Miscellaneous NHL Discussion XCII: A buyer's or seller's market?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The trade deadline will be...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
4 goals in less than 5 games for Vrana with the Blues. Traded for an AHLer and 7th round pick. I know he has another year at $5.25MM, but risk-reward requires risk. If you have cap space and available usage *cough* that’s how you possibly create value out of nothing. It’s amazing how few “rebuilding” teams understand that concept.
wins in the margins is for NERDSSSSS

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
4 goals in less than 5 games for Vrana with the Blues. Traded for an AHLer and 7th round pick. I know he has another year at $5.25MM, but risk-reward requires risk. If you have cap space and available usage *cough* that’s how you possibly create value out of nothing. It’s amazing how few “rebuilding” teams understand that concept.

Has it actually been said what was going on with him to make him such a gamble?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Has it actually been said what was going on with him to make him such a gamble?

Not as far as I’m aware. All we know is that he was in the player assistance program, which isn’t necessarily addictions. Even so, Detroit didn’t want him on the NHL team. I won’t speculate. Another team did take him though, so you can’t say it wasn’t possible for others.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
What will happen though is that they'll miss, the Flyers will win too many games, and the Pens will end up winning the lottery and jumping them.

Isn't that a given at this point?

lol almost 20 points outa POs now..

what a truely "hard to play against" team..

hahaaa...

..but.. but.. but... 5th most improved team!!

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Do you know how soccer does with these things? As a complete outsider, I would guess that the pool of players is so large and the method of transfer makes it much easier. But translating metrics and opinions across that many pro leagues is a nightmare.

I know Liverpool is heavy on data for example. But I don’t know if I hear about it because it’s unusual or just because they won often.

Analytics in football is huge and growing all the time. You should have a read about Brentford - I'm sure @CanadianFlyer88 can find an article about their process and the results they have had. There is this one also about Monaco's Paul Mitchell.

Paul Mitchell - Athletic

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

It’s funny, right? On the day of that damn Flyers quote I said THIS guy is the definition of a reclamation project

Reactions: Magua and Rebels57

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Do you know how soccer does with these things? As a complete outsider, I would guess that the pool of players is so large and the method of transfer makes it much easier. But translating metrics and opinions across that many pro leagues is a nightmare.

I know Liverpool is heavy on data for example. But I don’t know if I hear about it because it’s unusual or just because they won often.

Analytics in football is huge and growing all the time. You should have a read about Brentford - I'm sure @CanadianFlyer88 can find an article about their process and the results they have had. There is this one also about Monaco's Paul Mitchell.

Paul Mitchell - Athletic
This is a pretty good high level summary of how Matthew Benham (Brentford and Midtjylland owner) has used analytics and mathematical modeling to compete with a smaller budget. It was written during the season that they did earn promotion to the Premier League after a heartbreaking choke the previous season.

Specifics of their methods are hard to come by. Obviously it's a competitive industry where models are generally not shared, but Benham is also an extremely private person already, who rarely talks publicly.

Data on soccer players is lightyears ahead of a sport like hockey, so you can identify inefficiencies beyond the top leagues because even the lesser leagues have comprehensive information about their players. This allows for a constant cycle of bigger clubs poaching players from lesser clubs for a variety of reasons... but it also allows lesser clubs to acquire cast offs from bigger clubs on the cheap.

There's nothing like it in the sporting world because soccer has more high level professional leagues globally than any other team sport.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Couts said it wasn't what he signed up for, but he was willing to work with the team to get to the other side of the rebuild. Which doesn't surprise me, he may be BSing, but given his leadership, he may also embrace the role of mentor to the kids the next few years.

"I'll do my best to be around and lead the right way and get this this team back on track as quick as possible," Sean Couturier said.

And then of course we have the idiots who want to dump him.
A healthy Couts is exactly who you want leading a young team.

Reactions: renberg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad