Miscellaneous NHL Discussion XCII: A buyer's or seller's market?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The trade deadline will be...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Provorov not wearing the blouse helped lead to Fletcher and soon to be others getting fired so… ends justify the means?

Yeah, I very strongly suspect the dysfunction highlighted by that was a major factor in waking Comcast up. "What do you mean these people are operating without allowing oversight? What are the resul--oh god"

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Its funny how quickly any one that is of faith is banned here but people can say the most silly and nasty things to people that are Christians....funny how thats work....and btw, we understand the Law and its value under a new dispensation Flybynite quite well.....I would suggest reading Romans.......

You mean the mining for Electric car batteries?

Please list a single "person of faith" banned here for their faith.

I just want to make it very clear that this has never happened and will never happen.

Reactions: kudymen

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, I very strongly suspect the dysfunction highlighted by that was a major factor in waking Comcast up. "What do you mean these people are operating without allowing oversight? What are the resul--oh god"

It’s just wild they figured they could drop that bit of information last minute on the business people. This was absolutely a situation where you need people who expertise in PR relations to consult on a game plan on what to do ahead of time.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
There are very few good political songs.
There are lots of good songs that have political implications.
A good song is essentially a short story set to music, who wants to read a short story that consists of the author lecturing you on a political issue?

The best songwriters can make their point without beating you around the head with it.

You are the weirdest damn Dead fan I’ve ever met. Smaller journalists would be writing for “real outlets” if they were any good. Constant appeals to authority.

We’ve got the most bitter about love song ever written in “Hallelujah” being used as a common wedding song and you think people take the time to understand what they’re hearing? That they ever get the point? Hell, that they care what the point is?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You are the weirdest damn Dead fan I’ve ever met. Smaller journalists would be writing for “real outlets” if they were any good. Constant appeals to authority.

We’ve got the most bitter about love song ever written in “Hallelujah” being used as a common wedding song and you think people take the time to understand what they’re hearing? That they ever get the point? Hell, that they care what the point is?
"People". That's a broad brush.

"The People" have always been ignorant and dangerous.
Go back and read the Federalist papers and their fear of the "mob" (not unwarranted in light of Jan. 6).

One of my favorite historians was Richard Hofstadter, who fell out of favor in the 1970s and 1980s when leftist historians saw him and the other consensus historians as "sellouts," fast forward a few decades and he looks awfully prescient - he didn't romanticize the Populists like Kazin and other writers, he understood when they talked about democracy, it was against the urban elite and in favor of people like themselves, the "true Americans."

The Paranoid Style in American Politics
Anti-Intellectualism In American Life
The Age Of Reform

One of the myths of the Grateful Dead is they were 60's hippies who just wanted to do drugs and hang out.
They're actually part of a continuum with the 1950s "Beatniks," hung out with Neal Cassidy (of On the Road fame), friends with Ken Kesey (One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest). Started out as folk musicians, then turned on and tuned out (drugs were initially courtesy of the CIA, then Owsley (aka Kid Charlemagne) turned on the world. House band for the Hell's Angels. Hardest working band in showbiz, played 200+ dates a year, built up a brand without hit records or marketing through sheer hard work.

What they really reflected was a combination of the Puritan work ethic and the libertarian streak that underlies American individualism, along with a strong "family" ethic (in their case, a large extended family that they supported).

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

The absolute funniest thing in the last several years was RATM fans bashing Tom Morello "for going political." People suck at paying attention.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
"People". That's a broad brush.

"The People" have always been ignorant and dangerous.
Go back and read the Federalist papers and their fear of the "mob" (not unwarranted in light of Jan. 6).

One of my favorite historians was Richard Hofstadter, who fell out of favor in the 1970s and 1980s when leftist historians saw him and the other consensus historians as "sellouts," fast forward a few decades and he looks awfully prescient - he didn't romanticize the Populists like Kazin and other writers, he understood when they talked about democracy, it was against the urban elite and in favor of people like themselves, the "true Americans."

The Paranoid Style in American Politics
Anti-Intellectualism In American Life
The Age Of Reform

One of the myths of the Grateful Dead is they were 60's hippies who just wanted to do drugs and hang out.
They're actually part of a continuum with the 1950s "Beatniks," hung out with Neal Cassidy (of On the Road fame), friends with Ken Kesey (One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest). Started out as folk musicians, then turned on and tuned out (drugs were initially courtesy of the CIA, then Owsley (aka Kid Charlemagne) turned on the world. House band for the Hell's Angels. Hardest working band in showbiz, played 200+ dates a year, built up a brand without hit records or marketing through sheer hard work.

What they really reflected was a combination of the Puritan work ethic and the libertarian streak that underlies American individualism, along with a strong "family" ethic (in their case, a large extended family that they supported).

Your response to me saying that by and large people don’t try to understand music was telling me how misunderstood the Dead are. I know you’re not disagreeing perpendicularly, but it still amused me. I will say that talking up Hofstadter makes a lot of things you say make more sense. It’s impossible to even have a discussion about him without delving into the gorilla of the 50s, and that is definitely not for this board.

Touring is indeed hard work. I know people in the business end of the industry who swear they don’t get nearly enough credit for blowing up that way without the hits during the era when radio was still king.

I’m going to assume you mean the traditional libertarian definition rather than the modern one, both because I think you do and because it’s outside the scope of the board. And also that I don’t like yelling.

The absolute funniest thing in the last several years was RATM fans bashing Tom Morello "for going political." People suck at paying attention.

You have got to be shitting me. :laugh:

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018

Born in the USA is so patriotic too. And also the sky was actually yellow and the sun was really blue

I can only imagine what's being said right now

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Your response to me saying that by and large people don’t try to understand music was telling me how misunderstood the Dead are. I know you’re not disagreeing perpendicularly, but it still amused me. I will say that talking up Hofstadter makes a lot of things you say make more sense. It’s impossible to even have a discussion about him without delving into the gorilla of the 50s, and that is definitely not for this board.

Touring is indeed hard work. I know people in the business end of the industry who swear they don’t get nearly enough credit for blowing up that way without the hits during the era when radio was still king.

I’m going to assume you mean the traditional libertarian definition rather than the modern one, both because I think you do and because it’s outside the scope of the board. And also that I don’t like yelling.

You have got to be shitting me. :laugh:

I really wish I were. And I made sure to investigate deeper, it was not trolling. Needless to say Tom was flabbergasted too.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Imagine listening to the words of songs

Nerds

How can we not talk about family when family's all that we got?
Everything I went through, you were standing there by my side
And now you gon' be with me for the last ride

giphy.webp

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Most religious people aren't actually using the Bible as their main book so that wasn't the fix you thought it was.

Christianity is around 30% in the world. There certainly are plenty of people in other religions who pick and choose what they want in those religions. Now if you want to apply it to the US it becomes more of a fixed situation because Christianity or people claiming some 'flavor' of Christianity probably is around 2/3 or more of US religions.

But growing up in a very Catholic household, having been around many other Catholics in an extended family, going to Catholic school. Going to a Christian college, being around other people of the Christian faith. Having dated a very religious protestant woman and even had an ongoing business relationship with a pastor (well former now) of a large church in Philadelphia)

The amount of 'picking and choosing' is so laughable.

"Ok... I'll take a side order to commit prejudice against lgbtq. But hold the ban on pre-marital sex, Also gonna need some dispensation to reject oh... Let's say 70% of the Ten Commandments."
Sounds like the vast majority of your personal experiences are around one group of people. Pretty wild that your personal anecdotes all involve that same group of people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad