Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It may mean nothing but a lot of the top guys from the LA organization have been in Toronto the last few days. They were meant to fly back to Florida yesterday to catch the game but there was an issue with the aircraft. I ran into one of them at my workplace today and although he didn’t come straight out and say they were speaking about a trade we spoke for a while and he made a comment about “working on something” and it falling through because the Leafs “always have to have it their way”

I don’t see any other reason for these guys to meet in person unless they were making a huge deal and there was serious intent on both sides to get a deal done. If anything happens you heard it here first lol
Well that certainly was not true when Dubas was GM. He caved to the Kings who held out for Durzi over Lily, added a 4th for Foligno and caving to the Sens who would not retain 50% of Murray's contract. But he would not take anything less than a 3rd from the Oilers so they could give Hyman an 8th year.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It may mean nothing but a lot of the top guys from the LA organization have been in Toronto the last few days. They were meant to fly back to Florida yesterday to catch the game but there was an issue with the aircraft. I ran into one of them at my workplace today and although he didn’t come straight out and say they were speaking about a trade we spoke for a while and he made a comment about “working on something” and it falling through because the Leafs “always have to have it their way”

I don’t see any other reason for these guys to meet in person unless they were making a huge deal and there was serious intent on both sides to get a deal done. If anything happens you heard it here first lol
Interesting.
To the bolded, are they referring to Treliving always having it his way?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Playoff Marner >>> Playoff Hyman without McDavid

Unfortunately, we saw how bad that version could be here.
Not when you look at what they’re paid………

Matthews has been injured for multiple years which drags down Marner's #s both at ES and the PP.

Also, Marner played with an injured Hyman apparently which also drags down his #s.

Marner is actually a great playoff performer but he has played with injured players, I am sure you are aware of this.

Does this work both ways or no?
Look a shiny new excuse generator……..

1718826519574.jpeg

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Matthews has been injured for multiple years which drags down Marner's #s both at ES and the PP.

Also, Marner played with an injured Hyman apparently which also drags down his #s.

Marner is actually a great playoff performer but he has played with injured players, I am sure you are aware of this.

Does this work both ways or no?
No, not even close. You should check out some recent posts by @Antropovsky that break down the numbers, injured or not Matthews has done pretty well and the further away from Marner he is, the better he gets. Marner without Matthews on the other hand IIRC is pretty much an empty bag of tricks.

Last edited:

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
No, not even close. You should check out some recent posts by Antropov that break down the numbers, injured or not Matthews has done pretty well and the further away from Marner he is, the better he gets. Marner without Matthews on the other hand IIRC is pretty much an empty bag of tricks.

Yeah a big worry I have with Marner is without an elite scoring #1C his numbers will drop. He’s had the privilege of being stapled to either prime Tavares or prime Matthews most of his career and he’s clearly benefited.

Paired with a less than excellent Tavares they weren’t as good. When Mitch was with Bertuzzi and Domi he didn’t score either, even though Matthews and Nylander had no problem working with those two.

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
may mean nothing but a lot of the top guys from the LA organization have been in Toronto the last few days. They were meant to fly back to Florida yesterday to catch the game but there was an issue with the aircraft. I ran into one of them at my workplace today and although he didn’t come straight out and say they were speaking about a trade we spoke for a while and he made a comment about “working on something” and it falling through because the Leafs “always have to have it their way”

Just one season after inking an eight-year, $68-million extension with the Los Angeles Kings, Pierre-Luc Dubois is on the move again.

The Kings shipped Dubois to the Washington Capitals in exchange for goaltender Darcy Kuemper, the teams announced.

It's a one-for-one trade, and no salary was retained on either side.

They are making room for Marner ?

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Just one season after inking an eight-year, $68-million extension with the Los Angeles Kings, Pierre-Luc Dubois is on the move again.

The Kings shipped Dubois to the Washington Capitals in exchange for goaltender Darcy Kuemper, the teams announced.

Sounds like their is smoke

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

We can only hope. You'd think LA would've learned their with Dubois.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Interesting.
To the bolded, are they referring to Treliving always having it his way?
I don’t know, I was trying to act like a casual so he would spill info but he was pretty secretive. I’m surprised he let that comment drop. He specifically said the leafs, I have no idea if he actually meant Treliving or maybe someone in the organization

Reactions: LeafEgo

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
They wouldn’t have buyers remorse until the first round, until then it would be sunshine and lollipops………..

I say let them find out. Whichever teams bites for Mitch will have buyers remorse by the end of the season.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Well that certainly was not true when Dubas was GM. He caved to the Kings who held out for Durzi over Lily, added a 4th for Foligno and caving to the Sens who would not retain 50% of Murray's contract. But he would not take anything less than a 3rd from the Oilers so they could give Hyman an 8th year.
Fair enough, it’s actually funny that you bring up Hyman. He said the worst mistake the leafs made was letting go of Hyman. He said that they went after Hyman hard and the only thing that prevented Hyman from becoming a King was the term that he wanted.

Also said that he has a lot of respect for Hyman and that he’s genuinely a good person

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I say let them find out. Whichever teams bites for Mitch will have buyers remorse by the end of the season.
Not necessarily.

Marner’s dipsy doodle game works in the regular season.

He could help increase ticket sales in some locales.

He’d be a great spokesperson for a hockey glove company that sells indestructible gloves.

“even withstands the 4 year old tantrums of Mitch Marner”.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Not necessarily.

He’d be a great spokesperson for a hockey glove company that sells indestructible gloves.

even withstands the 4 year old tantrums of Mitch Marner”.
Never gets old………

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Not necessarily.

“even withstands the 4 year old tantrums of Mitch Marner”.
I'm betting Ryan Smith and Bill Armstrong have called Tre. Mitch would wow that fan base and give them a shot at making the playoffs.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I think if you gave Shanahan the choice between a guaranteed Cup that he would get no credit for and he would lose his job today or guaranteed first round exits and another 3 to 4 years of earning paychecks for doing little to absolutely nothing, he picks choice B every time. He's here to squeeze every dollar out of the team before they realize what a total fraud he is. For a long time, his selling of the core is what he used for that purpose. Now that tactic is starting to be a detriment, he's dashing for darkness like a roach with a flashlight on him.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
I'm betting Ryan Smith and Bill Armstrong have called Tre. Mitch would wow that fan base and give them a shot at making the playoffs.

And if they miss the playoffs, he packs his truck and heads to the cottage instead of pretending in the post-season. A win-win for both.

I think if you gave Shanahan the choice between a guaranteed Cup that he would get no credit for and he would lose his job today or guaranteed first round exits and another 3 to 4 years of earning paychecks for doing little to absolutely nothing, he picks choice B every time. He's here to squeeze every dollar out of the team before they realize what a total fraud he is. For a long time, his selling of the core is what he used for that purpose. Now that tactic is starting to be a detriment, he's dashing for darkness like a roach with a flashlight on him.

Yep. That much is obvious.

• Haha
Reactions: socko and ToneDog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad