Prospect Info: Mitch Marner (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MMMFAN

Nov 5, 2015
Marner seems ok with the possibility that he might have to play in the OHL again next year. The Leafs explained the process to Marner and said he gets it and that he trusts their decision. Hopefully he does make the Leafs next year and excels, but if it doesn't happen next year it won't be a disaster. He's better this year than last year and he'll be better next year than this year. He'll get tested more in the WJC this Xmas so let's see how that goes before anointing him NHL ready. Don't get me wrong I'm a Marner fan, but let's be realistic and patient.

champs*

There's no chance Marner goes back to London next year. What's the purpose? So he can score 200 points instead of 160 points? It's obvious that he's far too good for junior hockey.

He would undoubtedly benefit from the leafs trainers in adding bulk to his frame and learning pro systems from Babcock.

The leafs can use him in a sheltered role on special teams.

i would rather see him at London playing 35 minutes a game at centre. he can easily put on 10 ish pounds of muscle mass during the off season, pretty easy thing to do.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Marner seems ok with the possibility that he might have to play in the OHL again next year. The Leafs explained the process to Marner and said he gets it and that he trusts their decision. Hopefully he does make the Leafs next year and excels, but if it doesn't happen next year it won't be a disaster. He's better this year than last year and he'll be better next year than this year. He'll get tested more in the WJC this Xmas so let's see how that goes before anointing him NHL ready. Don't get me wrong I'm a Marner fan, but let's be realistic and patient.

Except for the fact that playing in the ohl next year won't help him grow as a player. It's just far too easy for him at the junior level. Quite frankly it would be a joke.

He needs to be challenged and learn to play against men but sheltered in a way so he doesn't have guys like Chara destroying him. That's why using him on special teams or 3 on 3 is ideal because there's more space.

I love how people who just stat watch think he's some kind of Kyle Wellwood.

It's shocking how some younger leaf fans in particular can't recognize superior talent. That probably stems from the leafs awful drafting and prospect management in the past.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

That possibility wouldn't be discussed yet.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
London would have their own who would help him follow what the Leafs have laid out for him.

He's done school so he has a lot of idle time to be working on this.

Yep, seems to have a great work ethic so if he can really buckle down and put in the work, we should have a great player.

I know he's a kid, and easy for me to say because I don't actually have to do it, but hope he gives up those skittles etc before games.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

Realistically, top OHL scorers in back-to-back seasons do not return for a third year.

That said, if Marner returned to junior next year (I don't think he will), he would likely surpass some OHL scoring records! :naughty:

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Hey, I think your videos are great. It's awesome that you take the time to make them, you clearly put a lot of work into it. I really appreciate it and I know that others do as well. All the best :handclap:

Thanks, much appreciated.., Kieran..

Hahaha, I might suggest the early yo mid 70s: Salming, Turnbull, Sittler, Lanny, etc, but then I'm quibbling. Again thx for the efforts.

Yes.. You are right.. That's about the era I was referring to.. :handclap:

I love your video's.....thanks for the time and effort you put into them.

Thanks, Dice..

Keep up the great work. :yo:

Thanks, Knight..

Thanks Seer, I always appreciated your GDT as well on the TML message boards.

So excited for when either Marner or Nylander join the Leafs. More excited for the next Leafs season than the next Jays season honest!

Hey, Cobra..! Didn't know you were in here.. Thanks..! How are you..? Message me..

I must have watched this video at least 10 times after the draft. :handclap:

People get too picky about how the video is presented. It's the player in the video that's most important. As long as you're showing Mitch Marner or the other leaf prospects in your videos, that's all that matters. You could be playing the Barney theme in the background for all I care, as long as it shows Marner dangling around the competition, I'll be watching it.

Nice words.. Thanks a bunch, Atomos....! :)

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Yeah Seer, you definitely are appreciated on this forum..... and for good reason. Keep doing what you do, 'cause you do it well. :handclap::yo:

champs*

so what happens if the leafs keep marner just because he is to good for junior. Then he struggles with the leafs and babcock starts with the healthy scratches... now what?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
so what happens if the leafs keep marner just because he is to good for junior. Then he struggles with the leafs and babcock starts with the healthy scratches... now what?

He's too good to struggle but they could send him back to Junior if he was a constant healthy scratch.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Except for the fact that playing in the ohl next year won't help him grow as a player. It's just far too easy for him at the junior level. Quite frankly it would be a joke.

He needs to be challenged and learn to play against men but sheltered in a way so he doesn't have guys like Chara destroying him. That's why using him on special teams or 3 on 3 is ideal because there's more space.

It's shocking how some younger leaf fans in particular can't recognize superior talent. That probably stems from the leafs awful drafting and prospect management in the past.

Exactly this. Marner is toying with the OHL right now. You don't get better by playing against inferior competition. Marner won't be in junior unless something drastic happens.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Scratches don't really matter other then you're hurting the player. the 9-10 threshold would matter though, if you asked Babcock after the 9 game mark how he felt about Marner and how he plans to deploy him going forward...and you don't like what you hear. You likely send him back to the OHL. Rare for a 4th overall pick to go back to Jr. that long, especially considering what he is doing in the OHL in his draft and draft +1 year (toying with teams basically)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

There is no hard deadline when a player can be returned to junior when still eligible.

Edmonton played Leon Draisaitl for 37 games in the NHL last year sparingly, then sent him to the WJC then back to WHL to help Kelowna all the way to the Memorial Cup tournament and was named WHL MVP in the process.

Leafs could very well do the same thing with Marner by keeping him with the team until the WJC in December and then having him finish the year in the OHL with London.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

Agreed.

Sheltered minutes against certain opponents with a major focus on off ice habits...eating right and training as a pro.

After 2.5 months of that if you think he needs a big dose of confidence and ice time let him play in the WJHC.

2nd half more like the 1st with increased minutes over the last 1/3 or so of the year.

Goal of 35-50 NHL games....plus a WJHC...and AHL conditioning sting if either are needed. I think that's a fair expectation and accomplishes a lot more then a 3 ppg OHL season.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
There is no hard deadline when a player can be returned to junior when still eligible.

Edmonton played Leon Draisaitl for 37 games in the NHL last year sparingly, then sent him to the WJC then back to WHL to help Kelowna all the way to the Memorial Cup tournament and was named WHL MVP in the process.

Leafs could very well do the same thing with Marner by keeping him with the team until the WJC in December and then having him finish the year in the OHL with London.

I think there is an early February deadline in the CHL where if you're not back by that point you can't play for the team in the playoffs. I could be wrong on that or it may have changed but I recall that in the past.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Scratches don't really matter other then you're hurting the player. the 9-10 threshold would matter though, if you asked Babcock after the 9 game mark how he felt about Marner and how he plans to deploy him going forward...and you don't like what you hear. You likely send him back to the OHL. Rare for a 4th overall pick to go back to Jr. that long, especially considering what he is doing in the OHL in his draft and draft +1 year (toying with teams basically)

Players don't just develop by playing.

Just being with an NHL team, practicing under Babcock, and training with pros every day will do more for Marner then playing in the OHL even if he's not dressing for every NHL game.

Something drastic would have to happen for him to be in the OHL at all based on his play this year.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
No way management can honestly think sending Marner back again would possibly be good for his development. I would much rather him struggle against men in the NHL than continue to embarrass kids, just doesn't do him any good. Even if he comes into camp @170 (very realistic) he will be fine.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think there is an early February deadline in the CHL where if you're not back by that point you can't play for the team in the playoffs. I could be wrong on that or it may have changed but I recall that in the past.

I'm not aware of this specifically but it makes logical sense from a integrity POV of the CHL where it prevents NHL teams once they're out of the playoffs at end of year from suddenly sending their < 20 players back to junior.

If you have kept a junior eligible player to February and 3/4 of a season is over I guess you stay the course of your decision at that point anyways.

There are 2 real thresholds and that is 9 NHL games for ELC contract year expiring rules, and IIRC 40 NHL games for arbitration & UFA status rights, in that if you keep a player beyond that point it counts as a full season of NHL service.

MMMFAN

Nov 5, 2015
Marner's skill is undeniable and the sky is the limit for him in the NHL. The difference this year is that he is noticeably stronger and more importantly a more powerful skater. The Leafs though are taking a patient approach with these prospects. Will Marner at the next Leaf camp be better than Nylander was this year? I know Nylander had the option of going to the AHL that Marner doesn't, but the Leafs just don't have another option. Marner will have to dominate at the Leaf camp and take one of the top 6 positions on the team, otherwise it's back to Dale Hunter for more grooming.

champs*

Marner's skill is undeniable and the sky is the limit for him in the NHL. The difference this year is that he is noticeably stronger and more importantly a more powerful skater. The Leafs though are taking a patient approach with these prospects. Will Marner at the next Leaf camp be better than Nylander was this year? I know Nylander had the option of going to the AHL that Marner doesn't, but the Leafs just don't have another option. Marner will have to dominate at the Leaf camp and take one of the top 6 positions on the team, otherwise it's back to Dale Hunter for more grooming.

i agree with the bolded above....

mikebel111*

Why are you so deadset on sending him back to Junior?

If Marner earns a spot he will be on team. Simple as that. You dont sent someone this good down just because you want him playing centre in Junior. That is not a valid reason for sending him back down.

I believe he will earn a spot and stay with team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad