Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part VII: The Not-So Lazy Hazy Crazy Days Of Summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
Game 2 going to OT. Other than last year, the last time the first 2 games of the finals went to OT was 1951. :amazed:

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I guess they don't understand that the Hart goes to the player "judged most valuable to his team." The Pens still win without Crosby. The Caps wouldn't have made the playoffs without Ovi.

Exactly. It's not a hard concept. Ovi IS the Caps offense. If he isn't producing neither are the Caps. Incidentally, that makes them easy to stop in the POs. If his team had real forward depth they would be a serious threat. They rely way to hard on 3rd/4th liners and lack center depth.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
1. Jagr can't buy a goal right now.

:laugh:

3Tz0hz7.gif

2. That was a terrible non-call by the refs. I understand it's overtime, but Jagr's stick was held for a good 5 seconds while he was trying to get to the puck. You gotta call that.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I hope Jagr scores the Cup winning goal from a bad angle in game 5 OT in Chicago.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I thought you hope no one wins cause only losers root for a team other then their own for any reason...guess not.

I do hope no one wins-- but someone will-- doesn't mean I'm not a tremendous fan of karmic justice with a splash of irony.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
So it looks like "put up or shut up" time is fastly approaching for Phoenix and the city of Glendale. Bettman has been in talks with the Mayor of Seattle and potential owners who would be interested in buying and moving the team there. What's everyone's thoughts on Seattle as a possible hockey city?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So it looks like "put up or shut up" time is fastly approaching for Phoenix and the city of Glendale. Bettman has been in talks with the Mayor of Seattle and potential owners who would be interested in buying and moving the team there. What's everyone's thoughts on Seattle as a possible hockey city?

Good idea. Built in rivalry with Vancouver. New arena on the way, one that will probably have an NBA team as well. And, they would be pretty damned hard pressed to make less money than they are in Phoenix.

They should name them the Starbuckers.*

*This is one of the worst ideas I've ever had.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Can't be any worse than Glendale, but I wanted the Coyotes to go to Quebec so the league was forced to redo their awful, unbalanced realignment.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Good idea. Built in rivalry with Vancouver. New arena on the way, one that will probably have an NBA team as well. And, they would be pretty damned hard pressed to make less money than they are in Phoenix.

They should name them the Starbuckers.*

*This is one of the worst ideas I've ever had.

Also though not major hockey there is hockey roots in Seattle so at the very least they have something to build off

Its not like when Whalers moved to Carolina and they had to build a fanbase from an area not too familiar with game

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Seattle's a pretty good sports town overall. It doesn't F up the realignment for the NHL. The WHL has a a whole division dedicated to teams located in Washington State and I believe most of them do pretty well in attendance. IMO that area has some potential as a pretty good hockey market.

I want the NHL back in Quebec but Seattle makes too much sense at this point.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I still think they should add another 2 teams to the NHL if they are going to keep the 4 divisions. Phoenix to Seattle and then QC + Another city gets a team?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I still think they should add another 2 teams to the NHL if they are going to keep the 4 divisions. Phoenix to Seattle and then QC + Another city gets a team?

The other expansion team would need to be a US city, I think. That's where the big TV contracts are. We know they've been eyeing Kansas City in the past...I hope they don't do Las Vegas. Another desert locale, and with a couple passing links to organized gambling.

By passing links, I mean "completely and totally synonymous with gambling, corruption, and shady dealing"

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
The other expansion team would need to be a US city, I think. That's where the big TV contracts are. We know they've been eyeing Kansas City in the past...I hope they don't do Las Vegas. Another desert locale, and with a couple passing links to organized gambling.

By passing links, I mean "completely and totally synonymous with gambling, corruption, and shady dealing"

The word is if the Coyotes stay in Phoenix, it will be Seattle and QC. If the dogs move to Seattle then it will be QC and Markham. With Houston and KC behind them.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Wonder if NHL is hopeful that putting team in Seattle would make Steve Allen look into NHL at Rose Garden

Only time he pretended interest in NHL was when he lost control of Rose Garden and he badly wanted it back (Kicked tires on Pens)

ONce he gained control back of Rose Garden he quickly quit his pursuit of hockey

Guy continues to believe that NHL team would threaten his precious Blazers ,, Its real idiotic IMO. If anything having two teams should make him even more successful sports owner (I mean the Blazers wont be winning him anything anytime soon)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Wonder if NHL is hopeful that putting team in Seattle would make Steve Allen look into NHL at Rose Garden

Only time he pretended interest in NHL was when he lost control of Rose Garden and he badly wanted it back (Kicked tires on Pens)

ONce he gained control back of Rose Garden he quickly quit his pursuit of hockey

Guy continues to believe that NHL team would threaten his precious Blazers ,, Its real idiotic IMO. If anything having two teams should make him even more successful sports owner (I mean the Blazers wont be winning him anything anytime soon)

I don't know how anyone would be more interested in owning an NBA team over an NHL team at this point with the terrible lack of parity, attendance records, and CBA in the NBA. It's basically a 6 team league operating with 24 other teams.

I'm sure Ed Snider and Comcast are happy they found some dumb shmucks to buy the Sixers off them while still paying rent at the WFC.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I don't know how anyone would be more interested in owning an NBA team over an NHL team at this point with the terrible lack of parity, attendance records, and CBA in the NBA. It's basically a 6 team league operating with 24 other teams.

I'm sure Ed Snider and Comcast are happy they found some dumb shmucks to buy the Sixers off them while still paying rent at the WFC.

Not really. Comcast Spectacor put in a bid less than a year ago to try and buy the Sacramento Kings and move them down here to Virginia Beach. It fell through in part because the city nixed a tax funded arena deal. There's still a ton of money to be made in the right market for the NBA. This area is a huge basketball market at the lower levels and is just dying for a pro team.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Not really. Comcast Spectacor put in a bid less than a year ago to try and buy the Sacramento Kings and move them down here to Virginia Beach. It fell through in part because the city nixed a tax funded arena deal. There's still a ton of money to be made in the right market for the NBA. This area is a huge basketball market at the lower levels and is just dying for a pro team.

Some would claim this as a basketball city yet the Sixers have some of the worst attendance numbers in the NBA based off capacity percentage. It's not really their fault though when attendance is almost an issue for every team outside of like 10 or so teams.

Snider made a good move by dumping them and letting some else worry about that while they still pay him money every month for rent.

It's also a good move for STH's so that don't have to buy Sixers tickets on top of Flyers tickets to get center ice seats anymore since Snider doesn't own them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad