Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: "The March is On" edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just look at Sanheim.

He hasn't been ruined and he's still extremely good, but look at the difference in how he plays when he's "let loose" when down a goal vs normal, where he's more careful and reserved. Especially because he's not used on the PP and spent years on the 3rd pair being benched any time he made a mistake.

He's a Ferrari being used like a pickup truck thanks to incompetent coaches.

Or look at Ghost. He gets PP time but look at how often he's been screwed over in his career by being underused/demoted/scratched, when guys like Provorov are completely bulletproof while playing worse.

It massively limits their play and impact on games.

Imagine both of these guys if they were brought up by coaches who believed in them, trusted them, and gave them a little more carrot than stick.

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Philadelphia Flyers Career Leaders

Team Name: Philadelphia Flyers
Seasons: 53 (1967-68 to 2020-21)
NHL Playoff Appearances: 40
NHL Championships: 2 (2 Stanley Cups)
Playoff Record: 231-218
Record (W-L-T-OTL): 2067-1438-457-178 (4769 points)
All-time Goals Leader: Bill Barber, 420
All-time Points Leader: Bobby Clarke, 1210
Most Goals, Season: Reggie Leach (1975-76), 61
Most Points, Season: Mark Recchi (1992-93), 123

Reactions: FlyersFan

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
So the Sabres fans are going to be very disappointed when they trade Eichel I see. I get he’s a franchise player and all but it’s very simple. You’re trading the best player in any deal by a large margin, you most likely aren’t going to get that type of value back. You have to hope the prospects/picks you get materialize into productive players.

Seguin and Hall were both traded early in their careers (Eichel is better I know) but if history tells us anything....

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

This has to be a yes, right? Defensemen can be neutered as a strategy or developmental tactic. Even 4th Liners are expected to score some by most coaches.

Everything about Defenseman evaluation and development is more prone to being undermined by tropes.

I think it's simple, you can shelter forwards while they learn on the job, there's no place to hide for most defensemen - at best you can hide a defensively challenged offensive defenseman on the 3rd pair/PP. But that's one of six. And on the road, opposing HCs will target that player.

So bringing up a defensemen too fast can kill their confidence when they make too many mistakes that end up in their goal.
Which is why a lot of defensemen are marinated in the AHL for a few years, let them make those mistakes in a low pressure situation until playing proper defense is second nature - especially the ones that can't outskate their mistakes.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I remember hating the Sabres when I first got into hockey because of how damn good they were (06 playoffs and the 9-1 loss in Oct 06 didn't help). Seems like forever ago
I still hate them so I’m solid. They had so many slimy rats for so many years. And then when the salary cap was implemented it was ‘here’s how you build a team’ and they were good for 2 years

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
I still hate them so I’m solid. They had so many slimy rats for so many years. And then when the salary cap was implemented it was ‘here’s how you build a team’ and they were good for 2 years
The 90s/early 2000s Sabres may have been my least favorite iteration of any team ever. I had tears of joy when they lost to the Stars on a technically blown call.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The 90s/early 2000s Sabres may have been my least favorite iteration of any team ever. I had tears of joy when they lost to the Stars on a technically blown call.
They’re mine too, I’m glad we never had an Avalanche/Sabres final but I did have to suffer through an Avalanche/Devils final. I have no love lost there, I’ll still favor the Penguins over the stupid Sabres. Someone I used to see at flyers games about 12 years ago couldn’t grasp that i hated the Sabres more than any other rival.

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Yep. Earliest memories were hating the sabres. The early 2000s series were my first time really knowing what hockey/the flyers were. Then 06 and we had a buddy who moved here from buffalo. Dark days. They were the Pens of yester-year for me. Ottawa to a lesser degree as well.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Just look at Sanheim.

He hasn't been ruined and he's still extremely good, but look at the difference in how he plays when he's "let loose" when down a goal vs normal, where he's more careful and reserved. Especially because he's not used on the PP and spent years on the 3rd pair being benched any time he made a mistake.

He's a Ferrari being used like a pickup truck thanks to incompetent coaches.

Or look at Ghost. He gets PP time but look at how often he's been screwed over in his career by being underused/demoted/scratched, when guys like Provorov are completely bulletproof while playing worse.

It massively limits their play and impact on games.

Imagine both of these guys if they were brought up by coaches who believed in them, trusted them, and gave them a little more carrot than stick.

I really don’t get it. He is flat out dangerous when they let him go. He could probably cut all the way to the net on a lot of plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad