Mississauga Steelheads 2022-23 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Going to miss the big guns, really disappointing season for the Steelheads with high expectations coming into the year. Wasn't sure if Beck would be traded, but if there is even a 10% chance he makes the Habs next year then I think JR made the right decision. If they are also building to contend in 2 years, they would not have been able to get a high end 06' like Van Volsen at next year's deadline.

Now this team looks exciting and they played great against a tired Wolves team on Sunday. So happy for Hardie to have set the franchise records for points and goals. Imagine what his OHL totals would be had we not missed a season during the pandemic

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I certainly get where you are coming from, that when you have the pieces, at some point you need to put it all together for a championship run.

I think you may be underrating how good Martone and Van Volsen may be as early as next year. I'm estimating they will be way better than Hardie, Del Mastro and Del Bel Belluz for sure

There is also a realistic chance they will be better positioned in goal when that time comes then they were this year.

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
Pretty good six-game stretch starting tonight. 3 against NIA, 1 each with BAR/ER/NB.

Going 4-1-1 is possible, maybe 5-1 with the NB game almost a certain loss.

Reactions: Tarantula

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
And Mississauga made better moves at the deadline. Niagara got fleeced in that trade with Windsor.
Miss got fair returns for making the Sting and Petes legitimate contenders.
To be fair, Niagara had had little choice but part with Dionicio to be rid of Castle. I think they did ok getting younger and returning Ride, O’Flaherty and 2nd pick under the circumstances.
The return for Dann can be considered a fleecing.
The Zito trade was a really good one for both teams. Overall, Niagara did well in their dealings during the month leading up to the deadline imo.

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
Miss got fair returns for making the Sting and Petes legitimate contenders.
To be fair, Niagara had had little choice but part with Dionicio to be rid of Castle. I think they did ok getting younger and returning Ride, O’Flaherty and 2nd pick under the circumstances.
The return for Dann can be considered a fleecing.
The Zito trade was a really good one for both teams. Overall, Niagara did well in their dealings during the month leading up to the deadline imo.
Nice synopsis...I agree!

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
4th line was possibly the best line Friday night. Cooke should have scored a few and Karmiris seemed to play with a lot more confidence. They even got 10 seconds of PP time so clearly JR was rewarding them. Great to see.

Yeah Cooke had a couple good looks, funny how this team has been creating good scoring chances and not just shots the last three games. Martone has quick, nifty hands when handling the puck in traffic. He's made a instant impression on me. Sauga now has 3 '22 1rst rounders, (5th, 6th, 13th), 2 '21 1rst rounders ( 9th, 13th) on their roster as forwards. Next couple of years should be entertaining to say the least.
No the didn’t.

Yes they did, especially when you factor in the LaVoie trade between the 2 clubs prior to the deadline, those picks will be handy when building off the above post. The Dogs left a mess on the carpet and are out of treats...

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yeah Cooke had a couple good looks, funny how this team has been creating good scoring chances and not just shots the last three games. Martone has quick, nifty hands when handling the puck in traffic. He's made a instant impression on me. Sauga now has 3 '22 1rst rounders, (5th, 6th, 13th), 2 '21 1rst rounders ( 9th, 13th) on their roster as forwards. Next couple of years should be entertaining to say the least.

Yes they did, especially when you factor in the LaVoie trade between the 2 clubs prior to the deadline, those picks will be handy when building off the above post. The Dogs left a mess on the carpet and are out of treats...
Enright, Struthers, Cooke, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4
Lavoie 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 12, 15

That is the sum of 3 transactions. Was there another?
If you break it down further with Enright moved for a 5th & *10th;
Struthers, Cooke, 2, *10
Lavoie, 12, 15
I think it worth the shot Richmond took on these players, but Niagara got the best player.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
What makes Finn Harding a top prospect? 8th round pick. Not ranked in central scouting midterm list. Please elaborate.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
What makes Finn Harding a top prospect? 8th round pick. Not ranked in central scouting midterm list. Please elaborate.
Have you been watching him? He plays a flawless game as a 17 yo rookie. Nothing flashy and not a big point producer but better defensively than Del Mastro. I cannot recall him making a defensive zone giveaway in January. He hasn’t been beaten 1:1. I’m actually amazed at how fast he has progressed. If he doesn’t get drafted it only because central scouting is lazy and they don’t look at 8th rounders. I think he is the best 17 year old on the team.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Have you been watching him? He plays a flawless game as a 17 yo rookie. Nothing flashy and not a big point producer but better defensively than Del Mastro. I cannot recall him making a defensive zone giveaway in January. He hasn’t been beaten 1:1. I’m actually amazed at how fast he has progressed. If he doesn’t get drafted it only because central scouting is lazy and they don’t look at 8th rounders. I think he is the best 17 year old on the team.
You’re obviously a big fan of Harding. I have no doubt he is sound defensively having been coached by the best coach for defensemen in the league imo. But he is just 4-5 on the depth chart; whereas Del Mastro at 18, led the steelheads in TOI, and was arguably the second or third best defensive defenseman in the league last season.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
You’re obviously a big fan of Harding. I have no doubt he is sound defensively having been coached by the best coach for defensemen in the league imo. But he is just 4-5 on the depth chart; whereas Del Mastro at 18, led the steelheads in TOI, and was arguably the second or third best defensive defenseman in the league last season.
Del Mastro was prone to making risky passes while breaking out of the defensive zone. He was/is an excellent puck handler, but I would argue that Harding fills his shoes and the team is no worse off.
As far as depth chart on defence, sure Sharp and Callaghan are ahead of Harding but who else? Larsen is slow and soft. Harding and Von Richter are the future but I would rank Harding ahead at this point.
I would rank Harding ahead of Sharpe to be honest.
Charlie is still king though.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Del Mastro was prone to making risky passes while breaking out of the defensive zone. He was/is an excellent puck handler, but I would argue that Harding fills his shoes and the team is no worse off.
As far as depth chart on defence, sure Sharp and Callaghan are ahead of Harding but who else? Larsen is slow and soft. Harding and Von Richter are the future but I would rank Harding ahead at this point.
I would rank Harding ahead of Sharpe to be honest.
Charlie is still king though.
I think you need to consider that the TOI for Harding was sheltered. He just has not been used in the difficult spots that DelMastro, Callahan, Sharpe, and Larsen have.
I’m not sure Harding can be compared to Akey, Bonk, Gibson at this time, let alone better defensively than his former teammate that was utilized in a defensive role for consecutive world jr gold medal winning teams.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
What a weekend for the team, I was at the game on Friday and thought they outplayed them for most of the game. Got into some penalty trouble (looking at you Leskovar and Schwindt) but managed to fight through!

No matter what happens for the rest of the season in terms of results, love seeing the young guys working their tails off, especially on the forecheck. Going to be a tough matchup for many of the contenders in the East if they aren't matching the Steelheads effort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad