Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
You brought up a series that happened a week after a series I brought up... not years ago.

Read my other post... Marner will never use his body as the first option to separate players from the puck.

For how much Hyman is not afraid to use his body, he sure sucks at takeaways. Marner is producing a lot more using only his stick.

Salaries are based on a mixture of multiple things and most based on regular season, hate to break it to you.

If you don't like how players are paid, maybe write all the GMs?
So MM had played terrible in two of the three series over the past two seasons.

If you need to use defensive stats to justify a 11mil forward as being useful. Agents will love you if you ever become a GM.

If salaries are based mostly on regular season, why do players who had great playoffs always ended up getting a huge raise?

I don’t understand why you are keeping your crusade to defend MM, he has been choking big time. That’s just a fact.
Now he isn’t the only one of our top guys, as JT is a lot worse.

When comes to trading MM. I would trade AM if the package is great. Point is, Leafs winning the Cup is the goal and not AM or MM leading the Leafs to a Cup.
If trading MM improve the team chances, why not. Same applies to any players.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

What do you even do with someone who'll deny reality right in front of their eyes.

I truly think you don't understand hockey or human anatomy.

How is he supposed to be aware of where the puck is if he isn't looking at it?

Was the puck flat on the ice or boards here? It'll change the speed of it coming around the boards.

To me this looks like a player misjudging the speed of the puck, being aware he is going to get hit, and trying to judge how he will react.

Once again, I don't think you've played enough to understand that he is in a vulnerable position and needs to be aware of the player coming in.

He can also be scared, I'm not sure if he is, he may very well be, and it's why he loses the puck, but this isn't him bailing on the play purposely.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

Sheldon Keefe reportedly afraid of what would happen if he benched Mitch Marner​

each player in their own way. Friedman went on to say that it will be interesting to see how new Leafs head coach Craig Berube approaches things with players.
He was not reportedy afraid of what would happen if he benched M Marner. He dealt with "each player in their own way."

• Haha
Reactions: arso40 and ACC1224

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Sure!

He lost track... of a puck... going around the boards. He literally watched his own D fire the puck around the boards.

This has to be trolling, there's no other way.

you have one now.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
That's actually 2 there goldfish, scroll up and read more.

Calling someone "Goldfish" sounds like you like the person by the way, it doesn't sound like an insult no matter how many times you say it, I find it weird and creepy, so if that's your objective, good job.

First one, I've explained multiple times, and I just don't think you have the brain capacity to understand.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Calling someone "Goldfish" sounds like you like the person by the way, it doesn't sound like an insult no matter how many times you say it, I find it weird and creepy, so if that's your objective, good job.

First one, I've explained multiple times, and I just don't think you have the brain capacity to understand.
You attempted to, don't think anyone's gonna buy it but atleast you attempted it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
On our current roster he has been our best playoff performer. The way to improvement is to start by replacing that guy. Makes sense to most around here. Not me..

I have no doubt you are making the case that Marner has been our best playoff performer based on career points totals in the playoffs, but if you were asked could you reference 10 or even 5 memorable playoff games where Marner was flat out dominant and looked like an all-star level player?

As mediocre as Matthews and to a lesser extent Nylander have been, I can do that for those two. With Marner, I can’t think of too many games where he dominated. You’ll probably point out the 3 assist game vs Tampa when the Lightning blew out the Leafs.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I have no doubt you are making the case that Marner has been our best playoff performer based on career points totals in the playoffs, but if you were asked could you reference 10 or even 5 memorable playoff games where Marner was flat out dominant and looked like an all-star level player?

As mediocre as Matthews and to a lesser extent Nylander have been, I can do that for those two. With Marner, I can’t think of too many games where he dominated. You’ll probably point out the 3 assist game vs Tampa when the Lightning blew out the Leafs.
You do know this poster had been stating Leafs will not make the playoffs without MM, plus/minus stats are more important than Goals, and MM is by far the most important Leafs ever. 😆

Reactions: arso40

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
As I’ve said, Marner is a mental midget and is not a guy you go to playoff battle with.

This is not some 20 year old. Hes going to be 28. Why are we talking about him “figuring things out” at his age, like he’s a rookie?

Competing, battling, give a crap is something you are born with. If you don’t have it by 27, with the experiences that Mitch has had, he just doesn’t have it.

I personally want him far away from Cowan in particular. Cowan, if anything, would be schooling Marner on compete and grit.

He’s become toxic at this point. You can check out the Marner thread for proof.

If he goes into next season unsigned, it will be a shit show from before the season starts, and will only get worse. It’s already started.

Bad for Marner, who already shows he can’t hack criticism or his ego being damaged.

Bad for the locker room, being distracted and divided.

Bad for the team on so many levels, from salary cap space to missing out on UFAs/trades that would help us fill more holes across our entire roster.

Marner is not Satan and he’s not the only reason why we have failed. Management owns all the failures, including bringing these losers back over and over again.

Why Marner is the focus is because Nylander and Matthews are signed, Marner is not and his contract expectations risk handcuffing this team even longer, with more years of wasted cap on a core that isn’t good enough.

When you need change, Marner is the easiest to get rid of. Tavares is overpaid, but he has 1 year left and could have value going forward as a 3C afterwards, provided it is at a significant discount. If not, bye JT.

That’s not the scenario we are at with Marner.

Losing Marner will hurt, and the ideal situation is that he takes reasonable deals and ups his compete level in the playoffs, but that hasn’t happened, ever, and only an idiot would think it’s going to happen as he gets older. Marner does not rise to challenge.

You can’t expect Berube to unleash Beast Mode Marner because it doesn’t exist. Babcock and Keefe challenged him and look how it ended for them. Babcock was a psychopath asshole but he saw it, and Keefe had to navigate with caution with sensitive Mitch.

That is some seriously messed up shit to be happening on a world class professional sports team.

This is the NHL, not Kindergarten and Mitch can take his special case of “the feels” and shove it up his arse, sideways.

It’s just how he’s built, and what he brings is good, but it’s not good enough and not what we need to win.

The Team comes before everyone else.

He needs to move on.
If you think Marner is a wuss, what about the 2 coaches he chased out? lol! I’m glad neither are steering this ship anymore, I guess I should thank Marner.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If you think Marner is a wuss, what about the 2 coaches he chased out? lol! I’m glad neither are steering this ship anymore, I guess I should thank Marner.
Nobody hated Babcock more than me but boy did he definitely was seeing something that nobody else saw when he was having Mitch writing the hard worker list. Seems like he knew about Mitch's compete issues from day 1.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Are you happy that a player chased out the coaches? Should we add Lou and Dubas to his accomplishments too?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Mitch is the king of empty calorie points, it's no secret.

I'll take some brutal punishing physical play on the wrong end of a blowout playoff game instead of some meaningless assists.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
You do know this poster had been stating Leafs will not make the playoffs without MM, plus/minus stats are more important than Goals, and MM is by far the most important Leafs ever. 😆
Ever? lol, he is the 2nd most important on the current team. Fortunately I won’t be able to prove we wouldn’t make the playoffs without Mitch because he isn’t going anywhere next year. Now the year after could be a strong maybe he leaves and then we will see. lol!

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Ever? lol, he is the 2nd most important on the current team. Fortunately I won’t be able to prove we wouldn’t make the playoffs without Mitch because he isn’t going anywhere next year. Now the year after could be a strong maybe he leaves and then we will see. lol!
Are you still a Leafs fans if MM is traded this summer? Going to miss your plus/minus stats argument.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Ofcourse, lol
That’s good bc for a second, you seemed more like a stalker of MM than a real Leafs fans with your comment. Was about to report you to Rocket Security.

Here is what I don’t understand, If you are a Leafs fans, would you rather Leafs trade MM for assets than let him walk for nothing, like you mentioned a few posts ago.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
That’s good bc for a second, you seemed more like a stalker of MM than a real Leafs fans with your comment. Was about to report you to Rocket Security.

Here is what I don’t understand, If you are a Leafs fans, would you rather Leafs trade MM for assets than let him walk for nothing, like you mentioned a few posts ago.
It’s a prediction of what is going to happen not what I want to happen.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Marner doesn't have a compete issue either.

It is crazy to see people complain about production from Marner, and then also be the same people defending Hyman/Kadri (not sure you are that person).

Kadri had 10 points in 19 games
Hyman had 13 points in 32 games
Marner has 50 points in 57 games

Can someone make it make sense?
There's a reason a former player like O'Dog is willing to state on the air how disappointed he is in Marner and how moving on from him is obviously the right move. Do you think if you showed him your spreadsheet he'd change his mind?

I'm just using him as an example because he has more credibility than the average media personality but it seems like 99% of people with an opinion share the opinion that Marner wilts in the playoffs. If you watch the guy play it's easy to see how different he is when the pressure is on, how do you not see it?

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Blah blah blah blah blah points. Passes to the point, lucky fluke shots from the blue line, points in garbage time or blowouts games 1-4, lack of goals, lack of clutch moments, horrendous play with turnovers and scared plays along side those "points." This year against Boston, he was completely exposed for a fraud. Just like he was in the Florida series, just like he was in the Habs series.

It's tiring arguing with people about Marner because people just make an argument without any context that's been discussed. No one has the energy to repeat on end forever. It's a lot easier to just ignore shit you don't like I guess.
The way you describe this it could apply to both matthews and nylander

• Haha

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
There's a reason a former player like O'Dog is willing to state on the air how disappointed he is in Marner and how moving on from him is obviously the right move. Do you think if you showed him your spreadsheet he'd change his mind?

I'm just using him as an example because he has more credibility than the average media personality but it seems like 99% of people with an opinion share the opinion that Marner wilts in the playoffs. If you watch the guy play it's easy to see how different he is when the pressure is on, how do you not see it?

I've said it 200 times, moving on from a player is fine if it makes us better.

I also don't care what most TV personalities think, out of the TSN crew, Johnson is one of the only ones I respect.

And yes, if you watch him play, and ignore half the series he's played, he wilts.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Marner doesn't have a compete issue either.

It is crazy to see people complain about production from Marner, and then also be the same people defending Hyman/Kadri (not sure you are that person).

Kadri had 10 points in 19 games
Hyman had 13 points in 32 games
Marner has 50 points in 57 games

Can someone make it make sense?
I’ll try
All marners points were flukes going in off point shits
Not one point was deserved or made a difference
He only got points early in the series. Those points didn’t get us to the seventh game
His points are secondary assists
He doesn’t score in the big games like matthews and nylander to win a seventh game
I think I covered all the bullshit excuses

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad