Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
If everyone knows playoff hockey is played in this ground and pound style with tons of obstruction, where a hot goalie can be the ultimate trump card, why would anyone build a roster based on small finesse skill, go small on D and cheap out in net? It's almost dumb or something.
for one, the hot goalie can be a guy who started the playoffs as the eventual champ's number 3. or a goalie who just got traded straight up for one of the worst contracts in the league.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
What we’re hearing about the Maple Leafs’ plans for free agency, Mitch Marner - The Athletic

4. The wild card in all of this is — yes, we know, you’re tired of hearing about this — what happens with Mitch Marner. If he’s dealt, it could fill one of the needs mentioned above. It could also open up more cap space.

And it could leave them even thinner on the wing and in terms of scoring punch.

Based on what we’re hearing, the Leafs — in their exploration of a Marner trade through calls to teams around the league — are already getting a good sense of the challenges involved with making this deal.

One, in particular, seems to be a lack of teams that a) Marner would conceivably accept a trade to that can b) accommodate his $10.9 million cap hit for next season and c) are willing to send back piece(s) the Leafs would find attractive, which would ideally include an impact defenceman.

There’s also the extension that Marner and his agent, Darren Ferris, would have to work out with said team, assuming that Marner even consents to the trade.

The timeline alone seems to be working against a trade, as does the fact his camp continues to broadcast that they have no intention of waiving a no-movement clause to facilitate a deal.

But, as mentioned, the Leafs are certainly exploring all of their options throughout the lineup right now, including what might be available in return for Marner.

Reactions: ACC1224

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
One week from today we could be waking up knowing Marner will anchor the 1st line, PP1, and the PK.

The bad news: RD34, Styles and JT are likely his teammates.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Philosophical question.

If everyone knows playoff hockey is played in this ground and pound style with tons of obstruction, where a hot goalie can be the ultimate trump card, why would anyone build a roster based on small finesse skill, go small on D and cheap out in net? It's almost dumb or something.
NJD is going to be hyped as contenders but as of now they’re a little too small.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Who's paying the bills in this scenario? The employer or the employee?
good question, I had read on here that the employer doesn't care about winning and just wants to sell merch, which is why they don't care to move on from their pampered starboys. in that scenario the all-flash no-heart stars are paying the bills, if you think about it

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This "our GM sucks so maybe we shouldn't trade Marner" argument makes no sense whatsoever.

As far as trading him making us better just due to cap, you might not be sure but it certainly looks like a logical assumption. Perhaps not in the regular season, but playoffs for sure.
The odds of Treliving building an Eastern conference contender in the next two or three years are very slim. I think there’s a greater chance he won’t be the GM this time next year.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
What we’re hearing about the Maple Leafs’ plans for free agency, Mitch Marner - The Athletic

4. The wild card in all of this is — yes, we know, you’re tired of hearing about this — what happens with Mitch Marner. If he’s dealt, it could fill one of the needs mentioned above. It could also open up more cap space.

And it could leave them even thinner on the wing and in terms of scoring punch.

Based on what we’re hearing, the Leafs — in their exploration of a Marner trade through calls to teams around the league — are already getting a good sense of the challenges involved with making this deal.

One, in particular, seems to be a lack of teams that a) Marner would conceivably accept a trade to that can b) accommodate his $10.9 million cap hit for next season and c) are willing to send back piece(s) the Leafs would find attractive, which would ideally include an impact defenceman.

There’s also the extension that Marner and his agent, Darren Ferris, would have to work out with said team, assuming that Marner even consents to the trade.

The timeline alone seems to be working against a trade, as does the fact his camp continues to broadcast that they have no intention of waiving a no-movement clause to facilitate a deal.

But, as mentioned, the Leafs are certainly exploring all of their options throughout the lineup right now, including what might be available in return for Marner.
If he stays as a lame duck next year he'll be put thru the wringer, and frankly, it'll look good on him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
There’s a real possibility that a $100 million, $12.5 million over 8 years isn’t even on the table for Marner anywhere. Maybe if he was super popular in Toronto and we were very successful and had to have him back. Sure you could leverage your way to that. Now? I think the same as the Nylander deal is an over pay.
Well I can think of one place Pittsburgh were it might be an option to replace a soon retiring Malkin/Crosby as a future replacement.

However if this is an option and Leafs want to move on then it would be in Marner's best interest to waive his NMC to rejoin his former GM and get the new next contract he wants.

Not many other teams including his present one might not have an appetite for that contract, and based on Marner's playoff resume I agree it might be difficult to convince other teams he is the Best winger/player in the game to validate that ask,

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I expect them to fully explore moving Marner but ultimately whether they can or not is based on a ton of factors so I’m not getting ahead of anything here. It’s still highly probable Mitch is a Leaf next year. This is what happens when the player holds all the power.

Reactions: ACC1224

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I think we should be fair to Treliving in our expectations. Trying to trade an 11m player with one year left is HARD. Especially when the player's got a NMC, such limited options. Then throw in the fact that the guy's got a bit of a bad playoff reputation and half his fanbase is trying to run him out of town. I bet the other GM's are just snickering on the other end of the phone, Brad is in real danger of losing this trade, he might just decide the better choice is to hang onto Marner, forcing a trade would be disastrous.

Similarly, I think we should be fair to Marner in the playoffs with our expectations. Have you seen the size of NHL players? Competing against them when they're going all-out is HARD. Charlie McAvoy is a dirty player, he cheats all the time, how is Marner supposed to compete with that!? And when the puck was behind the net with no goalie in front, did you see the freight train that was coming to hit Marner (probably Carlo, who's elbows are at Mitch's face level)? How can you expect a guy to put his body on the line like that, just way too hard. No, the playoffs are too long of a grind, too much of a marathon. You can't risk getting hurt for a single play like that, that's just inviting a disaster.

Really, if we don't trade Marner this summer, I hope we sign him for eight years of Matthews money. He and this org were made for each other. You see it on his face when he sits in the penalty box.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I expect them to fully explore moving Marner but ultimately whether they can or not is based on a ton of factors so I’m not getting ahead of anything here. It’s still highly probable Mitch is a Leaf next year. This is what happens when the player holds all the power.
Agreed but IMO, finding a trade partner that can meet the Leafs and Marner's demands is more likely the reason he plays out the season as a Leaf. IMO he is not worth anything close his ask. As Bunkis said, I do not want him back at 10.9. I am not sure what number I would want him back at or if i even want him back. Need to now what his teammates think of him before making that decision

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think we should be fair to Treliving in our expectations. Trying to trade an 11m player with one year left is HARD. Especially when the player's got a NMC, such limited options. Then throw in the fact that the guy's got a bit of a bad playoff reputation and half his fanbase is trying to run him out of town. I bet the other GM's are just snickering on the other end of the phone, Brad is in real danger of losing this trade, he might just decide the better choice is to hang onto Marner, forcing a trade would be disastrous.

Similarly, I think we should be fair to Marner in the playoffs with our expectations. Have you seen the size of NHL players? Competing against them when they're going all-out is HARD. Charlie McAvoy is a dirty player, he cheats all the time, how is Marner supposed to compete with that!? And when the puck was behind the net with no goalie in front, did you see the freight train that was coming to hit Marner (probably Carlo, who's elbows are at Mitch's face level)? How can you expect a guy to put his body on the line like that, just way too hard. No, the playoffs are too long of a grind, too much of a marathon. You can't risk getting hurt for a single play like that, that's just inviting a disaster.

Really, if we don't trade Marner this summer, I hope we sign him for eight years of Matthews money. He and this org were made for each other. You see it on his face when he sits in the penalty box.
Tre probably loses the trade but how badly will be determined by what he does with the extra cap space. Great regular season player and we will miss him until April when he goes into hibernation. Needs to be a Yeti.

As for being fair to Marner wrt expectations. If you want $12.5m, there are no excuses. Either give the team a huge discount or GTFO.

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
I kind of hope Marner stays as a lame-duck pending UFA, and then puts up a 120 point season while single-handedly carrying this team deep into the playoffs next season before re-upping in June 2025 for 13 x 8. It'd be one hell of a redemption arc even if a highly improbable one at that lol

• Haha
Reactions: supermann_98

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
these no movement clauses can come back to bite you
Said it at the time, the AAV Dubas gifted him was his ticket out of Toronto. Had Tre traded Nylander, there was a chance to keep Marner. If these 3 clowns really wanted to win, they'd have gotten together with Leafs management and worked out numbers that were team friendly. They chose the money, now one by one they need to GTFO unless they lead the team to some playoff success.

I kind of hope Marner stays as a lame-duck pending UFA, and then puts up a 120 point season while single-handedly carrying this team deep into the playoffs next season before re-upping in June 2025 for 13 x 8. It'd be one hell of a redemption arc even if a highly improbable one at that lol
Yup and I hope I win the lottery.

Seriously I'd gladly pay him only 500K more than his ask if he put up 120 points and carried the team deep into the playoffs. It is his $100m ask and the core's lack playoff of playoff success that I have no interest in.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I guess we should be kissing Marner's ass or something? Let's worship him because in his own words he's a "god" in this town, right?
1719408467258.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad