Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Do you think losing Marner makes us better?
Can’t say until you see the return, the UFA signings, a goalie and the fall lineup. We usually finish 3rd with around 100 points and exit in 7 games of round 1. That’s the bar. I need to see it play out. I need to see how the new mentality and accountability affect the approach. That right there could be the biggest trade return.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Can’t say until you see the return, the UFA signings, a goalie and the fall lineup. We usually finish 3rd with around 100 points and exit in 7 games of round 1. That’s the bar. If need to see it play out. I need to see how the new mentality and accountability affect the approach. That right there could be the biggest trade return.
That's what I mean. Losing Marner leaves a huge hole in our lineup. Replacing him with unknown commodities by a GM with Trelivings track record doesn't give me any source of comfort.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Can’t say until you see the return, the UFA signings, a goalie and the fall lineup. We usually finish 3rd with around 100 points and exit in 7 games of round 1. That’s the bar. I need to see it play out. I need to see how the new mentality and accountability affect the approach. That right there could be the biggest trade return.
You most likely can't win a trade for a soft winger asking for $100m unless you can find a pigeon who thinks the world of Marner but it will start to get you out of cap hell and get this team moving forward. They have been spinning their wheels for the last 6 years, enough is enough, but I guess not for some.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
That's what I mean. Losing Marner leaves a huge hole in our lineup. Replacing him with unknown commodities by a GM with Trelivings track record doesn't give me any source of comfort.
Other players could get a chance they would never get. Look at Florida, more castaways than Gilligan’s island. Reinhart, Verhaeghe, Bennett all discarded. Plus we have roles for Knies, Cowen, Minten down the line. Wingers are the easiest to get.
Guentzel - 30 goals - 47 assists
Marchessault - 42 goals - 27 assists.

There are options above with the trade return. 31 other teams do it. Why are we paying Matthews/Nylander 24 million if 1 guy is the be all end all.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I had braced for this upcoming season being a season for a retool and not for cup contention regardless of whther marner agrees to a trade or not so in my mind at least I am free... unlesss ShanaCON and Treliving do something stupid to "go for it" next season; which is absolutely stupid IMO without a solid #1G, #1D and Marner+Tavares making combined 22M in caphit
Retool from the net out .look at the other teams in the playoffs
And how the he'll did verhague get away from dubas

I’m sure for every deuce bigalow tweet, there is an equal see you later tweet or some huge trade rumour tweet.
Tired of marner already .we need better defenseman and a decent goalie
At this point u could trade mathews if we get a goalie who isn't a headcase

Reactions: PromisedLand

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I dont believe we actually have to do the sign and trade. Someone can correct if I’m wrong.
Because he has 1 year remaining, the team that gets him can give him 8. Like Dubois in LA. Marner and his agent would just need to approve the trade and agree to work the extension.

Tre confirmed that his only focus was getting a coach. Now that he has Berube, he said his focus along with Berube and Shanahan (I’m sure) is going through the team top to bottom. That’s what we were told. I’m sure Tre was waiting for his coach to work together on trades and roster improvements.
Berube apparently misspoke. Instead of saying the core was the main reason he came, he probably really meant to break up the core.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Exciting to see what the new Coach can get out of these guys.
A new voice was so long overdue.
Yep. Keefe at times looked like he was asking, or even pleading players to play a certain way. I don't think Berube will be as lenient. He won't yell and scream but will make players fight for their minutes rather than icing the top 2 lines regardless if they're having a bad game.

Brad built the team so we could ice 4 lines and Keefe instead stacked 2 lines, had a bad 3rd line and figured the 4th didn't matter.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Berube apparently misspoke. Instead of saying the core was the main reason he came, he probably really meant to break up the core.
Well then I guess we will just do the same thing and expect different results. I know I was fully expecting Berube to say exactly who and what he didn’t like the second he got here.

Reactions: ToneDog

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Well then I guess we will just do the same thing and expect different results. I know I was fully expecting Berube to say exactly who and what he didn’t like the second he got here.
He said he liked the core so I would imagine 3 scenarios to his calculus.
1. He misspoke
2. He doesn't like some none core players
3. He doesn't like elements of the system

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
He said he liked the core so I would imagine 3 scenarios to his calculus.
1. He misspoke
2. He doesn't like some none core players
3. He doesn't like elements of the system
Well since Berube is the coach and has nothing to do with trades or signings, then you have Shanahan saying the time for patience is over, the patterns with the core are there and everything is on the table, someone is lying.

I’m sorry, misspoke.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Retool from the net out .look at the other teams in the playoffs
And how the he'll did verhague get away from dubas

Tired of marner already .we need better defenseman and a decent goalie
At this point u could trade mathews if we get a goalie who isn't a headcase
Lou is responsible for giving up on and giving away Verhaeghe.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Why is this guy still on the team.

Nobody wants him here. He can't win a damn thing. The fans don't even like him anymore.

It's only gonna get worse.

Every day Marmer remains on the team the outcry will get louder. He's become the figurehead of failure for this pathetic excuse of a contender. People ARE angry.

They're f***ING angry.

Marner is a big part of the reason why. His performance alone makes him a target. His condescending attitude towards accepting personal responsibility puts him directly in the crosshairs.

Bag him and tag him and get rid of him already.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Why is this guy still on the team.

Nobody wants him here. He can't win a damn thing. The fans don't even like him anymore.

It's only gonna get worse.

Every day Marmer remains on the team the outcry will get louder. He's become the figurehead of failure for this pathetic excuse of a contender. People ARE angry.

They're f***ING angry.

Marner is a big part of the reason why. His performance alone makes him a target. His condescending attitude towards accepting personal responsibility puts him directly in the crosshairs.

Bag him and tag him and get rid of him already.
Leafs are on the hook to pay his bonus on July 1st so we wait.

It's kind of comparable to Kadri leaving. You are going to be worse off for it, but you have a chance of spending the cap/assets on a player that doesn't dissapear in the playoffs.

Kadri = Suspended
Marner = Ghost
Kadri = playoff warrior. Dubas dumps him and brings in two playoff wimps. Funny Bourne saying we are paying Kerfoot $11m when referring to Marner during the playoffs.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Do you think losing Marner makes us better?

Unequivocally yes. Scrappy underdogs go further in the playoffs than us, more often.

You ever see a buddy cry about his ex girlfriend that you know was absolutely horrendous for him? That's the phase that we're in with Marner right now. Sure, big gaping emotional hole in bro's life where his girl used to be, but now that she's gone he might actually have a chance at finding one who makes him happy.

That we might get anything for Marner in a trade is pure gravy. This man is fired, he doesn't work here any more, you figure out the replacements afterwards.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Leafs are on the hook to pay his bonus on July 1st so we wait.

Kadri = playoff warrior. Dubas dumps him and brings in two playoff wimps. Funny Bourne saying we are paying Kerfoot $11m when referring to Marner during the playoffs.
Kadri was a warrior for us, but he kept getting suspended and wasn't there when we needed him. Unreliable, which is a real shame because he had the temperament (PISS AND VINEGAR) that we so desperately need. Much like Marner should be, Kadri was fired.

And I just want to defend Kerfoot a bit here. He was one of our best players during the Montreal series. 1g 5a, playing 17 minutes a night, while Marner had 0g 4a, playing 24 minutes a night. By no means is Kerfoot a particularly effective player, but Marner in the playoffs is an active drain on the team and would have been better as a healthy scratch in Game 7 against Montreal or Game 3 against Florida (as examples). Even at his worst Kerfoot was at least playable.

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
I think he's a limited function Swiss Army knife.

He's:
View attachment 874316

He's not:
View attachment 874317

He doesn't have a physical game.
He doesn't do faceoffs.
Also the Classic is a good one. If you're interested, you can contact me and you'll have 30% on the SAK. We also have great kitchen knives, travel gear, fragrances and watches! If Victorinox travel gear/watches are too expensive, try out Wenger!

:D ;)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
FACT:

Every team in NHL History that won the STANLEY CUP did NOT have Mitch Marner on the roster.
Based on many of the posts here, this should be stickied.
What happen to the snarky thread title, did someone come to their senses?
I think when people keep calling out mistakes, embarassment becomes a catalyst for change. The fact that this thread finally has a "snark free" title is an example of this effect, hopefully Marner agreeing to waive his NMC will be another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad