Miscellaneous NHL Discussion XCII: A buyer's or seller's market?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The trade deadline will be...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If the teams were smart they’d stop having players personally advertise any causes on the ice and just have ____ Night be on their side.

Could avoid headaches like these and all the backlash that comes with it.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Oh cool, another homophobe hiding behind religion.
I saw twitter things about some people 'walking out' of the Shazam movie because one of the characters comes out as gay and claiming it's for their 'religion'.

So a 'gay character' is something to walk out of a movie on... but it's ok to watch a movie that features GODS AND GODDESSES of pagan religions that aren't supposed to have 'been real' and establish that your "God" doesn't actually exist in the movie universe?

Christians really 'pick and choose' what parts of the Bible and teachings they actually decide to follow. Plenty of the ones out there opposing gay rights and the existence of gay people are breaking multiple commandments on a weekly (if not daily) basis.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If the teams were smart they’d stop having players personally advertise any causes on the ice and just have ____ Night be on their side.

Could avoid headaches like these and all the backlash that comes with it.

It would probably look bad on the league if there still is any remaining advertised pride nights for teams left on the year but wouldn’t be surprised if the league eventually tells teams going into next year to scrap it out.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It would probably look bad on the league if there still is any remaining advertised pride nights for teams left on the year but wouldn’t be surprised if the league eventually tells teams going into next year to scrap it out.
Yeah. Keep everything else, do whatever night they want, just don’t involve all the players directly.

Just in general, it should never be “you’re in unless you opt out”. It should always be “you can opt in if you want”.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
This is the problem I have -- the picking and choosing of what part of the religion you want to follow.

I have a problem with religion in general. George Carlin got it right in one of his rants.

That’s the chickenshit way out.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah. Keep everything else, do whatever night they want, just don’t involve all the players directly.

Just in general, it should never be “you’re in unless you opt out”. It should always be “you can opt in if you want”.

It seems like the NHL does more Pride related nights compared to other sports.

The NFL puts all their charitable causes on display for everybody to see but I don’t think they do Pride related causes. The cancer, military appreciation, & even the racial equality stuff is all on display by them.

I have a problem with religion in general. George Carlin got it right in one of his rants.

That’s the chickenshit way out.

I’m not advocating or endorsing it. I’m just strictly talking from a business standpoint.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I always wonder if the outrage lets people feel they actually have some illusion of control over the world, when it’s really all kinda just modern serfdom/slavery. :sarcasm:

Reactions: ggro

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I always wonder if the outrage lets people feel they actually have some illusion of control over the world, when it’s really all kinda just modern serfdom/slavery. :sarcasm:

The internet has been quite a bain on people. There's always outrage on meaningless stuff that won't effect anything.

Provorov not wearing a pride night jersey? Who cares. He's a professional athlete and can have his own delusional russian opinions as far as I'm concerned (can't vote here anyways). Yet... the environmental damage of mining for cobalt goes largely unnoticed for example.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I saw twitter things about some people 'walking out' of the Shazam movie because one of the characters comes out as gay and claiming it's for their 'religion'.

So a 'gay character' is something to walk out of a movie on... but it's ok to watch a movie that features GODS AND GODDESSES of pagan religions that aren't supposed to have 'been real' and establish that your "God" doesn't actually exist in the movie universe?

Christians really 'pick and choose' what parts of the Bible and teachings they actually decide to follow. Plenty of the ones out there opposing gay rights and the existence of gay people are breaking multiple commandments on a weekly (if not daily) basis.
Its funny how quickly any one that is of faith is banned here but people can say the most silly and nasty things to people that are Christians....funny how thats work....and btw, we understand the Law and its value under a new dispensation Flybynite quite well.....I would suggest reading Romans.......

The internet has been quite a bain on people. There's always outrage on meaningless stuff that won't effect anything.

Provorov not wearing a pride night jersey? Who cares. He's a professional athlete and can have his own delusional russian opinions as far as I'm concerned (can't vote here anyways). Yet... the environmental damage of mining for cobalt goes largely unnoticed for example.
You mean the mining for Electric car batteries?

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Its funny how quickly any one that is of faith is banned here but people can say the most silly and nasty things to people that are Christians....funny how thats work....and btw, we understand the Law and its value under a new dispensation Flybynite quite well.....I would suggest reading Romans.......

You mean the mining for Electric car batteries?

Anything lithium ion related. My point was more that there's a ton of actual important stuff that goes largely unnoticed.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Anything lithium ion related. My point was more that there's a ton of actual important stuff that goes largely unnoticed.
Oh, that's noticed, not by the general media, more because it's technical, so few reporters understand it and even fewer can translate it into an article the general public can get.

But you can find numerous reports on the lifecycle energy and environmental costs of various technologies - but beware of the source, if it's an ideological think tank, move on (you often can't tell by name, but look at the mission statement buzzwords, or the board of directors).

Reactions: freakydallas13

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Fixed that for you.
Most religious people aren't actually using the Bible as their main book so that wasn't the fix you thought it was.

Christianity is around 30% in the world. There certainly are plenty of people in other religions who pick and choose what they want in those religions. Now if you want to apply it to the US it becomes more of a fixed situation because Christianity or people claiming some 'flavor' of Christianity probably is around 2/3 or more of US religions.

But growing up in a very Catholic household, having been around many other Catholics in an extended family, going to Catholic school. Going to a Christian college, being around other people of the Christian faith. Having dated a very religious protestant woman and even had an ongoing business relationship with a pastor (well former now) of a large church in Philadelphia)

The amount of 'picking and choosing' is so laughable.

"Ok... I'll take a side order to commit prejudice against lgbtq. But hold the ban on pre-marital sex, Also gonna need some dispensation to reject oh... Let's say 70% of the Ten Commandments."

• Love
Reactions: Amorgus

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
My view on religion is simple: believe whatever you want to believe, just don’t force it on others and for f*** sake don’t get all hot and bothered just because someone believes something different. Now when it comes to sports, and entertainment for that matter, I’d prefer if they left religion/politics/causes out of it. When I watch a game, movie or a concert, I just want to be entertained.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
a concert, I just want to be entertained.

Musically I have to disagree there. Lots of great music is written about politics/religion/causes.

Often times the message just goes right over people's heads. Rage Against the Machine, Pink Floyd - The Wall...
It's too early for me to think about the rest.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Musically I have to disagree there. Lots of great music is written about politics/religion/causes.

Often times the message just goes right over people's heads. Rage Against the Machine, Pink Floyd - The Wall...
I have no problem with politically themed music, but once the performers start lecturing the audience between songs, well, that’s where you lose me.

Again, to each his own, this is just how I feel.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

There are very few good political songs.
There are lots of good songs that have political implications.
A good song is essentially a short story set to music, who wants to read a short story that consists of the author lecturing you on a political issue?

The best songwriters can make their point without beating you around the head with it.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
There are very few good political songs.
There are lots of good songs that have political implications.
A good song is essentially a short story set to music, who wants to read a short story that consists of the author lecturing you on a political issue?

The best songwriters can make their point without beating you around the head with it.

I fail to see much of a difference between political songs and songs with political implications.

Poor songwriting as a whole is beating you over the head with it. It shouldn't come off as much of a suprise that most modern music falls into the poor songwriting category.

Bob Dylan is a master at his craft but his voice..... best left to have others cover them. People get upset about political messages in music and then fail to realize that a lot of the best musicians always wanted to convey some sort of message through their music anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad