Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
Marner not holding out for three months start of the season
Still two weeks to go before he can accept offers
Still two weeks to sign with leafs

But people are already calling him the worst leaf
Ever lol

Then posters get the four firsts and sign Panarin for 9
And save cap. No one in their right mind should think that
Panarin would sign for that cap hit. Stupid people

Posters just trade marner for Jones or insert whatever young number one dman is on any other team. With no thought of
How hard it is to get a true young number one and now you are going to trade him to make your team worse. Stupid people

Some should relax and let this play out. No one on here has any control

That’s between Dubas and marner. Nothing has come from either side as gospel. All the crap has come from the so called insiders who start every sentence with I BELIEVE but no one is smart enough to realize that it’s all smoke they blow out of their ass to get
Hits that can make them seem credible,

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It's not even July yet. It's too soon to reach this conclusion. Not a single high level RFA signed yet.

I either they're all asking for 11x8 or the process actually takes bit more time.

It's gotta be resolved soon. Nothing can be done to actually improve this team until this is resolved. They can not wait too much longer.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Ship Marner, Brown and Liljegren to Calgary For Tkachuk and Brodie... You can sign Tkachuk for probably 3 million less than Marner and he adds some much needed grit to your top line. Brodie gives you the perfect, right handed compliment to Reilly, at a decent price.

Ship Kapanen and a pick to Carolina for Brett Pesce, another right handed defenseman, to round out your top 4 of Reilly / Brodie and Muzzin / Pesce.

Ship Zaitsev for a pick or a prospect (or both)

Ship Marleau out at all costs, even if you have to retain 3.0 million of his 6.25 million.

If you move Kadri to Tavares' wing and Nylander to Matthews'... You wind up with a core of...

Tkachuk / Matthews / Nylander
Kadri / Tavares / Johnsson
Hyman / /Moore

Reilly / Brodie
Muzzin / Pesce
Dermott /Rosen
Kivihalme

Andersen

You then have the money to round out your team with cheap vets and Marlies… That team is genuinely better, IMO, then what Toronto iced last year… The top 6 is every bit as potent, with some extra jam, while the bottom 6 falls off some. The defense core is complete, with 3 left handed and 3 right handed defensemen, and all 4 of the 4 belong there. You extend Brodie and Muzzin in the off season with the money coming off the books from Marleau / Kessel's deals and you use the rise in the cap to upgrade the bottom 6.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
It's gotta be resolved soon. Nothing can be done to actually improve this team until this is resolved. They can not wait too much longer.

It needs to be resolved soon. Hopefully by July 1st.

I think at July 1st Dubas should sign Kappy and Andreas and start GMing as usual.

We don't trade him at July 1st but he is no longer the #1 priority. And the cap allowance shrinks as a result.

The final deadline is with the start of the season because the cap hit increases every day after that.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It's not even July yet. It's too soon to reach this conclusion. Not a single high level RFA signed yet.

I either they're all asking for 11x8 or the process actually takes bit more time.

lol so true man.

Leafs fans are so broken it's hilarious.

Raymondo316

Nov 11, 2007
Maidstone England
Because the player friendly deal is not that bad - 11 x 5 is not bad. This will give leafs a solid 5 year window to contend. Who cares what happens 5+ years from now, that's a lonnng time away and I don't want to stress out thinking about it.
How the heck can we ice a contender when half of the cap would be spent on 4 players??

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Why the Leafs should match (just about) any offer sheet for...
Sacrificing stars to pay for depth seems like a foolish way to do business.

It also seems like a uniquely hockey thing to do. The system, the one that Marner, and Leon Draisaitl and Nylander and Matthews and all these other current star RFAs seem to be challenging, has been set up so that young players, even the brightest ones, have to wait to get paid. But why? Kucherov put up 128(!) points last season and did so with the seventh-highest cap hit on his own team.

One hundred and ninety-two players league-wide were carrying a bigger cap hit than Kucherov, who was wrapping up a three-year, heist of a deal that carried a $4.76 million cap hit.

That’s exactly what those like Marner are fighting against.

The kind of offer sheet that would make the Leafs squirm and maybe consider passing is one that likely makes Marner the highest-paid winger in the league, an honour that currently belongs to Patrick Kane at $10.5 million. So, you may argue, Marner isn’t better than Kane, isn’t the league’s best winger, why should he get paid like it? Well, for one, if he’s not the absolute best winger — that’s Kucherov — then he’s definitely in the top-10. And that’s today. Kucherov took off at 23 — two years older than Marner was last year — when he had 85 points. Then, came 100 at 24, and finally, 128 ridiculous points as a 25-year-old last season.

What’s Marner look like in a year or two? Or three or four? Is an Art Ross Trophy out of the question? Even an MVP if the stars align right? Does Marner have Conn Smythe Trophy potential if the Leafs ever go on a deep playoff run and finally break the Cup drought?

As we just saw on the NBA side, you win with stars.
Now, can the Leafs make due next season with Marner eating up $11-12 million on the cap? No, not without some other transactions, like moving out Nikita Zaitsev and Patrick Marleau, and maybe even Connor Brown, too. Or maybe, if some of that’s not doable, the answer is selling Nazem Kadri and/or dealing one of the two other pending UFAs, Kasperi Kapanen or Andreas Johnsson for help on defence.

Point is it’s not impossible, if not ideal perhaps, to make room. And after the 2019-20 season the Leafs’ cap concerns will ease when (if he’s not moved) Marleau comes off the books.

The answer shouldn’t be parting with the most alluring piece on the roster outside of Matthews. Signing Tavares for $11 million last summer shouldn’t mean that one year later, the Leafs have to part with Marner. The point was to keep them all together — all the stars. That shouldn’t change, even now when the tide is coming in higher than Dubas and the Leafs may have anticipated.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
$10.5M is anything but a loss for Marner.

He'd be the highest paid winger, no?

Yeah but there is no indication he would sign 10.5... many rumours indicate he wants 11M+ and he isn’t getting that so let him go to the market.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
As we just saw on the NBA side, you win with stars.

Makes no sense, why is this article comparing the NBA to the NHL?

If anything we just saw in the NHL you don’t need to win with stars and if you do the Leafs already have 2 in Matthews and JT.

Shayne Corsi

Oct 17, 2017
I’m sorry, there was a 100% likelihood of success in what?

What I understood your meaning there was that it was guaranteed that sitting Nylander for a year would result in him accepting a contract with a lower AAV.

This confuses me because I cannot see how you arrive at that conclusion.

This is not at all what I'm saying, and your confusion would certainly be warranted if it were. But I also don't know how to explain what I'm actually saying any more clearly than I have above, so perhaps we should just leave off here.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Are you joking?

Paul Marner was b*tching about the lack of attention and consideration Mitch was getting for the Leafs captaincy last year.

To the MEDIA.

The MEDIA called HIM and asked him what he thought of his hockey playing son, and all he said was something that plenty of people actually agree with.

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
Ship Marner, Brown and Liljegren to Calgary For Tkachuk and Brodie... You can sign Tkachuk for probably 3 million less than Marner and he adds some much needed grit to your top line. Brodie gives you the perfect, right handed compliment to Reilly, at a decent price.

Ship Kapanen and a pick to Carolina for Brett Pesce, another right handed defenseman, to round out your top 4 of Reilly / Brodie and Muzzin / Pesce.

Ship Zaitsev for a pick or a prospect (or both)

Ship Marleau out at all costs, even if you have to retain 3.0 million of his 6.25 million.

If you move Kadri to Tavares' wing and Nylander to Matthews'... You wind up with a core of...

Tkachuk / Matthews / Nylander
Kadri / Tavares / Johnsson
Hyman / /Moore

Reilly / Brodie
Muzzin / Pesce
Dermott /Rosen
Kivihalme

Andersen

You then have the money to round out your team with cheap vets and Marlies… That team is genuinely better, IMO, then what Toronto iced last year… The top 6 is every bit as potent, with some extra jam, while the bottom 6 falls off some. The defense core is complete, with 3 left handed and 3 right handed defensemen, and all 4 of the 4 belong there. You extend Brodie and Muzzin in the off season with the money coming off the books from Marleau / Kessel's deals and you use the rise in the cap to upgrade the bottom 6.

You forgot the part where they acquired a magic wand.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
1 +1 = 2 .. Its like piecing a puzzle together based on all the information going around.

Bobby Mac says Marner believes he is worth every bit as much as Matthews & We know Matthews just got $11.634 mil X 5 years.

Dreger says " Like the Matthews contract, term is a huge sticking point for Marner. Not interested in max term". & We know max term = 8 years

Elliotte Friedman said the Leafs would only go to a high number, LIKE $11M, on a long-term deal.

Every time a new "Insider" posts an update we have more of the puzzle to work with..

Dubas doesn't need to to toss out the amount he knows what Marner's asking price is, and so the 2 sides discuss term of which Marner is claiming he is not interested in "max term" and the info is suggesting Leafs are pursuing a longer deal. But until you come to an agreement on # of years in length it doesn't make sense talking dollars because that is entirely dependent on the term and how many UFA years are included.

Bob McKenzie did a good job recently covering this ..

I hear you but there is a level of pragmatism after that massive contract Matthews got. His contract is better than McDavid's. Cant see Marner looking for 11.6 for 5 years. No one will pay that unless they are drug abusers. My guess us that there are negotiations going on with other teams about other players. The fact that the cap numbers likely wont be solidified until next week is also a factor because it gives other teams leverage over the return of any potential trade. I am not panicking until after the first week in july.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
How do you know this?

Couldn't they offer-sheet him to just under the 4 1st round pick compensation limit?

And the Leafs would match if it was tha case (and GMs don't use offersheets to screw other teams)

The safe be ist he doesnt get an offersheet because the bistory of the NHL's cap era suggests they're a non issue. No matter what Marners agent may be telling TSN to the contrary

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
He is our 3rd best player. Tavares and Matty are much better players. He may look flashier at times.
Assuming i agreed with that. Do you feel that in 3 years that will still be the case? If his trajectory continues, he could be putting up numbers in the top 3 in the league. Guaranteed that Tavares at the least is taking a back seat to Marner sometime in their career. The question is when. With already more primary points, it may have already happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad