Value of: Mitch Marner this offseason (2.5 mil retained)

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
This is Marchessault spilling the beans on how he scored so many backbreaking goals [2x Hatties] against the Oilers (And how Cassidy outcoached Woodcroft).

He did the same against Dallas the next series. He just was given SOO many opportunities down low by exploiting coverage that drew defenders away from the net. Basically the entire gameplan was to figure out different ways for Marchessault to evade defensive assignments. And he created almost NONE of that from scratch.

I saw this goal by Brock Boeser the other game.

And even though it wasn't on the PP, I did one of those Leo Decaprio pointing meme
View attachment 865818

ONE for ONE it can be described EXACTLY like a PP goal the Oilers scored on them the year before:

It's insane how EXACT this is.

Its clearly obvious the Canucks like what they saw and practiced this SET play. This is the kind of shit that Matthews and Marner should be doing.

Excellent points, thank you for this analysis recap.

And how the Leafs have, or have not, managed to develop their own NHL level exploits with arguably a top-notch roster with players of many different skillsets? Well that is a big question....maybe some fans will chime in with set play magic from the Leaf PP.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
26 year old 95 pt selke level winger for 775k. Sure sounds like a mistake.

I guess they could be aiming for marchessault?

Who is the right shot top line winger they are looking at?
Didn’t say he was a bad player. Verbeek just wants hard nosed players. If hes all these things and so good seems like a mistake to trade him? Sorry your feelings got hurt Mitch.

aerovette99

Jan 11, 2014
Atlanta
I’ll give you Tom Wilson 1 for 1 no retention.
No you WONT. Wilson plays hard for 6 million vs. Marner, who scores a bunch in the regular season but then dies out because he doesn't want to get hurt in the playoffs when he isn't making a dime.. 10.9 million vs. 6 million.. Hard pass

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Didn’t say he was a bad player. Verbeek just wants hard nosed players. If hes all these things and so good seems like a mistake to trade him? Sorry your feelings got hurt Mitch.

its not about the player. It sounds like he maywant to move on due to media/family stuff.

If he wants to extend for real at a Willy like rate . We keep him.

Mitch wants to remain a Leaf long term.

If he does. He can sign a reasonable rate. Every player says that when they live here.

Lots of smoke he was ready for a trade last year from people who would know. We will see. If he signs great.

Reactions: LuGBuG

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
So I know that it's not going to be "impossible" to move a player with a No Move Clause but between Marner's big cap hit, limited term, and the fact that he can control his own destiny, I really don't see a lot of landing spots for him to go.

If we look at the cap space around the league at the end of the season, there aren't many that have a Mitch Marner sized amount of space in their cap.

1715031018081.png

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
LOL resign him at a low contract? He'll just leave and you lose him for nothing.

Low contract, better deal, use whatever word you want. Toronto can’t afford to pay a third forward 11M. Try and get him for a better deal on term, otherwise move him in a sign and trade so he gets the 8th year. You don’t let him leave for nothing. Why would you even suggest that?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
So I know that it's not going to be "impossible" to move a player with a No Move Clause but between Marner's big cap hit, limited term, and the fact that he can control his own destiny, I really don't see a lot of landing spots for him to go.

If we look at the cap space around the league at the end of the season, there aren't many that have a Mitch Marner sized amount of space in their cap.

View attachment 866004

#1... The Leafs are going to want some form of NHL players back.

#2... After July 1, Marner is a VERY easy retention candidate given that his salary is league minimum.

While the list of teams prepared to resign him at $11.5m may not be that long, the list of teams that would be prepared to part with a $5-6m player on their roster to replace him with Mitch Marner probably includes all 31 other teams in the league.

Nuke

Mar 2, 2007
Sabre's offer Skinner, Jokiharju, Krebs, and our 2024 1st for Marner.

Or...

Swap out Krebs and swap with Ostlund/Kulich/Rosen for an extended Marner.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Marner would be the best player on most of your favourite teams. Let's not pretend if they did him without an extension he wouldn't hold value.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyWooot

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Marner isnt going anywhere. He wants to be there, he won't waive. Shannahan doesn't want him to leave, he won't let him go for nothing. He gets his blank contract to fill out whatever ridiculous number he wants as the "core 4" always do. Leafs continue to blame periphery players on expiring contracts and coaches for their failures.

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
Apologies for not going through 25+ pages, but what are some of the more likely teams that Marner a) waive to b) have the cap/roster set up to sign him long term?
Utah? Seattle? Nashville? Are Anaheim and Chicago close enough to starting to contend to jump in?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Apologies for not going through 25+ pages, but what are some of the more likely teams that Marner a) waive to b) have the cap/roster set up to sign him long term?
Utah? Seattle? Nashville? Are Anaheim and Chicago close enough to starting to contend to jump in?
I would add

Njd
nyi
Vegas
La

Those are guesses. No one reall knows where he would want to go.

They could fit him. Have pieces and need scoring

Reactions: Buttonwood

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
While his disappointing performance is fresh, I think Leafs can get some good pieces for him. Won’t be a haul but they can get players to help improve the roster.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
He doesn’t fit in with Verbeeks style in Anaheim, and he’s signed for 1 year. They won’t be contending yet. No chance they give up the assets for him.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Why would he want to stay in Toronto, is my question. Gotta be miserable now. You ain’t about that hockey life, young homie, just call your shot and pull up on a San Jose beach. Tell Matthews to kiss your ass all the way from Arizona to Utah, ski slopes, but you know he just gonna fail again next playoffs.
San Jose beach?

Reactions: TheDawnOfANewTage

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Seems difficult to try to find a spot where Marner, Tavares, Rielly waives. However, what about a blockbuster with the Blue Jackets? I'm sure Gaudreau would like this. Maybe all 3 of the Leafs players waive if they know they are going to the same team?

Not likely to happen but hey, we are here to talk about some wild stuff right? This is the type of move the Leafs might need.

Marner, Tavares, Rielly
for
Werenski, Laine, Jiricek

Leafs try to trade for S Knight and sign Monahan to play center.

Blue Jackets use their pick to take a D to replace Jiricek.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Seems difficult to try to find a spot where Marner, Tavares, Rielly waives. However, what about a blockbuster with the Blue Jackets? I'm sure Gaudreau would like this. Maybe all 3 of the Leafs players waive if they know they are going to the same team?

Not likely to happen but hey, we are here to talk about some wild stuff right? This is the type of move the Leafs might need.

Marner, Tavares, Rielly
for
Werenski, Laine, Jiricek

Leafs try to trade for S Knight and sign Monahan to play center.

Blue Jackets use their pick to take a D to replace Jiricek.

Laine and Matthews on the same team?

Jesse Pollock's head would explode.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Laine and Matthews on the same team?

Jesse Pollock's head would explode.

Who's adding on that 3/3 blockbuster? I'm not sure. Blue Jackets are getting the better assets but Marner/Tavares are pending UFA's. Blue Jackets probably say no right?

From the Leafs perspective (not sure what team you cheer for), Do they like this as a change they are looking for? Jiricek would be a good add to their back end with Werenski. Laine brings in shot power and goal scoring ability but 2 years left.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Who's adding on that 3/3 blockbuster? I'm not sure. Blue Jackets are getting the better assets but Marner/Tavares are pending UFA's. Blue Jackets probably say no right?

From the Leafs perspective (not sure what team you cheer for), Do they like this as a change they are looking for? Jiricek would be a good add to their back end with Werenski. Laine brings in shot power and goal scoring ability but 2 years left.

Columbus would definitely want some kind of assurance that both JT and Marner wouldn't just split after a year.

It'd be a wild change for the Leafs, for sure, but maybe a good one if Laine can stay healthy for once.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Columbus would definitely want some kind of assurance that both JT and Marner wouldn't just split after a year.

It'd be a wild change for the Leafs, for sure, but maybe a good one if Laine can stay healthy for once.

The kind of shakeup fans are talking about right? Seems very difficult to move the guys with the NMC though. Maybe they waive if they go together. No idea

Blue Jackets might ask for the sign/trade with Tavares and Marner. I know Gaudreau would like this move. Signs to be on a island by himself. lol.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The kind of shakeup fans are talking about right? Seems very difficult to move the guys with the NMC though. Maybe they waive if they go together. No idea

Blue Jackets might ask for the sign/trade with Tavares and Marner. I know Gaudreau would like this move. Signs to be on a island by himself. lol.

Yeah that's the kicker, if neither Marner or Tavares want out then the Leafs are pretty much stuck with them, unfortunately.

Gotta love those iron-clad NMCs handed out like candy.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah that's the kicker, if neither Marner or Tavares want out then the Leafs are pretty much stuck with them, unfortunately.

Gotta love those iron-clad NMCs handed out like candy.

I would like to imagine that if they are asked to waive, they know they are not wanted or they know the Leafs want to move in a different direction.

Who wants to stay when they know the team wants a change? Put yourself in their shoes, they likely want to talk extension after July 1st and if that is not possible, that last year will be rough with the fans/media all over them. Trade rumors increase.

I also don't think they want to screw over the Leafs that much. A lot of energy was spent on trying to win and it didn't work. If they find out they are not part of future plans, their perception might change.

I don't know... just guessing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad