Mistakes the Jets Still Regret

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ArizonaCoyotes19

May 28, 2008
Winnipeg
hockeylists.com
Hey guys, Coyotes fan coming in peace.

I'm currently researching for an article regarding mistakes the Jets still regret. This involves both the original Jets, and the Jets 2.0. Here are some of the mistakes I've come up with so far.

Drafting Jimmy Mann

Trading Dave Babych for Ray Neufeld

Drafting Andrew McBain

Steve Penny Trade

Drafting Ryan Stewart

Resigning Ondrej Pavelec

Drafting Lukas Sutter

Trading for Eric Fehr

Giving Kris Draper Away for a $1

Paul Ysebaert

Thanks in advance for any help.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

I'm currently researching for an article regarding mistakes the Jets still regret. This involves both the original Jets, and the Jets 2.0. Here are some of the mistakes I've come up with so far.

Drafting Jimmy Mann

Drafting Andrew McBain

Steve Penny Trade

Drafting Ryan Stewart

Resigning Ondrej Pavelec

Drafting Lukas Sutter

Trading for Eric Fehr

Paul Ysebaert

I would take off the "Trading for Eric Fehr" one, it was a decent gamble and we didn't give up much in value. Trade didn't work out but it wasn't a bad move and certainly not something anyone cared about the following season

You did however miss a big one, one that has been discussed in many a threads on this board and cause many arguments- Letting Frolik and Stempniak walk for nothing.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Stempniak was a TD rental and a free agent at the end of the year. He probably should have been re-signed, but stating that he walked "for nothing" is not correct.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
The pavelec contract is by far the biggest mistake made by the jets 2.0. I would argue it's the only one of consequence.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Ya I wouldn't include ufas not re-signing, it's not like the team can control who wants to stay or go.

Trading Selanne instead if Tkachuk.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
The #1 mistake the Jets (and their fans) regret:

Not listening to Shenkarow and the various reports and going ahead to build a new arena in the early 1990s, thus preventing the Jets from having to leave town in the first place.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Drafting Jimmy Mann in the 1st round in 1979. This was the year that the NHL move the draft age from 21 to 18. Amazing Mark Messier, Glenn Anderson and much much more still not taken.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
And with their first pick, 17th overall, the Winnipeg Jets select Sergei Bautin.

(Leaving Martin Straka, Valeri Bure, Michael Peca, Matthias Nordstrom, Jere Lehtinen etc on the board....)

m.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
The #1 mistake the Jets (and their fans) regret:

Not listening to Shenkarow and the various reports and going ahead to build a new arena in the early 1990s, thus preventing the Jets from having to leave town in the first place.

The bigger problem was the Art Mauro Steering Committee report that said the Jets wouldn't be viable even with a new arena.

With that said, I think the biggest mistake was having Winnipeg Enterprises involved with the Jets / Winnipeg Arena.

m.

Andreas Ferrari

Dale is the GOAT!!!
Apr 4, 2015
WinnerPeg
We should have built a bigger, better arena.

Sorry, just have to :deadhorse :laugh:

I'm 6'2" and I had to sit in the last row,upper deck,corner seat,with arm rest that actually point inward.And that seat cost $200 because Pittsburgh was in town!!!

While I'm here we should have road Mike Smith out of town on a rail and kept Dale Hawerchuk.That kid loved Winnipeg and wanted to spend his entire career here.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Stempniak was a TD rental and a free agent at the end of the year. He probably should have been re-signed, but stating that he walked "for nothing" is not correct.

But he should still write that not re-signing Stempniak was one of the big mistakes in the Jets' history. It needs to be recorded somewhere so our grandchildren can still think about how things could have been.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011

Drafting Jimmy Mann

Drafting Andrew McBain

Steve Penny Trade

Drafting Ryan Stewart

Resigning Ondrej Pavelec

Drafting Lukas Sutter

Trading for Eric Fehr

Paul Ysebaert

Two words Sergei Bautin!!

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Not taking Gretzky when Skalbania offered him to Winnipeg first.

Choosing to not protect Kent Nilsson in expansion.

Trading Babych for Neufeld

Alternating goalies in the 1990 playoffs

Mike Smith

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Frolik was never a star player.

I think the bigger mistake was not trading Frolik as a pending UFA.

But looking at the Jets' forward talent and depth now, along with the future salary cap needs, it's hard to see how Frolik would be a huge need. Going forward, it would likely be Frolik or Perreault as the $4M+ middle-6 winger. Hard to see how the Jets could afford around $8.5M to keep both Frolik and Perreault going forward, with Ehlers, Laine, Wheeler and Connor set up for the top wing spots and Armia and/or Dano (Roslovic?) offering an inexpensive and effective 3rd line RW.

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
Not taking Gretzky when Skalbania offered him to Winnipeg first.

Choosing to not protect Kent Nilsson in expansion.

Trading Babych for Neufeld

Alternating goalies in the 1990 playoffs

Mike Smith

Good list. I wish they could have acquired better wingers for Hawerchuk and Steen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad