Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part VII: The Not-So Lazy Hazy Crazy Days Of Summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Some would claim this as a basketball city yet the Sixers have some of the worst attendance numbers in the NBA based off capacity percentage. It's not really their fault though when attendance is almost an issue for every team outside of like 10 or so teams.

Snider made a good move by dumping them and letting some else worry about that while they still pay him money every month for rent.

It's also a good move for STH's so that don't have to buy Sixers tickets on top of Flyers tickets to get center ice seats anymore since Snider doesn't own them.

Oh no doubt that was the smart business move. The Sixers have piss poor attendance, but a lot of that is from the product on the court. They have terrible management and haven't had a real marketable star since Iverson left.

I do think Snider would get back in the NBA if the place was right. Being a successful NBA market is just as much about location as it is talent in most cases (outside of OKC). Unless you're in a major market or a desirable place to live, you're not going to attract the stars that you need to succeed in the star driven NBA. A lot of people thought Virginia Beach could at least be a decent NBA market because it's a pretty damn good place to live that would attract a good amount of free agents.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Oh no doubt that was the smart business move. The Sixers have piss poor attendance, but a lot of that is from the product on the court. They have terrible management and haven't had a real marketable star since Iverson left.

I do think Snider would get back in the NBA if the place was right. Being a successful NBA market is just as much about location as it is talent in most cases (outside of OKC). Unless you're in a major market or a desirable place to live, you're not going to attract the stars that you need to succeed in the star driven NBA. A lot of people thought Virginia Beach could at least be a decent NBA market because it's a pretty damn good place to live that would attract a good amount of free agents.

Maybe if he had more years left in the tank but he's just sticking to his true love now. He was always criticized for not giving as much attention to the Sixers compared to the Flyers even when the Sixers were doing well. I believe he was very vocal about how he doesn't like the way the NBA is ran compared to the NHL in the past when he owned both teams.

I just think the way the leagues are headed the NHL would be more lucrative at this point just on the CBA's alone.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Maybe if he had more years left in the tank but he's just sticking to his true love now. He was always criticized for not giving as much attention to the Sixers compared to the Flyers even when the Sixers were doing well. I believe he was very vocal about how he doesn't like the way the NBA is ran compared to the NHL in the past when he owned both teams.

I just think the way the leagues are headed the NHL would be more lucrative at this point just on the CBA's alone.

True enough. The NBA really has turned into a circus with the lack of any sense of parity. It's pretty much unwatchable until the second round of the playoffs.

Btw, does Pierre know it's 2013 and he doesn't have to scream into his mic to be heard?

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Based on the ongoing commentary from CBC, Kanye West should have appeared when Bob was awarded the Vezina to proclaim that 'Bobrovsky is great, but Tuukka Rask is the greatest of all-time!'

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
True enough. The NBA really has turned into a circus with the lack of any sense of parity. It's pretty much unwatchable until the second round of the playoffs.

Btw, does Pierre know it's 2013 and he doesn't have to scream into his mic to be heard?

In his spot Pierre likely is fighting crowd noise.

As for the NBA, haven't they only had like 9 winners in 35 years? That's a joke.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Is it? I thought it seemed kinda high. Has Voynov really proven that much?

Yes. He was handled correctly from the get go, and has played extremely well for the Kings the last year and a half. He starting shooting more often this year, and has a knack for timely goals. And he's likely to continue to get better.

A very, very good contract for the Kings. How Lombardi was able to swing it is beyond me, but to have a #2 or #3 defenseman for just over $4 million for the next 6 years is brilliant.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dean Lombardi loves his second contracts. But he didn't hold out for it for Voynov. Telling.

Another guy who Holmgren thought wouldn't be worth having over Steve Eminger

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Yes. He was handled correctly from the get go, and has played extremely well for the Kings the last year and a half. He starting shooting more often this year, and has a knack for timely goals. And he's likely to continue to get better.

A very, very good contract for the Kings. How Lombardi was able to swing it is beyond me, but to have a #2 or #3 defenseman for just over $4 million for the next 6 years is brilliant.

This is a perfect contract for both the Kings and Voynov. He never had a sophomore jinx and his offense has improved. We haven't seen his best play yet.

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013
Nice goal by Chicago there. Poor backchecking by Bergeron but you'll never here of it because he's now the best center in the league. Pierre already blamed it on Marchand instead.

Funny that they were praising Chara for his stick swinging defense and hardly said much about Chicago's sweet goal.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Nice goal by Chicago there. Poor backchecking by Bergeron but you'll never here of it because he's now the best center in the league. Pierre already blamed it on Marchand instead.

Funny that they were praising Chara for his stick swinging defense and hardly said much about Chicago's sweet goal.

I've always found Chara to be overrated recently, but honestly the talent at D in league is pretty shallow compared to what it used to be. He's prone to lapses, sometimes for games at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad