Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
And Hyman had a much more impactful regular season than Marner did this past season. Everybody says McDavid makes him but guess who goes in the corner and gets the puck to McDavid and Draisaitl.

For someone so good at retrieving the puck, you'd think he would have more than 35 takeaways (tied for 179th in the league).

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
There is talk Reinhart is willing to take between $8.5 to $10 mil to stay in Florida 🤮, 57 goal scorer at less than $10 mil and we gotta pay $11.5 to keep Willie here.... The league wants a cap to make parity in the league a thing but has teams who sponge off rich teams to stay afloat or they have such a favourable tax environment players take pay cuts to go there, how is that establishing parity? Cap should be based on take home pay.
After we paid him 6.9 for 6 years to out perform he's 11 mil teammates in the playoffs being regulated to secondary lines
I really hate defending Marner, but, the comments against him are just looney.

I have a clear vision of a shift on game 7, where he gained the zone and was circling in the zone looking for a F to pass to (Domi or Bert at that point) and both were engaging in stupidity, and neither looking to go to open ice, or a passing position. ...then Marner got clobbered and lost the puck.
Now, it looked bad on Marner, but, whose fault was is really??

Marner is a playmaker/passer, not a goal scorer, so, when he has nobody open to pass to, he's kinda screwed.

He really needs to work on his shot more(though its better than it was before), and use it more, as he doesnt even come close to using it enough to become a shooting threat.

then there is the idiot Keefe who puts Marner and Domi together, a 85% pass first guy (Marner) and a 95% pass first guy (Domi) with Bert who just SUCKED and never got open and couldnt receive a pass even if he was open!!!

I really hope we do not resign Bertuzzi!!
You don't give a play maker that can't score a raise on 10.9

Reactions: PromisedLand

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
And that's why I've engaged repeatedly with many respected posters here about Marner criticisms and I've done so myself. It's the children like you that aren't worth it. You're lost dude, go enjoy your summer instead of this esoteric circle jerk with the other trash. It's so laughable this crew.
Respected posters.... Boring. Nice try though.

Shaming language, the "insult" from the simple, doesn't work on those like me who recognize it for what it is. It's very feminine behaviour from an alleged male poster.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Paying a player $100M like Marner wants would definitely require higher approval than Treliving. Pelley would have to approve it or possibly take it to the Board. All this extension talk is just posturing by the Leafs through the media because they’re getting low balled in any trade talks. The bigger issue might be other teams won’t pay Marner what he wants. Neither are a valid reason to re-sign him though and Treliving knows that. Leafs need two top four dman and a goalie and the $12M Marner will want is needed to go towards that bigger need.
They're getting "lowballed" because unlike the delusional Marner fans, other GMs have seen Marner's performance and know his true worth. Hockey is a very tight close knit community. Everyone involved knows EVERYTHING.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You just attacked a poster in another thread

Call me crazy but I have trouble believing a tweet from the self proclaimed King of sarcasm

lol Thank you, literally was about to comment about the attack in the other thread. It’s comedy hour haha. It’s been back and forth insults between the same opposing posters for weeks

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
People assume that trading Mitch suddenly makes the Leafs a better team.

1) Tre would have to hit a win in the trade. How many trades did he win in Calgary?
2) The team has to replace Mitch's 90 points through better defence or through like for like offence.
3) JT is no spring chicken his production will start to decline.
4) We need a 1A goalie to compete with perennial Veznia candidates Swayman, Vas, Bob
5) Our Defence is garbage we need to improve our D significantly, dressing Rielly up as a 1 when at best he is a 2 wont work any more.
6) We need some of our prospects to hit and stick and become impact players.
7) We need to improve team speed, we move the puck slow, we skate slow.
8) The bottom of our forward groups are useless anchors, Gregor, Dewar, Holmberg, Reaves, Jarnkrok, Kampft --- what do they do exactly to help this team win?
9) Berube's system in Toronto is yet to be proven effective, some say he was in the right place at the right time, some say he is the next coming of Bowman and is going to bring us to the promised land.

If fans think , we trade Mitch and all of a sudden we are on par with Florida/Boston and other elite teams in the East they are fooling themselves.

There is a difference....

M. Tkachuk wanted out of Calgary; Tre didn't want to trade Tkachuk or let Gudreau walk as UFA

We want Marner to be traded to improve the team or worst case scenario walk as a UFA

The 90 points crap needs to die already. We need WINS and PLAYERS who produce when IT MATTERS! Having 4 forwards next year at 11+ AAV is absolutely STUPID. This is Dubas BULLSHIT again trying to f***ing do that nobody in the league is doing because of some galaxy braining shit

There are in total 32 teams in the league of which 16 make the playoffs and of which 8 team go on to play 2nd round and beyond. Not all of require "Marner" to be successful.

This player worship needs to end. TEAM matters more than player. LOGO on the front matters more than name on the back. Period!

Last edited:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Lol. its not like that
You're right, this topic is serious. Why would a successful owner of a Facebook sports group lie?

I'm mostly being a dick, I have no clue how trustworthy he is and wouldn't be surprised if we at least explore an extension.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
This Seravelli guy knows as much as we do.

Wouldn't surprise me if he just comes to this site for his next article. I've become convinced this site is mined by the media and journalists for feeds. I can't even count the number of times I've read articles that looked like they just reworded a page from one of these threads.

If it looks familiar there's probably a good reason why.
everybody has a take .marner holds the cards .but i doubt pelley will endorse more money and any more 8 year deals
marner will be spent in 4 years of berube

Reactions: PromisedLand

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
lol Thank you, literally was about to comment about the attack in the other thread. It’s comedy hour haha. It’s been back and forth insults between the same opposing posters for weeks
I sling mud too, so I'm not pretending I'm above it, just tough to suck and blow at the same time

Reactions: francis246

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
They're getting "lowballed" because unlike the delusional Marner fans, other GMs have seen Marner's performance and know his true worth. Hockey is a very tight close knit community. Everyone involved knows EVERYTHING.
the players know .he stays in toronto ,he wont make the olympic team

You just attacked a poster in another thread

Call me crazy but I have trouble believing a tweet from the self proclaimed King of sarcasm
if he gets 12 million .ill be the king of ex leafs fans

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Yes because I don’t nitpick to try and win a strawman argument. If you’re on the top line my expectation is for you to produce. I’m not a fan who gives a shit about salary or money. When I watch sports in general (besides the NHL) salary cap is a non-factor honestly. the NHL is really the only sport where the cap matters this much to fans because of the restrictions placed by the league. But for me, cap hits don’t really factor into whether I like a guy or not. I carry that same feeling throughout all sports.

I’m not sitting there when Robertson does something stupid and say, oh you only make 950k, I’m not as mad, when Marner does something stupid, you make 11 million I’m more mad. I don’t operate like that. My response is equal
It's so obvious you're a player advocate. Sorry you never made it to the NHL.

Salary vs. performance (or lack thereof) matters in a salary cap league, dude.

You're another of the soooooo transparent. Just stop. You out yourself with every post.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Not ideal but Marner already has a butt ugly contract as his current one, and I'm afraid there will be very little interest around the league to give him a raise from current.

We might need 2 teams carrying a portion of his contract just to make it stomachable.

Look at a player like Nikita Kucherov the best winger in the game.

View attachment 885111

Kucherov has 4 X had over 100 points in a season. Last year he had 100 assists alone .. Marner has never recorded 100 pts yet,

Kucherov lead his team to 2 X Stanley Cups and nearly 3 in a row while leading the playoffs in scoring. Heck Kucherov has scored 53 playoff goals, while Marner has 50 playoff points total after 8 seasons.

Kucherov makes $9.5 mil AAV while Marner already makes $10.9 mil. Marner already has one of the WORST NHL contracts when returning value for cost.

Now name a team GM out there that might be willing to play Marner +$12 mil and also send quality assets Leafs way?

Kucherov makes his line mates better.

Marner NEEDS an elite center to produce. They are NOT in the same tier

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
I've been defending Marner all through this thread, not because I'm a fan, but, because I realize what he is and worth.
I was in favor of trading him before he signed the last deal, and am in favor now too, but, only if we get a good enough return.

Fiala (who is basically Marner super-lite) got Faber plus a 1st so, my expectation is a young potential #1D man and a 1st as a bare minimum.

LA just cleared a ton of cap space, a deal starting with Brandt Clarke, a 1st and another decent piece (like Kaliyev) as an example. (i doubt we could get Byfield, though I'd start by asking for him of course)
Does Fiala want $12.5 million dollars AAV?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

M. Tkachuk wanted out of Calgary; Tre didn't want to trade Tkachuk or let Gudreau walk as UFA

We want Marner to be traded to improve the team or worst case scenario walk as a UFA

The 90 points crap needs to die already. We need WINS and PLAYERS who produce when IT MATTERS! Having 4 forwards next year at 11+ AAV is absolutely STUPID. This is Dubas BULLSHIT again trying to f***ing do that nobody in the league is doing because of some galaxy braining shit

There are in total 32 teams in the league of which 16 make the playoffs and of which 8 team go on to play 2nd round and beyond. Not all of require "Marner" to be successful.

This player worship needs to end. TEAM matters more than player. LOGO on the front matters more than name on the back. Period!

I’m on board with trading Marner we better spend the money properly otherwise we will end up in a worse situation.

That is the key, they have to reallocate that money to the right players. They have to. Not only that but we have to reset the internal cap and ensure our ELC guys know, getting paid before producing days are over.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I want that too but what I really want is a team I can feel good about cheering for. If everything is left out on the ice and its obvious to all that is what happened, I can live with the losses. Don't get me wrong, I want to win, but I want to see a team I can be proud of win or lose.
Sure, I would like that too. The more games the better - with or without Marner.

Reactions: myleafs

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
I didn't but you already knew that. You change direction so many times and throw in things that have nothing to do with what is being discussed in a thread I can't keep up. Gaslight much?

How it feels to be in a conversation that includes you....

Someone asks is the sky blue, and you answer, well I guess if you had gone to school and got educated like me then you would understand that just because you wear tennis shoes it doesnt make you a tennis player.

Your motives are disingenuous, and it just it ain't my cup of tea. Carry on. I assume a godlike response is on its way.
You just nailed his MO. Hard!

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It's so obvious you're a player advocate. Sorry you never made it to the NHL.

Salary vs. performance (or lack thereof) matters in a salary cap league, dude.

You're another of the soooooo transparent. Just stop. You out yourself with every post.

Yeah I played pro before, not pro hockey. So for the most part my perspective is player based, not always team based. Just because I’ve been in similar situations, so it’s out of habit. You’re not wrong about that.

Yes it matters to NHL teams. 100% But what does it matter to me personally when I’m on my couch watching the game?

Oh boo hoo, I’m gonna go cry in the corner cause I’m not in your little club LOL.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007

Every team in NHL History that has ever won the Stanley Cup has won it without Marner on the roster.

FACT!:naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad