Value of: Mitch Marner this offseason (2.5 mil retained)

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
wouldnt give up much for him hes never gonna help your team win in the playoffs hes a regular season assist machine is all. been proven for 8 years now.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
As a leaf fan - we won’t get what we want for him. His value probably at all time low, and he is not a playoff guy. Going to be super hard to move him let alone get a good return.
Agreed. Very difficult to trade him given his salary, his term, his NMC, his attitude (immature, entitled), what the next contract demands will be and the stench of playoff failure.

He is young enough and scores enough that it would take massive humility to accept a cut in pay. Marner and humilty are not words I associate together.

Reactions: MajorWeber

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
If the wings traded for him and signed him long term I think I would quit watching hockey. Sure he gets points but not in the playoffs and I greatly dislike soft players and hes the softest

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Ryan Pulock + Brock Nelson + 18th overall pick

Toronto solidifies the D, gets a 30 goal scorer to help replace some of Marner's production and some extra value

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
What can the Wings offer to get Marner (without retention) + Knies?

To Detroit: Marner + Knies + 2nd

To Toronto: 1st + Berg + Rass + JT/Copp + ???

/dodgetomatoes
Forget about knies, he isn't going anywhere for anything that is deemed fair value. He is big, physical, talented and solid defensively already.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I think if it IS Marner that goes, I think we can expect a Larsson for Hall type of trade that seems underwhelming.
I see it similarly, an example would be Pulock + 2024 1st for Marner @ 25% retained. Underwhelming but likely necessary.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I do not get the retention. As other have pointed out. I love playing with numbers and as others have pointed out.

MM last 4 years is 7th in overall points with 348 pts

6 players in front of him?

Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Nathan MacKinnon (12.6), Mikko Rantanen (9.25), Artemi Panarin(11.64), and Auston Matthews(11.63). MM (10.9.03)

For what MM does? He is perfectly paid and plays a complete game. While he may not be as physical as some he a well formed played.

11M guys are expected to show up in the post season and be leaders

Not even close to being worth his money. The other players on the list are players teams have been building around

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
And if he doesn't, then it is what it is.

This is just a message board to discuss hypotheticals.
Hypothetically, if Marner is willing to waive to NYI and sign longterm for less than 10M, and grow a pair of balls in the offseason, then the Leafs should get back very good value.

Hypothetically...

Realistically? Well probably not.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Hypothetically, if Marner is willing to waive to NYI and sign longterm for less than 10M, and grow a pair of balls in the offseason, then the Leafs should get back very good value.

Hypothetically...

Realistically? Well probably not.
Not sure what your point is. We're both just fans and don't know what Marner (or Nelson or Pulock, for that matter as they have some NTC protection) actually think.

Just looking to argue since your team got bounced again in the first round?

Reactions: dukeofjive

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Not sure what your point is. We're both just fans and don't know what Marner (or Pulock, for that matter as he has some NTC protection) actually think.

Just looking to argue since your team got bounced again in the first round?
My point is - its unrealistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad