Miscellaneous NHL Discussion XCII: A buyer's or seller's market?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The trade deadline will be...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The Flyers going Fantilii over Michkov is a stone-cold lock. It's also what I would do, so i'm not criticizing.
At least we would know with 100% certainty that Bob Clarke is bullshitting when he says he/they wanted Michkov or just that he'd never utter those words so we don't have to deal with that.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
This spittle flecked quote yesterday from Arizona’s GM was pretty funny.

“It’s interesting because I was reading an article on how we buffooned this, the big saga, how we blew this and it just went on forever [….] It's hard to trade a player when he's coming off a season he was minus-20. He was terrible," Armstrong said. "And then you throw his injury history from before, and then you throw his injury history now, and he's out for eight months."

It’s hard to trade a -20 player. That’s beyond Chychrun. Oh, to be a shark of a manager in this league.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

It’s hard to trade a -20 player. That’s beyond Chychrun. Oh, to be a shark of a manager in this league.

Armstrong’s in the easy phase of a complete tear down rebuild. So that should be interesting when he’s actually held to a standard of putting a worthwhile product on the ice if that’s his type of mentality.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008

This isn’t about Armstrong, but some of these GMs tell you exactly how incompetent they are. People assume there must be more to the story and I truly do get it. They’re running billion dollar corporations. There must be some semblance of merit.

There is not. It’s a fiefdom run by the US equivalent of nobility. Membership transfers through generations. Through innumerable failures. There is never an end. They’re just shuttled down the totem pole or off to tv to annoy us for 3 decades.

Look at how often some tropes are repeated. “The best players play against everyone else’s best.” This is checkable by a nerd with rudimentary coding skills and a spare 8 minutes of time. It turns out almost everyone plays more against the best players because they’re on the ice the most. And the smart coaches hunt out the biggest mismatches for their best offensive players because we are sure that scoring a Goal is worth slightly more than preventing one. I do not use the word “sure” lightly.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Hockey is so far behind the other sports it's not even funny. You wouldn't even need to know hockey to clean up as a GM in this league. You'd just have to see through the cliche BS. These guys lack simple common sense and run the main branch of a multi million/billion dollar company.

Do you know how soccer does with these things? As a complete outsider, I would guess that the pool of players is so large and the method of transfer makes it much easier. But translating metrics and opinions across that many pro leagues is a nightmare.

I know Liverpool is heavy on data for example. But I don’t know if I hear about it because it’s unusual or just because they won often.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Hockey is so far behind the other sports it's not even funny. You wouldn't even need to know hockey to clean up as a GM in this league. You'd just have to see through the cliche BS. These guys lack simple common sense and run the main branch of a multi million/billion dollar company.
Coaching in Soccer is light years ahead too

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Do you know how soccer does with these things? As a complete outsider, I would guess that the pool of players is so large and the method of transfer makes it much easier. But translating metrics and opinions across that many pro leagues is a nightmare.

I know Liverpool is heavy on data for example. But I don’t know if I hear about it because it’s unusual or just because they won often.
Not my area of expertise, but there are a couple of small market clubs that do a good job of finding gems all the time. Obviously a development component involved too.

I know soccer has a lot more public individual metrics for players. GPS data. It's a bit more one on one than hockey. I can only imagine what they have behind the curtain is light years above what hockey has.

So when can we expect the tenure of GM FLYguy?
Me and Tulsky are a package deal.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Chychrun got about what he was worth, the plus/minus comment was silly, the injury prone was not - no one wants a great young player who'll command a lot of money but can't stay on the ice.
Games played:
68 / 82
50 / 82
53 / 82
63 / 70
56 / 56
47 / 82
43 / 69

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Thanks, totally forgot they changed the rules. Now I'll sleep peacefully.
What will happen though is that they'll miss, the Flyers will win too many games, and the Pens will end up winning the lottery and jumping them.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
4 goals in less than 5 games for Vrana with the Blues. Traded for an AHLer and 7th round pick. I know he has another year at $5.25MM, but risk-reward requires risk. If you have cap space and available usage *cough* that’s how you possibly create value out of nothing. It’s amazing how few “rebuilding” teams understand that concept.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
4 goals in less than 5 games for Vrana with the Blues. Traded for an AHLer and 7th round pick. I know he has another year at $5.25MM, but risk-reward requires risk. If you have cap space and available usage *cough* that’s how you possibly create value out of nothing. It’s amazing how few “rebuilding” teams understand that concept.
Detroit retained 50% so it's only $2.625 mil

Would've been great to take a flier on him if they were actually searching for high end talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad