Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
This is the problem. Unless he

jesus what a straw argument lol
It’s bad when posters now are blaming marner for Keefe and his coaching style
Yep he said to Mitch
Hey Mitch what do you want to do tonight let me know so I can let the boys know lol
What a crock

It’s not Marner’s fault, Keefe thought that was how we were going to win for whatever reason. It’s just a joke to say Keefe was holding Marner back when his oZone strategy was centered around Marner holding the puck and playing at a tempo that suits his game. Keefe holding back Marner would be forcing them to play a counter attack speed game or a north south netfront game that Marner simply isn’t built for.

Which of our big money forwards benefits most from a slow east west game? Nylander is built for speed, Tavares is built for messy netfront grinding, Matthews is built for a heavy cycle.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It’s not Marner’s fault, Keefe thought that was how we were going to win for whatever reason. It’s just a joke to say Keefe was holding Marner back when his oZone strategy was centered around Marner holding the puck and playing at a tempo that suits his game. Keefe holding back Marner would be forcing them to play a counter attack speed game or a north south netfront game that Marner simply isn’t built for.

Which of our big money forwards benefits most from a slow east west game? Nylander is built for speed, Tavares is built for messy netfront grinding, Matthews is built for a heavy cycle.
I really hope Berube stays committed to keeping Matthews and Marner separated, Matthews' game with Bertuzzi/Domi was a breath of fresh air.

Let Marner work his alleged linemate carrying magic with Tavares for a whole year.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I really hope Berube stays committed to keeping Matthews and Marner separated, Matthews' game with Bertuzzi/Domi was a breath of fresh air.

Let Marner work his alleged linemate carrying magic with Tavares for a whole year.

It’s not a hard no for them ever playing together for me but they need to rebalance who does what and when. Matthews can rag the puck around much better than Marner, he should be carrying it in the zone more often and Marner should be disappearing to find soft spots on the ice to suddenly appear in. Matthews is great at finding that ice but every single opposing gameplan is going to be built around not losing track of where the 6’3 rocket winner is.

I’m not saying to run Marner with Reaves and Dewar, just stop pretending he’s Kane, Panarin, or Kucherov. He doesn’t need to get every zone entry or get 75% of our o zone possession time on his stick, he’s not built that way. Just use him like a normal high end playmaking winger instead of using him like he’s a 50 goal 100 assist transcendental threat.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I could see Draisaitl getting $13 million x 7 or 8, but Marner? Absolutely not, and there's no basis for it.
He belive he deserve close to what Matthews get. And that's around 13x8 because Matthews could probably get around 15x8 with the new cap. 12,5(Marner will not take 11,5) or 13 is not a big jump.

I would go down in salary. The agent and union should still be happy with 9.5 and comparables. And i could not care less if they were happy or not. I would be the team hero earning more in a month then 99% of the fans earn in a year.

Reactions: Bejeezus and arso40

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Marner is a lock to be a Career Leaf if he's not traded before game 1 of the regular season.

Assets like Marner don't walk for free. He will be extended long term @ the 12-13 mil he's asking for.

You guys have a few months left to mentally accept this and get over it.

It's true Marner has been a bit pathetic in the playoffs, maybe more than "a bit" at times, but it's also true he's still an amazing player and closer to superstar than he is all-star. So cheer up. Life can be much worse than running it back with a superstar, hoping he finally has a post-season breakout.

Lol. The vast majority of Leafs Nation is not going to accept that. Unless he starts stepping it up in the playoffs (which I can't see happening at all. Even under Berube) then you're going to see the fan base turn on him.

Reactions: arso40

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
He belive he deserve close to what Matthews get. And that's around 13x8 because Matthews could probably get around 15x8 with the new cap. 12,5(Marner will not take 11,5) or 13 is not a big jump.

I would go down in salary. The agent and union should still be happy with 9.5 and comparables. And i could not care less if they were happy or not. I would be the team hero earning more in a month then 99% of the fans earn in a year.

Matthews is a big franchise #1 centre, and arguably the best goal scorer in the league, and has won numerous regular season awards (though any Leaf fan would rather him win a Conn Smythe and a Cup). What is Marner? Really. He wanted Matthews' money last time and didn't get it because he's not as good, nor as valuable...he could demand all he wants, he won't get a $100 million contract...he'll be lucky to get Nylander's deal. Look at what Reinhart and Guentzel just signed for...Marner is delusional.

Reactions: Al14 and arso40

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Matthews is a big franchise #1 centre, and arguably the best goal scorer in the league, and has won numerous regular season awards (though any Leaf fan would rather him win a Conn Smythe and a Cup). What is Marner? Really. He wanted Matthews' money last time and didn't get it because he's not as good, nor as valuable...he could demand all he wants, he won't get a $100 million contract...he'll be lucky to get Nylander's deal. Look at what Reinhart and Guentzel just signed for...Marner is delusional.
He'll get it from the Leafs

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Ok :DD

In line with Mitch's spam group. Proving my point , thanks. For the record, if Mitch is 180, I'm close to 315 :)

Plus you are confusing angry with hopeful. Hopeful, we'll get better results than the absolute playoff embarrassment this lil fella guarantees :DD

To quote Leafs players: "Stop f*#cking crying bruh" ;)

Did Mitch ignore you in a autograph huddle? Does your GF have him as her wallpaper background on her phone? Did he pick you last for road hockey? Did he make you go skins when you went skins vs shirts? It feels obsessively personal to you? Your disdain for one particular player for the failure of 20 men + coaching staff is noticeable. Why Mitch only?

Playoff embarrassment this little fell guarantees? Individually he is a PPG player over the last two playoffs vs the 3 of the top 6 goalies in the world. He plays about 20 minutes a night, who is responsible for the other 40 minutes when he does not play? If he only threw more hits that would be all the difference, if he only ate better that would be the all the difference, if he stopped avoiding hits and took more hits that would be all the difference, I've heard a lot of nonsensical blame in this thread but blaming one guy for the failure of many, seems stupid? The angry pitch fork crowd sounds like that singer who is bouncing off hundreds of different crappy riffs till they find one they like, they have no idea where they are going or what they are doing until they find a repeatable riff that sticks.

So we move Mitch, who takes his place, who is the mystery playoff performer that is going perform better than a PPG, be cheaper than Mitch and play a tough in your face type game? Who is the anti Mitch that is available .... I'll take 5 names ...

Last edited:

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I find this argument curious when its brought up, like if we trade Marner we will revert back to those old dark days. Just maybe they can use that 11-12 m to add to the team. Why is it always the doom and gloom scenario when talking about 16 being dealt? Or as one other poster said if we let Marner go, the leafs have 0% chance of making the playoffs......really?

No I’m not saying that at all. They almost certainly won’t collapse if they trade one player. But MLSE sees it as a risk, so they’re going to be very, very careful before making any trade.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Did Mitch ignore you in a autograph huddle? Does your GF have him as her wallpaper background on her phone? Did he pick you last for road hockey? Did he make you go skins when you went skins vs shirts? It feels obsessively personal to you? Your disdain for one particular player for the failure of 20 men + coaching staff is noticeable. Why Mitch only?

Playoff embarrassment this little fell guarantees? Individually he is a PPG player over the last two playoffs vs the 3 of the top 6 goalies in the world. He plays about 20 minutes a night, who is responsible for the other 40 minutes when he does not play? If he only threw more hits that would be all the difference, if he only ate better that would be the all the difference, if he stopped avoiding hits and took more hits that would be all the difference, I've heard a lot of nonsensical blame in this thread but blaming one guy for the failure of many, seems stupid? The angry pitch fork crowd sounds like that singer who is bouncing off hundreds of different crappy riffs till they find one they like, they have no idea where they are going or what they are doing until they find a repeatable riff that sticks.

So we move Mitch, who takes his place, who is the mystery playoff performer that is going perform better than a PPG, be cheaper than Mitch and play a tough in your face type game? Who is the anti Mitch that is available .... I'll take 5 names ...

ROFL

Again just proving my point with this pathetic deflection. Also it's funny to think of Mitch as some kind of women magnet, but that's besides the point. Marner faithful would love to discuss anything but his pathetic playoff performance.

Oh yeah, the moronic argument, that Mitch playing 25 min of scared hockey bears the same amount of responsibility as 19 other players, good one. Not to mention, both Matthews and Nylander are far superior to Mitch when it comes to playoff scoring or generating chances in general. Don't get me started on his excuse of shot and CRYING on the bench :D. Mitch is great at picking up secondary assist when the game is over. The best at it :D

We have the best goal-scorer in the league. You with your pathetic propaganda trying to deflect from obvious locker room cancer and prototype of playoff failure are not fooling anyone.

Can't wait for the next set of wannabe insults as deflection!! Wish Mitch was half as relentless in playoffs as his army of trolls.

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
ROFL

Again just proving my point with this pathetic deflection. Also it's funny to think of Mitch as some kind of women magnet, but that's besides the point. Marner faithful would love to discuss anything but his pathetic playoff performance.

Oh yeah, the moronic argument, that Mitch playing 25 min of scared hockey bears the same amount of responsibility as 19 other players, good one. Not to mention, both Matthews and Nylander as far superior to Mitch when it comes to playoff scoring or generating chances in general. Don't get me started on his excuse of shot and CRYING on the bench :D. Mitch is great at picking up secondary assist when the game is over. The best at it :D

We have the best goal-scorer in the league. You with your pathetic propaganda trying to deflect from obvious locker room cancer and prototype of playoff failure are not fooling anyone.

Can't wait for the next set of wannabe insults as deflection!! Wish Mitch was half as relentless in playoffs as his army of trolls.

You calling anyone a troll is laughable.

Additionally don’t you find it odd that Ryan O’Reilly was trying to persuade his GM to acquire a locker room cancer?

Don’t you guys get tired of making shit up? Marner may avoid contact and not be best suited for playoff hockey but he’s def not a locker room cancer.

Matthews, Rielly, Domi, all the depth guys have spoke at various times saying they love the guy. That’s that! At some point we gotta draw a line between just making shit up to get reactions and posting things that are factual.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You calling anyone a troll is laughable.

Additionally don’t you find it odd that Ryan O’Reilly was trying to persuade his GM to acquire a locker room cancer?

Don’t you guys get tired of making shit up? Marner may avoid contact and not be best suited for playoff hockey but he’s def not a locker room cancer.

Matthews, Rielly, Domi, all the depth guys have spoke at various times saying they love the guy. That’s that! At some point we gotta draw a line between just making shit up to get reactions and posting things that are factual.
That's all many of them do is make stuff up. I really wish more would make better use of the Ignore List for all our sake.

Reactions: 666 and francis246

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
right. because the cool kids talk about marner being on someone's cell phone.

so much cooler.

make sure you don't ignore them.

for your sake of course.

ignore lists are for the mentally weak. (if marner could only have one for big meanies in the NHL)

Reactions: definedMF and IPS

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
No I’m not saying that at all. They almost certainly won’t collapse if they trade one player. But MLSE sees it as a risk, so they’re going to be very, very careful before making any trade.

The person he’s referring to is me and he’s of course taking it out of context. My point is this. Trading Marner now makes no sense. The best time would have been before the draft or on day 1 of UFA, so you can get the best value for him and then flip whatever assets you get to acquire more good pieces (I.E. a Sergachev) or Kirby Dach/Debrincat trade like last year. Or even PLD.

If you trade Marner now, it’s most likely going to be for futures/picks and probably a cap dump type player. It will not make the team better. We didn’t improve our forward core this off-season, so we’d be a much worse team. There aren’t UFA’s currently available worth spending that cap on. So we’d have to wait until mid-season or even the TDL to flip the assets we’ve gotten from Marner and make use of the cap space we have. So until we could do that, who is supposed to replace his offense? It’s unrealistic to then think that Cowan or any other prospect on the Marlies would replace Marner’s production this season. So we would def be a worse team until that cap space and or assets are flipped and utilized. You risk being bad for at least 1 year.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Marner still a Leaf?
The topic has been completely ignored by media and the fans so I'd thought I'd ask.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Sorry I missed a few days.

TRADE MARNER

Just getting in my daily rep, like this savage.

1331660438_bike_wheelie_bench_pressing.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad