Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
You're right, this topic is serious. Why would a successful owner of a Facebook sports group lie?

I'm mostly being a dick, I have no clue how trustworthy he is and wouldn't be surprised if we at least explore an extension.
ya the guy has sources via the blue jays, no clue on leafs stuff , but it aligns with Biznasty

• Wow
Reactions: PromisedLand

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Yeah I played pro before, not pro hockey. So for the most part my perspective is player based, not always team based. Just because I’ve been in similar situations, so it’s out of habit. You’re not wrong about that.

Yes it matters to NHL teams. 100% But what does it matter to me personally when I’m on my couch watching the game?

Oh boo hoo, I’m gonna go cry in the corner cause I’m not in your little club LOL.
Fair enough. I apologize. However, I do think it's fair to point out obvious biases when I see them. I should try to do it a little more "delicately" with certain posters. I can see you do have a somewhat more neutral stance than quite a few of the Obvious Ones.

So ya, my apology is half-assed, but I hope you see my point.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I really hate defending Marner, but, the comments against him are just looney.

I have a clear vision of a shift on game 7, where he gained the zone and was circling in the zone looking for a F to pass to (Domi or Bert at that point) and both were engaging in stupidity, and neither looking to go to open ice, or a passing position. ...then Marner got clobbered and lost the puck.
Now, it looked bad on Marner, but, whose fault was is really??

Marner is a playmaker/passer, not a goal scorer, so, when he has nobody open to pass to, he's kinda screwed.

He really needs to work on his shot more(though its better than it was before), and use it more, as he doesnt even come close to using it enough to become a shooting threat.

then there is the idiot Keefe who puts Marner and Domi together, a 85% pass first guy (Marner) and a 95% pass first guy (Domi) with Bert who just SUCKED and never got open and couldnt receive a pass even if he was open!!!

I really hope we do not resign Bertuzzi!!

here are some "nuggets: from Marner in clinching or momentum swinging games

Game 7 against habs - offensive zone turnover by marner when game was tied 0-0 (I can list many STUPID plays by marner in the habs series if you want)

Game 6 against bolts in OT (first time around) - stupid pass AND then STUPID DEFENSE (again could list many STUPID plays by marner if you want including Game 7)

Game 2 against Florida Leafs had a 2-0 lead and then Marner being a complete buffoon (at 1:50 mark)

Marner was a f***ing GHOST in that series against Florida

Game 7 against Bruins this year (I could add others from the series where he was complete ASS)

And ofcourse Game 7 OT Marner being a complete ASS

I could list many btw.... People often forget that little things matter in the game and Marner more often than not is a COMPLETE JOKE! 11 AAV is too much for a player like that who continues to make glaring mistakes and important times; and people are wanting that Leafs re-up this buffoon of a player for 12.5+ AAV on an 8 year term? HELL if that is not enough they effing want 4 forwards on the team with 11AAV+

COME ON MAN!

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Fair enough. I apologize. However, I do think it's fair to point out obvious biases when I see them. I should try to do it a little more "delicately" with certain posters. I can see you do have a somewhat more neutral stance than quite a few of the Obvious Ones.

So ya, my apology is half-assed, but I hope you see my point.

I get it! It’s not personal, I understand it’s years of frustration. And wanting change. Again I’m not saying don’t trade Marner, i just think we can appreciate what he’s done before moving off him.

I do agree sometimes I can also be an ass for the sake of storing things up so I also apologize if my posts have been rude at times

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I’m on board with trading Marner we better spend the money properly otherwise we will end up in a worse situation.

That is the key, they have to reallocate that money to the right players. They have to. Not only that but we have to reset the internal cap and ensure our ELC guys know, getting paid before producing days are over.

Whats worst than embarrassing round 1 exits all the time? no making playoffs? heck if that happens may be we can start the "rebuild" sooner ;)

Its about winning the Cup. If Leafs can't get it done in the next 4 years that Matthews is under contract then I don't think leafs can win with Matthews+Nylander and co. Leafs would then need a rebuild anyway....

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Exactly, I’m indifferent, if we trade Marner and get a good return I’m cool with that. If we keep him, he’s a good player and I’m cool with that. Talent doesn’t grow on trees. Whatever we decide it better be the right call so we can win.

I’ve muted IPS. Defending a player doesn’t mean you’re a fan boy. You can see both sides of the argument without wanting to diminish/devalue who the player is.
NP, Hfboards has made it fully possible to have your own safe space. Ignore away.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I get it! It’s not personal, I understand it’s years of frustration. And wanting change. Again I’m not saying don’t trade Marner, i just think we can appreciate what he’s done before moving off him.

I do agree sometimes I can also be an ass for the sake of storing things up so I also apologize if my posts have been rude at times
All good Fellow Leaf Fan.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
here are some "nuggets: from Marner in clinching or momentum swinging games

Game 7 against habs - offensive zone turnover by marner when game was tied 0-0 (I can list many STUPID plays by marner in the habs series if you want)

Game 6 against bolts in OT (first time around) - stupid pass AND then STUPID DEFENSE (again could list many STUPID plays by marner if you want including Game 7)

Game 2 against Florida Leafs had a 2-0 lead and then Marner being a complete buffoon (at 1:50 mark)

Marner was a f***ing GHOST in that series against Florida

Game 7 against Bruins this year (I could add others from the series where he was complete ASS)

And ofcourse Game 7 OT Marner being a complete ASS

I could list many btw.... People often forget that little things matter in the game and Marner more often than not is a COMPLETE JOKE! 11 AAV is too much for a player like that who continues to make glaring mistakes and important times; and people are wanting that Leafs re-up this buffoon of a player for 12.5+ AAV on an 8 year term? HELL if that is not enough they effing want 4 forwards on the team with 11AAV+

COME ON MAN!

Promisedland you won the thread my man.

Edit: that 2nd video is just terrible, people can humbly stfu about him being the best 2-way winger in the league when he does shit like that. Stop acting like this guy is prime Hossa or Zetterberg playing defense.

Last edited:

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I don't think they can make a reasonable offer. His pp82 in the last 5 years is like 100 with 30ish goals. Yes he was no hell in the playoffs but there really isn't an argument for paying Willie more based on 55 good games in his contract year. But they did, and even though external comps matter, they are both right wingers and Mitch has 100 more points in fewer games. I don't think he accepts Willie's deal so what do they offer him? I think they obviously listen to him but his resigning sailed with the Nylander deal IMO. For all we know its academic because Ferris may be pushing for some kind of Matthews type windfall so why even open the door?

In terms overpayment, almost any club can do it for 1 guy, just not 3 (again). He can get more than the Leafs can afford to offer him, and maybe even in a market with a better tax situation. The money should work itself out but there will be no massive return of assets. With two years left on a little lower AAV and without the NM they could expect a lot more but that was never going to happen. Too bad Kyle has no assets to spare.
I agree with most of this. They don't have to make a reasonable offer they just have to make an offer and then say we made an offer and he didn't accept it. The fanbase can fill in the blanks and there are plenty of people that want to believe that MM was greedy and has unreasonable expectations.

I do agree that we shouldn't expect a massive return. However a prospect, plus a middle pair dman (say Wright and Oleksiak) for Marner and Lilly would also yield $7.5M in cap space. I would be happy with MM + TL for Wright, Oleksiak and say Brady Skjei.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Nobody is saying that ...ok maybe a few. Its a start to fixing this team, not the end of fixing it and most in here understand that whether you want to acknowledge that or not. And you know there is a chance it might not help at all but Im good with trying something somewhat drastic rather than the same old same old. Its a stale product. Something has to give.
There's a range to what 'fixing' the team means, but moving Marner would give us an opportunity to close all major gaps that we have, and join the other five eastern conference teams that had no major gaps* - four of which made it to the second round.

*perhaps the center position is a major gap for Boston, but thats the team that edged us out and then got beaten up.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I’m on board with trading Marner we better spend the money properly otherwise we will end up in a worse situation.

That is the key, they have to reallocate that money to the right players. They have to. Not only that but we have to reset the internal cap and ensure our ELC guys know, getting paid before producing days are over.
This is key. Time to stop deluding ourselves that the team is close to a cup.

Realistically we are a few years away AT BEST from having the pieces in place to compete with the teams that made the conference finals this year.

Hopefully management acts accordingly, spends some effort retooling properly. Not going to happen overnight

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I just don't know why MM wants to come back. He must know by now that he is mentally weak, like very weak. If he signs an extension and come back, i expect him to struggle from the start. As he has never shown as a Leafs the 'I got this', 'I am going to make the other team my b*t*h.' attitude, actually, the only one who showed that attitude is Knies.
Which is why it is difficult for our top guys to overcome adversity when the going gets tough.

We need more alphas like Knies and not betas like the core 5.

Hopefully, they are signing MM according to the market and not what they think he is worth.
If the market is showing MM's trade value is bad, thats just show other teams don't value him as much too.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I just don't know why MM wants to come back. He must know by now that he is mentally weak, like very weak. If he signs an extension and come back, i expect him to struggle from the start. As he has never shown as a Leafs the 'I got this', 'I am going to make the other team my b*t*h.' attitude, actually, the only one who showed that attitude is Knies.
Which is why it is difficult for our top guys to overcome adversity when the going gets tough.

We need more alphas like Knies and not betas like the core 5.

Hopefully, they are signing MM according to the market and not what they think he is worth.
If the market is showing MM's trade value is bad, thats just show other teams don't value him as much too.
I agree about the Alphas needed and I think Treliving gets that. Hopefully they are not extending Marner. Trade him or let him walk and use the $12M he wants to build a better team.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Obvioulsy both Marner and the Leafs are leaking stuff to the media, hence the conflicting reports. I really don't think we will now what's going on until July 1st.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I agree about the Alphas needed and I think Treliving gets that. Hopefully they are not extending Marner. Trade him or let him walk and use the $12M he wants to build a better team.
I would trade MM for futures and use that cap and sign Marchesaault and Stephenson. One top alpha and another who just plays like an Alpha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad