Mistakes the Jets Still Regret

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
There was lots and lots of mistakes made by the Jets 1.0. You wouldn't think it by some people's opinions, but the Jets 2.0 are far and away better run than the team we had the 1st time around.

Recency bias. Jets 1.0 made some terrible mistakes and hires. But still, from 55 points first season to 96 in the 6th. That team had both terrible lows and fun highs that the new team hasn't matched, in my opinion.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
There was lots and lots of mistakes made by the Jets 1.0. You wouldn't think it by some people's opinions, but the Jets 2.0 are far and away better run than the team we had the 1st time around.

I would have to agree. As much as I liked Jets 1.0 (both WHA & NHL versions), the Jets 2.0 are much better run from top to bottom. There's no comparison really. However, I would assume the first edition did try their best at the time and I give them kudos for what they were able to do given the circumstances.

:jets

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
There was lots and lots of mistakes made by the Jets 1.0. You wouldn't think it by some people's opinions, but the Jets 2.0 are far and away better run than the team we had the 1st time around. Mike Smith's selecting of Bautin 17th OA in 1992 was one of the most absurd selections in the history of the entry draft. Imagine Chevy selecting a 25 y/o LHD from the KHL with 3 points last season that no one ever heard of. That was the Bautin pick.

I'm sure that's true, but probably every team in the league is run better than it was 20 or 30 years ago. Probably most (note: most) longstanding companies in any industry are as well. The difference then becomes who has improved the most in the most important areas.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Recency bias. Jets 1.0 made some terrible mistakes and hires. But still, from 55 points first season to 96 in the 6th. That team had both terrible lows and fun highs that the new team hasn't matched, in my opinion.

The Jets finished with 51 points in their first NHL season (20-49-11)

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The Bautin pick was horrible, but Smith did select a few gems from Russia. Zhamnov was a steal. Davydov started off on fire, but he just did not ahve a passion for the game. Ulanov was an ok pick. Khabiboulin was an absolute steal. Interestingly enough, Smith was desperate to draft Pavel Bure, but the NHL informed him, the Oilers, and another team that he was ineligible. Vancouver found a loophole and drafted him anyway, which caused a number of teams to rush the podium in the 89' Draft.

I could be wrong about this, but I did hear that it was largely assumed now that Vancouver forged this. So loophole in question was something about Bure needing to have played a certain number of games with the top level team to be eligible that year, rather than the next year where he was widely regarded as the favourite to be the top pick. Bure didn't have the games. But Vancouver forged some game sheets with his name on it to claim that he did. Since getting info out of the USSR was near impossible the NHL couldn't prove at the time that they were forgeries and allowed the pick. Canucks waited until the 6th round since they didn't know if it would end up being allowed.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
How can we forget one of the most egregious mistakes in Jets 2.0 history, trading Eric Tangradi for Peter Budaj and Patrick Holland?

The fallout here was so great that one poster even "quit" the board. :laugh:

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
In terms of this current iteration of the franchise:

• Not having a pick in the first two rounds of the 2007 draft (they traded for Keith Tkachuk?)
  • Using combine results to draft Bogosian > Pietrangelo, Myers, Karlsson, and Gardiner in the 2008 draft
  • Drafting Kane (2009) and Burmistrov (2010) and immediately inserting them into the lineup, hurting their development (mostly behaviourally)
  • 2014 2nd round pick for Devin Setoguchi
  • Signing Frolik to a 1-year deal that would lead to a UFA expiry and having to keep him because of a playoff run instead of trading for assets
  • Signing Stafford to a 2x4.3m deal instead of allocating that money towards Frolik
  • Signing Stuart to a 4x$2.6m mNTC deal on the 2013-14 trade deadline
  • NOT signing Stempniak to an 1x$850k contract
  • SIGNING Strait to a 1x$600k contract
  • Trading up for Logan Stanley
  • Not addressing a crippling PP% and SH% for years
  • Willingly letting Pavelec play as many games as he did
  • Other free agent signings like: Matt Fraser, Andrew MacWilliam, T.J. Galiardi, Anthony Peluso, Eric Tangradi
  • Shipping Pascal Vincent down to the Moose and forcing him to implement the systems of Paul Maurice and Co. anyway
  • Curiously not using ECHL affiliate as another farm and instead signing other ECHL team's players on ATO/PTOs for the Moose when there is injuries
  • Cornering themselves come expansion draft time likely to lose Perreault or Lowry (or wildcards Dano or Enstrom/Myers)
  • IMO, letting Trouba's holdout become a story instead of dealing with it sooner, making Winnipeg seem like even more of an unattractive destination

I'm of the belief I'll have a lot more come Expansion Draft + Entry Draft time as well.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
In terms of this current iteration of the franchise:

• Not having a pick in the first two rounds of the 2007 draft (they traded for Keith Tkachuk?)
  • Using combine results to draft Bogosian > Pietrangelo, Myers, Karlsson, and Gardiner in the 2008 draft
  • Drafting Kane (2009) and Burmistrov (2010) and immediately inserting them into the lineup, hurting their development (mostly behaviourally)
  • 2014 2nd round pick for Devin Setoguchi
  • Signing Frolik to a 1-year deal that would lead to a UFA expiry and having to keep him because of a playoff run instead of trading for assets
  • Signing Stafford to a 2x4.3m deal instead of allocating that money towards Frolik
  • Signing Stuart to a 4x$2.6m mNTC deal on the 2013-14 trade deadline
  • NOT signing Stempniak to an 1x$850k contract
  • SIGNING Strait to a 1x$600k contract
  • Trading up for Logan Stanley
  • Not addressing a crippling PP% and SH% for years
  • Willingly letting Pavelec play as many games as he did
  • Other free agent signings like: Matt Fraser, Andrew MacWilliam, T.J. Galiardi, Anthony Peluso, Eric Tangradi
  • Shipping Pascal Vincent down to the Moose and forcing him to implement the systems of Paul Maurice and Co. anyway
  • Curiously not using ECHL affiliate as another farm and instead signing other ECHL team's players on ATO/PTOs for the Moose when there is injuries
  • Cornering themselves come expansion draft time likely to lose Perreault or Lowry (or wildcards Dano or Enstrom/Myers)
  • IMO, letting Trouba's holdout become a story instead of dealing with it sooner, making Winnipeg seem like even more of an unattractive destination

I'm of the belief I'll have a lot more come Expansion Draft + Entry Draft time as well.

Would hope so. Some doozies, but a lot of weak sauce in the list above.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Also like to add:

-holding on to Evander Kane as long as we did, even though there were serious signs of off-ice issues by January 2012.
-letting go of Dusty Imoo, who has much success coaching goalies in the AHL
-concentrating of signing Buff instead of Trouba
-not addressing the special teams deficiencies
-not trying to void the Pavelec contract, after he failed to inform the club of his DUI arrest in the Czech Republic when signing the contract.
-not buying out Pavelec after 2014
-bringing Burmistrov back into the fold after two mediocre years in the KHL, and hoping he would be a good replacement for Frolik
-not giving Petan the ice time to develop him (or to see what he is capable of), while awarding players with less talent more ice time
-Stuart contract
-signing Tanev, even though we have an abundance of forwards
=signing Shawn Matthias

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Also like to add:

-holding on to Evander Kane as long as we did, even though there were serious signs of off-ice issues by January 2012.
-not trying to void the Pavelec contract, after he failed to inform the club of his DUI arrest in the Czech Republic when signing the contract.
-bringing Burmistrov back into the fold after two mediocre years in the KHL, and hoping he would be a good replacement for Frolik
-not giving Petan the ice time to develop him (or to see what he is capable of), while awarding players with less talent more ice time
-Stuart contract
=signing Shawn Matthias

What's wrong with that signing? You do know he fulfills an XD requirement, right?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
And scores pretty well when he's healthy. Nothing wrong with that FA signing, IMO.

I would rather he had been on the 4th line. Not criticizing his play but I think we had better options. But that is on Maurice, not on the signing. Pretty good depth player, I think.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
-Stuart contract
=signing Shawn Matthias

• I have nothing against the Buff signing. I believe he rebounds next year, and the duration of the contract is right on the money.
  • Burmi was never going to be a Frolik replacement, and if he was mentioned as such by Jets staff/mgmt it was just to placate the loss of Frolik. He was, however, essentially a free signing which could have resulted in having better depth. Low risk/high reward. My only issue is that the team waiting too long in that he was given away on waivers instead of trying to get a return in a trade.
  • Signing a player out of college who can play on the fourth line/sit in the press box/be a good player for the AHL team and getting his RFA rights is not a mistake. The mistake was playing him too much and not sending him down earlier.
  • Matthias is good depth and can be traded next year for a decent return if the Jets don't make the playoffs again (and covers XD requirements). Nothing wrong here either.

This part underlined, though. I feel there was a lot of turnover after the 2014-15 playoff run season. I'm super curious into looking more into this...

Last edited:

clubkid75

Feb 7, 2016
Jets 1.0

trading Teemu Selanne

drafting Bautin 17th in the first round in 92 (Martin Straka, Valeri Bure and Boris Mironov were selected shortly after)

Jets 2.0

Re-signing Pavelec and Stuart

Letting the Trouba situation drag out as long as it did and will probably become a distraction again this season

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Hard to believe the Jets were so anxious to sign Pavy that they let that little incident (not informing the Jets of his DUI) slip between the cracks.

If they weren't informed, how could they have used his DUI as a reason to not sign him. ;)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Jets 1.0

trading Teemu Selanne

drafting Bautin 17th in the first round in 92 (Martin Straka, Valeri Bure and Boris Mironov were selected shortly after)

Jets 2.0

Re-signing Pavelec and Stuart

Letting the Trouba situation drag out as long as it did and will probably become a distraction again this season

Thought this was handled very well by Chevy. The only way to have settled the situation quicker was to trade him for a loss which would have been a worse outcome. Would also have opened the door for future power plays by RFA's. Getting Trouba on a fair bridge and playing hockey was a key to maintaining and increasing Trouba's value. Trouba did his part and proved himself to be a top pairing d-man. If nothing else this has greatly upped his trade value if he still wants out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad