't do as well.

If you look at the overall team play, we were better.

I guess it's really only your (notbias) perspective.

Bert and Domi were good, Sammy was a leftover but Jones was good, Klingberg was unfortunate but cost nothing, and even Reeves was tolerable.
I wasn't pleased with Reaves contract but considering the damage Dubas did to the culture of this team and physical mentality he developed. I think it was necessary to speed up building the confidence and physical play of this team. Any other enforcer and I think the egos on this team drown him out. Reaves was very close to being drowned out but came back in after being scratched and made an impact. Reaves is essential an enforcer with a star reputation.

Reactions: egd27

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
100% it is on all 4 or 5. Unfortunately for Marner he is the pending UFA. Said it before, I'd move all of them and start fresh if we could but everybody knows that is not happening.
Couldn’t agree more.
For the it’s all Marner’s fault crowd, no, it’s not.
However for the sake of not going nuclear, others are in a better position to start with.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Worse how? Looks like the same crap the Leafs been putting out over the past 8 years. There's no difference. The core is still the same tho. Maybe there's an issue there? Maybe? Maybe the coach too?
Remember when Burke said Bobby Ryan couldn’t spell intensity.
That’s the problem with the sum of our core.
Together, in the playoffs, they can’t spell that word all together.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Value wasn't even part of the topic in my post. I said Matty mainly the money, but for Marner I said money and his home town..

Why do you think Nylander is the "biggest culprit" when looking for money when four players took more previously, and he has outperformed all but one of them, and Marner will almost certainly be looking for more now?
As mentioned, he sat out to get paid and would have walked to UFA this season had his demand not been met.

Taking to long just trade him! 😄
Silly to expect anything to happen before July 1.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

My point is that cap space is a good thing and the idea that it isn't because our GM won't spend it wisely is dumb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad