Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I am hating all these articles and insiders now saying….lets see what happens with marner and he may not go and they should run it back with berube.

I swear if this happens again with no trades to the core and especially marner then I will be livid.

I would be stunned if they actually did that. I think this is most likely posturing. Doesn't do the team any favours to be encouraging the idea that Marner is freely available, better to keep it murky so Seattle/Utah/Nashville/whoever feels they have to offer an appropriate package to get it done.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
i hope that marner reads every day the speculation about his ass being traded.

you know his egotistical self cannot handle not reading about himself. So I'm happy that all news outlets are talking about his pissy ass being traded.

hope it makes him feel good.

Reactions: saffronleaf

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I’m pretty sure they’re just going to bring the core back again and hope a new coach changes things. Then they’ll just let him and Tavares walk for nothing when it inevitably fails again.

Reactions: MTLfan53

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I’m pretty sure they’re just going to bring the core back again and hope a new coach changes things. Then they’ll just let him and Tavares walk for nothing when it inevitably fails again.

If so Treliving should be sent packing. You can't lose a player as talented as Marner for nothing.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Ask yourself honestly: would you waive if you were Marner or would you take things to free agency? In the end, he earned that option. If I'm getting grief from management and fans, I'm saying f it, let's see what the end of next season brings. Last season was the lost opportunity when they had partial control over Nylander and they sat on it. I love both players btw, I'm not commenting on anything except the business side.
But there's the additional stress of dealing with the constant criticism from fans and media, which will likely be even worse if he stays next season.

Maybe he has had enough and wants to go somewhere where he can just play hockey and stay out of the spotlight.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
If so Treliving should be sent packing. You can't lose a player as talented as Marner for nothing.

Yeah I agree with you but I feel like that’s what will happen. They’ll say they looked at all their options over the summer blah blah blah and that this was the best roster to put together.

I’ll be surprised if they actually trade him even though I 1000 percent think he should be.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

How do you trade a player with a NMC who would rather just become UFA?

Sitting him doesn't help the team.
You can't sit him and use his cap hit elsewhere.
Treliving holding his breath 'til he turns purple won't do it.

At most, they separate him from Matthews.

? - Matthews - ?
? - ? - Nylander
? - Tavares - marner
Cowan - Minten - Grebyonkin

:laugh:

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I don't think Treliving will let Marner walk for nothing. He knows that will be an asset management disaster. He will sign him to an extension if necessary in order to facilitate a trade.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
How do you trade a player with a NMC who would rather just become UFA?

At this point there's no reason to believe Marner is dead set on hitting UFA. With stars you usually work together to find the best situation for the player that also works for the team.

I don't see how you could hold that against Treliving.

Why not? Every star of Marners stature gets no trade protection, this isn't some unique situation. You have to work with him to find a solution that's palatable for all. If you can't it's a complete failure by management.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
At this point there's no reason to believe Marner is dead set on hitting UFA. With stars you usually work together to find the best situation for the player that also works for the team.
Star?
Screenshot_2024-05-22-13-50-02~3.png

Reactions: myleafs

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Why not? Every star of Marners stature gets no trade protection, this isn't some unique situation. You have to work with him to find a solution that's palatable for all. If you can't it's a complete failure by management.
He didn't give him the trade protection and it's out of his hands if the player decides to honor his contract.

I suppose you could blame him for not trading one of them while the window to move them was open.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
He didn't give him the trade protection and it's out of his hands if the player decides to honor his contract.

I suppose you could blame him for not trading one of them while the window to move them was open.

I would blame him for not being able to get Marner to a reasonable place where they could work together. If Marner plays out his contract and leaves for nothing he will be villainized forever. I really don't think that's what Marner wants. It's not in anyones best interest. Everyone wins if they work together to secure him a new contract in a desirable spot. A good GM gets that done.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I would blame him for not being able to get Marner to a reasonable place where they could work together. If Marner plays out his contract and leaves for nothing he will be villainized forever. I really don't think that's what Marner wants. It's not in anyones best interest. Everyone wins if they work together to secure him a new contract in a desirable spot. A good GM gets that done.
I imagine he wants to play out the season and sign an extension here. I don't think any reasonable person would hold it against a player that doesn't want to leave.

Reactions: ULF_55 and horner

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
There is some understandable excitement given:
-Marner rumored to like Nashville as a destination
-Nash cleared 6M+ of cap
-Nashville wants offense
-Wed like draft capital and or goaltending

If you squint you can see a deal
The thing with Nashville is they just purged themselves of Duchene and Ryjo. Trotz wasn't interested in their type on his team. I can absolutely see him having a similar opinion about Marner.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The thing with Nashville is they just purged themselves of Duchene and Ryjo. Trotz wasn't interested in their type on his team. I can absolutely see him having a similar opinion about Marner.
Nashville is also craving offense and star power.

Reactions: myleafs

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Tre was there when gaudreau walked.
He won’t let that happen with Marner.
There has to be a trade or extension.
But if you trade a Marner you will never get equal talent back ,but they have to do it.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Tre was there when gaudreau walked.
He won’t let that happen with Marner.
There has to be a trade or extension.
But if you trade a Marner you will never get equal talent back ,but they have to do it.
If letting him walk makes more sense than extending him (which is IMO almost certainly the case) then why would you extend him?

Keep all options on the table. If he refuses to waive, and sucks again in the playoffs, and then demands 12.5x8 on his next contract, you'd have to be insane to not let him walk at that point.

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
Marner doesn't want to walk into FA with a team that wants to trade him. That's putting a lot of pressure on him. The team could very well say we'll take Domi and Bert on the 1st line again with Nylander heading the 2nd line. PP1 we can't have 2 non shooters and without Marner's cap space we're probably running Rielly PP1 again.

Even with a good regular season, another bad playoffs and it's all for naught.

Btw, it's kind of sad how Marner signed his contract as a 90 points player and is a 90 points player going into his FA year.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Why would you do that when you know damn well you cant resign marner and now you've lost a perennial 90 point player for nothing?

That sounds INCREDIBLY f***ING STUPID.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

horner

May 22, 2007
Whatever happens we will lose.
Marner traded for pennies on the dollar
If we extend we can't build a team

This should have been done 2 yrs ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events