Prospect Info: With the 3rd overall pick in the 2024 Draft, the Ducks take Beckett Sennecke

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I'm kind of blown away they didn't trade back. I know, i know... pepople will say "take your guy at 3 if you really like him!"...but still....frustrating
I'm wondering if a fair deal to trade down would have been with Montreal, let's say because they wanted to jump Columbus in case they were on Demidov... where a potential deal would be maybe 3+31 for 5+21? I don't claim to know how the math works on trade backs, but that seems in the neighborhood? Just for argument's sake, if this were to happen, guess who we would have picked in those slots... Sennecke and Stolberg. I guess in that case we'd save the late 2nd.

Anyway, just food for thought.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Why would Montreal give up a second round pick to secure Demidov when they can just get him for pick 5?

Trading down in a draft only works if you have someone willing to trade up AND you wont lose the player. Columbus and Utah were both in on Sennecke it just wasnt possible to trade back.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
He's a terrific pick.

Being Russian played a part in passing on Ivan D. Why go thru :

1) The risk of losing a player to the KHL,
2) The difficulty of negotiating with Russian players/agents,
3) A higher than average under performance (bust) factor with Russian players,

when you can get a 6'2" Canadian kid with a ton of upside? Maybe they looked at the kid and saw the next Wyatt Johnston and they were worried others saw the same thing?

Could Anaheim have traded down and still got Sennecke? Maybe. Unless they heard other teams were interested.

Again, terrific pick.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck
Oct 18, 2011

His consensus ranking was 13th. I hope this kid kicks ass, but it was a reach, also Madden said there were 8 players in consideration for this pick and that the top 12 was really good, so if they traded down and someone else picked him, not the end of the world. I don't feel the Ducks maximized the value of the 3rd pick that's my gripe. Clearly they see something that most don't but Verbeek has yet to earn the benefit of the doubt to just "trust him" and if you are going off the board like this you better not miss.

I don't think it's comparable to Carlsson, Carlsson was pretty much consistently a top ranked player all year, Sennecke you're pretty much just Disregarding everything from the first few months of the season and completely buying into the last few, maybe they're right but was the value of the 3rd pick maximized? In my opinion no

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

His consensus ranking was 13th. I hope this kid kicks ass, but it was a reach, also Madden said there were 8 players in consideration for this pick and that the top 12 was really good, so if they traded down and someone else picked him, not the end of the world. I don't feel the Ducks maximized the value of the 3rd pick that's my gripe. Clearly they see something that most don't but Verbeek has yet to earn the benefit of the doubt to just "trust him" and if you are going off the board like this you better not miss.

I don't think it's comparable to Carlsson, Carlsson was pretty much consistently a top ranked player all year, Sennecke you're pretty much just Disregarding everything from the first few months of the season and completely buying into the last few, maybe they're right but was the value of the 3rd pick maximized? In my opinion no
From that sense, Lindholm pick was also him having a spectacular end of the year where you look at the total stats and have no idea why we picked him

Reactions: Ducks DVM

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Consensus schmonsensus, if Columbus liked him, he was gone. Simple as that. Ducks got their guy.

To complain how they didn't get extra picks or whatever is pretty silly considering how well they did with the trade and Solberg pick, gaining multiple spots worth of "draft pick value" in that trade. Would and should honestly have given up more to move up 8 spots.

The 3rd or 4th rounder means next to nothing at this point, much rather get the ones we like.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
What I want to know is how is his hockey IQ/hockey sense ? I hear alot about his speed, hands and drive to the net.
He has elite vision. Possibly his best trait. He knows where everyone is on the ice so he can make those crazy passes out of nowhere when he isn’t even looking anywhere near his linemate. That’s a huge part of why he was selected at 3.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Anyone here claiming to know how long he would have lasted, or saying we definitely could have moved down to get him - you guys are absolutely kidding yourselves if you think you actually have a better idea than Madden and Verbeek of how that would have played out. Borders on narcissism to somehow think you have your finger on that pulse more than them. They've been having those discussions with teams for days (weeks) now and you haven't.

GermanRocket7

Make Bettman irrelevant again
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
Dare I say this? I'll just do:

I actually never bothered reading about Sennecke at all, because he seemed so out of perspective for a top-3 pick. The more I read and watched about him now, the more I understand the reasoning behind the pick.

There's a player who has a lot of very intriguing facets to his game, but he doesn't stand out in any single metric or discipline. He's just all-around good. That turns off some scouts, even NHL ones, who are literally getting paid to find prospects with standout abilities, because GMs and coaches want to have players that fit a certain niche and are easy to pinpoint to for specific situations within a game.

But in comes Sennecke, who undeniably has a huge toolset, but lacks the tool box and a frequent motor on a nightly basis - and within a few months seems to find just these missing dimensions of his game and re-invents his whole game.

Yes, part of it is this late growth spurt and him having to adjust to his "new" body and frame. But he's making scouts look silly, especially that scout from the Black book someone here posted, who just complained about him "falling on his ass" all the time and "having no real traits".

A player that finds his tool box so late in his development is a sign of something positive between the ears, and that's something I feel PV values a lot more than other GMs. Carlsson comes across light years ahead of Fantilli regarding intelligence. Sennecke seems to fit exactly that mold compared to people like Lindstrom, Demidov, and Silayev, who probably would have a hard time finding a real job if it wasn't for their athletic prowess.

*insert Danny DeVito "I get it now" meme*

Sennecke is an anti-Sbisa. He really seems to have found a way to re-design himself as a player completely, and that's a rare thing usually only the best can do. Remember Bedard and inventing a new shot technique after breaking his wrist in order to minimize the pressure on it - these are traits you can't teach, but are innate.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Dare I say this? I'll just do:

I actually never bothered reading about Sennecke at all, because he seemed so out of perspective for a top-3 pick. The more I read and watched about him now, the more I understand the reasoning behind the pick.

There's a player who has a lot of very intriguing facets to his game, but he doesn't stand out in any single metric or discipline. He's just all-around good. That turns off some scouts, even NHL ones, who are literally getting paid to find prospects with standout abilities, because GMs and coaches want to have players that fit a certain niche and are easy to pinpoint to for specific situations within a game.

But in comes Sennecke, who undeniably has a huge toolset, but lacks the tool box and a frequent motor on a nightly basis - and within a few months seems to find just these missing dimensions of his game and re-invents his whole game.

Yes, part of it is this late growth spurt and him having to adjust to his "new" body and frame. But he's making scouts look silly, especially that scout from the Black book someone here posted, who just complained about him "falling on his ass" all the time and "having no real traits".

A player that finds his tool box so late in his development is a sign of something positive between the ears, and that's something I feel PV values a lot more than other GMs. Carlsson comes across light years ahead of Fantilli regarding intelligence. Sennecke seems to fit exactly that mold compared to people like Lindstrom, Demidov, and Silayev, who probably would have a hard time finding a real job if it wasn't for their athletic prowess.

*insert Danny DeVito "I get it now" meme*

Sennecke is an anti-Sbisa. He really seems to have found a way to re-design himself as a player completely, and that's a rare thing usually only the best can do. Remember Bedard and inventing a new shot technique after breaking his wrist in order to minimize the pressure on it - these are traits you can't teach, but are innate.

Well said. I would echo that I didn't really dig in on this player because he really just wasn't projected to be an option. But I find everything I see and read, to be super intriguing. He has 5'10 skill and motor in a 6'3 developing frame and that's very exciting.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I keep seeing people say he is lacking iq. that’s crazy. Go watch his tape, he is a very intelligent player. He is also rated very high in hockey iq by that reporter that was grading anll of the prospects and PV directly stated his IQ is elite. Not sure where that argument even came from because is exactly the oppositie.
I think because it didn't directly call out hockey sense directly in a couple of the scouting articles I and I'm sure others read.

I was wondering the same thing because these reports on the other hand were mentioning the handling and skating ability.

They were however mentioning vision, playmaking and passing ability so l suppose in a way scouts were intimating that his hockey IQ is good. Now that Verbeek specifically addressed that as a reason why they rated him so highly l'm feeling better about it, clearly wasn’t like a toolsy selection from the Murray era.

Reactions: Trojans86

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
28th overall vs 3rd overall

Perry was apart of literally the best draft class of all time, and would still obviously go well within the top 10 in a re draft.

Outside of getting caught up in the consensus rankings of people who aren't employed as NHL scouts, what's not to like here? The fact that you compared him to Tracey, tells me you must haven't even bothered to watch a single clip, there is zero comparison to be made between them. It doesn't take long to see what they were seeing. He has a very rare combination of vision, reach but also small area skill (ie able to maneuver around/within his own feet with ease) and can utilize these while in motion at a pretty high pace. The upside is quite blatantly obvious, and there were no sure things in this draft after Celebrini.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Boo Boo

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Asking as someone who's 5'7"...what are the chances that Sennecke puts on a couple more inches after that massive growth spurt?

I don't know about still growing couple inches but he sure looks young and will be a different beast in 4-5 years.

If that kid is around 6'3 185 lbs now, it would be no surprise to see him top out around 6'4 210/215. Similar frame to Pers or Getzy

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Consensus means nothing except what the average team thinks. I don't want us to be average. Consensus had Peter Forsberg as a late 1st not a 6th overall. If they traded back to 15 and had someone snake him at 10 they'd have had a lifetime of regrets.

If it's true they had it down to 2 guys, the farthest you can trade back is 1 spot. But what if Columbus was also down to 2 guys? And what's that one spot worth? At that point just take your guy.

This whole calculating how far to trade down ... THAT would be an example of trying to be the smartest guy in the room. And that's how you miss out on the guy you rated higher. If you want the Ducks to just draft by consensus then you should hope they fire Madden and the scouts, and PV can just buy draft previews. Cheaper and easier.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I can’t make an assessment of this pick, don’t know the player or didn’t watch him play. I’ll be honest, have not really been paying attention to this draft. I want the Ducks to start competing as soon as next season. So July 1st have been more circled on my calendar, because of Verbeek trying to get help for the Ducks now.

But it seems this kid has a lot of potential and will be fun to see his progress, similar to when we traded for Gauthier and watching his progress.

Not sure what bearing this has on Zegras future in a Ducks jersey, but this kid seems to be at least a couple of years away, so it gives Zegras some time to prove he can still be part of this core.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I keep seeing people say he is lacking iq. that’s crazy. Go watch his tape, he is a very intelligent player. He is also rated very high in hockey iq by that reporter that was grading anll of the prospects and PV directly stated his IQ is elite. Not sure where that argument even came from because is exactly the oppositie.
Low hockey IQ is the go to when they have nothing else to criticize. Not a worry, these were the same analysts that questioned Carlsson's skating.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
It is easy to draft when you know. Pavel Datsyuk would be a top pick, as would have been Pasternak or Kucherov.

Thing is, we don't know and there were valid reasons why Perry was at 28th.

Would I take Pears in his draft year at 3. Hell no. Even with the knowledge of today I doubt I would have taken him to 3. Personally, I have Getzlaf, Bergeron, Pavelski, Burns, Suter and Weber ahead of him.
I have to agree. That was a crazy stacked draft. But if you know a guy you want will be gone, sometimes you make a tough choice.

If Madden and Verbeek are so far off on this pick it doesn’t bode well for our future.

John

Last edited:

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Seems like a big reach for me, but what do I know, our scouting staff says he’s the guy. Knowing our history I’d be more comfortable about this had we reached for a defenseman.

I know we’ll probably never get such a thing, but I’d be extremely interested in seeing an interview or similar discussion, where they go into detail on how they ended up choosing Sennecke over Demidov.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Seems like a big reach for me, but what do I know, our scouting staff says he’s the guy. Knowing our history I’d be more comfortable about this had we reached for a defenseman.

If you trust our scouts to spot good D, then you should trust it when they DON'T take a dman too. Maybe they considered someone (Buium?), or they might have only liked Lev at that spot, but who knows.

I know we’ll probably never get such a thing, but I’d be extremely interested in seeing an interview or similar discussion, where they go into detail on how they ended up choosing Sennecke over Demidov.

We don't even know if Demidov was the other guy they considered. Clearly for at least 3 teams he was not next best after Celebrini. For all we know, he went exactly where most teams had him ranked.

Reactions: Kalv and Boo Boo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad