Mississauga Steelheads 2022-23 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
PBO is at OTT tonight, then comes down to play here tomorrow afternoon.
NB is at NIA tomorrow night, then goes all the way home to play the Fish on Sunday afternoon.

With a win at home tonight, there's a very real chance they run the table and grab 4th.
I'll say Trout show up tonight and win 4-3, GWG Hardie

Reactions: Roadhog

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Three face offs in the third period within half a minute led to a goal, then a double minor at the centre ice face off, then a PP goal 8 seconds after the next one in their end. Hope they have more discipline today.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Tough loss tonight, but still liked how the team competed. That's all 3 games out shooting NB and a few scoring chances mixed in, not everything was outside.

Biggest obstacles facing them now other then their opposition is their special teams play, and Dzone coverage.

Officiating was bad all night all the way around, for both teams so no excuses being made. However you have to laugh at a player 30 feet offside and no whistle.

Expecting something similar tomorrow night, should be a good one.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Congrats. Great win. Totally outplayed NB

Last season and prior to the trade deadline this team would on a regular basis out shoot their opponents but not get the quality scoring chances, ever since the deadline it's looked like a different team in that respect. The last 2 nights have been fun to be there at the arena even with the loss in game 3. Impressed with Leenders, he's looked quite steady for a true rookie starting the playoffs. They dealt away 3 fairly high NHL draft choices, Beck, DBB, EDM and I swear this team has been more cohesive on the ice since, at least offensively.

Bryce Cook limped badly to the dressing room Wed night and actually fell in the tunnel to the locker room. Pretty safe to say he's out for a bit, the Trout did not add a forward to the line up but added a Dman.

A series win was a big ask, but how this team is playing with so many younger players the near future should be something to look forward to.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I have circled 24-25 as the next potential window for the 67s after this season but Missy is gonna be tough to beat. Great coach behind the bench to go with a really solid roster.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
I have circled 24-25 as the next potential window for the 67s after this season but Missy is gonna be tough to beat. Great coach behind the bench to go with a really solid roster.
What is your genuine outlook on next season. Still a lot of returning players

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Not to turn this into a 67’s thread but to answer your question it is somewhat complex.

The returning team will be good but the 67’s are void draft picks from 2nd to 4th in 2025 and 2026. Realistically speaking, the 67’s don’t really have the draft capital to add to next year’s team at the deadline. So, best case scenario they remain status quo and add an OA or something like that. They could still finish top 3 but it wouldn’t be realistic to assume they’d be Champion Status contenders.

The projected roster the following season in 2024-25 would include the highly productive 16 and 17 year olds on this team now (Mews, Marrelli, Kelly, Gardiner, Foster, Pinelli, Barlas, Dever, Horner, Ewles etc). All competent OHLers right now. Their existing 18 year old class would form the potential returning OA’s (MacKenzie, Stonehouse, Gerrior, Mayich, Sirman, Smyth) all of which are good bets to play an OA season in the OHL. So, realistically, the nucleus of the returning roster looks very promising for 24-25. A lot more promising than 23-24.

So, it would make more sense for Ottawa to shift some assets forward. Look at dealing Rohrer and Donoso. If Beck returns as an OA, look at moving him. If one of Smyth or Sirman has value at the deadline, move one of them in advance of their OA season. They would then have a well stocked picks cupboard to augment the 24-25 roster.

They have the 22nd and 23rd picks this season as well. They should make out pretty decent with those picks. Nothing necessarily that would impact next season but maybe as 17 year olds in 24-25. They’ve done well in the Import draft recently. If they pick a 17 year old Import this year, that would be a 2nd year 18 year old in 24-25 and be impactful.

So, long story even longer, I think the 67’s brass would benefit from a minor sell off next season. Nothing major. Nothing massively impactful but enough to open some ice for the younger guys to roll with, make the playoffs in the 4-5 seed (Like Saginaw this year) and maybe win a round while recouping picks for the 2025 and 2026 season.

I think in a perfect World, the 67’s mirror Saginaw this year. Competitive enough across the board to be a decent team to watch but set up for the following season so even if they make a couple seller moves, it won’t hurt them to the point they fall below .500 and face a real rebuild. I think that should be the goal for the ‘Poles next year. Be Saginaw.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Not to turn this into a 67’s thread but to answer your question it is somewhat complex.

The returning team will be good but the 67’s are void draft picks from 2nd to 4th in 2025 and 2026. Realistically speaking, the 67’s don’t really have the draft capital to add to next year’s team at the deadline. So, best case scenario they remain status quo and add an OA or something like that. They could still finish top 3 but it wouldn’t be realistic to assume they’d be Champion Status contenders.

The projected roster the following season in 2024-25 would include the highly productive 16 and 17 year olds on this team now (Mews, Marrelli, Kelly, Gardiner, Foster, Pinelli, Barlas, Dever, Horner, Ewles etc). All competent OHLers right now. Their existing 18 year old class would form the potential returning OA’s (MacKenzie, Stonehouse, Gerrior, Mayich, Sirman, Smyth) all of which are good bets to play an OA season in the OHL. So, realistically, the nucleus of the returning roster looks very promising for 24-25. A lot more promising than 23-24.

So, it would make more sense for Ottawa to shift some assets forward. Look at dealing Rohrer and Donoso. If Beck returns as an OA, look at moving him. If one of Smyth or Sirman has value at the deadline, move one of them in advance of their OA season. They would then have a well stocked picks cupboard to augment the 24-25 roster.

They have the 22nd and 23rd picks this season as well. They should make out pretty decent with those picks. Nothing necessarily that would impact next season but maybe as 17 year olds in 24-25. They’ve done well in the Import draft recently. If they pick a 17 year old Import this year, that would be a 2nd year 18 year old in 24-25 and be impactful.

So, long story even longer, I think the 67’s brass would benefit from a minor sell off next season. Nothing major. Nothing massively impactful but enough to open some ice for the younger guys to roll with, make the playoffs in the 4-5 seed (Like Saginaw this year) and maybe win a round while recouping picks for the 2025 and 2026 season.

I think in a perfect World, the 67’s mirror Saginaw this year. Competitive enough across the board to be a decent team to watch but set up for the following season so even if they make a couple seller moves, it won’t hurt them to the point they fall below .500 and face a real rebuild. I think that should be the goal for the ‘Poles next year. Be Saginaw.
That is a great overview as always thanks @OMG67. I still think Ottawa will be one of the better teams in the east but ya just wont be able to add much. Saginaw format is a perfect one to follow and I could see them doing that Just makes sense to recoup some picks as either way there will be strong cores in place for 23/24 and most notably 24/25

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Barrie, maybe Sudbury or Niagara, and (Kingston especially) will be in the conversation of contention 2024-25 as well as Miss & Ottawa.
Missassauga has a huge head start for 2025-26.
Exciting middle of the pack team with a very decent chance of the most 2024 NHL draft picks from the CHL. The steelheads 2006 born plus late birth Misa plus possible ‘06 import is …outrageous?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Barrie, maybe Sudbury or Niagara, and (Kingston especially) will be in the conversation of contention 2024-25 as well as Miss & Ottawa.
Missassauga has a huge head start for 2025-26.

Exciting middle of the pack team with a very decent chance of the most 2024 NHL draft picks from the CHL. The steelheads 2006 born plus late birth Misa plus possible ‘06 import is …outrageous?

It will be interesting to see what teams do next year. If Saginaw looks to be the top team on the West, you could see some East teams jockey for position in hopes of getting Saginaw in the Final and a birth in the Memorial Cup.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It will be interesting to see what teams do next year. If Saginaw looks to be the top team on the West, you could see some East teams jockey for position in hopes of getting Saginaw in the Final and a birth in the Memorial Cup.
An unusual amount of buyers this year that can probably be attributed to COVID, but there should still be a lot of activity in a host year for the OHL.
Guelph, OS, & Flint should be good to start.
In the eastern conference, only NB looks good to start to me. Though I’m sure a few teams better suited for 2024-26 will trade their way in hoping Saginaw reaches the OHL final.
No, NB does not need to be a seller. The team can be over a full compliment of picks moving 1-2 OAs and Robertson or DiVincentiis as leaving McIvor in Jr another full season seems unlikely.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
What do the ‘heads do in goal next year? Does it make sense to bring Beglieri back when we started a 16 year old in every playoff game? I don’t think so. We probably need more important help on defence losing both Charlie and Larsen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad