Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXIX: More impactful than an REM pop song

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
It's just funny because good teams are deep enough to overcome (to some magnitude) injuries

If anything the injuries on this team are yet another way the front office is being exposed as incompetent
Particularly since the plan for this season entailed, "Well, the injuries can't be as bad as they were last season!" Couturier and Hayes were the big offseason "additions". And my sympathy for the FO over injuries has dimmed to near zero because of how dishonest they have been with them.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Karlsson already has 3 assists tonight. I believe he's 5th in the NHL in primary points, 2nd in points, 7th in goals, while being +6% in relxGF% and having 13 more points than anyone on the Sharks. That is just mind boggling.

I miss this Erik Karlsson -- pretty please sustain this to some degree. For as much as I think Makar will have the more consistent career for several reasons, Karlsson's peaks are something else. Never seen a guy do less with more over his career.
I never thought he'd get back to this kind of level after his horrible ankle injuries. Hopefully Couturier can eventually return to something close to his best, but a bad back is even worse than a bad foot.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
First contract, enough money to be set up for life ($8M x.6 is about $5M after agent fees and taxes).
If you turn out to be good, second contract is enough money to be a filthy rich asshole.
If not, you're still going to be comfortable, floating in your swimming pool, sucking on a cold one.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Particularly since the plan for this season entailed, "Well, the injuries can't be as bad as they were last season!" Couturier and Hayes were the big offseason "additions". And my sympathy for the FO over injuries has dimmed to near zero because of how dishonest they have been with them.
Since when? Not since Torts was hired. Maybe in January when Scott was still talking about an "aggressive reload."

I don't think they've been dishonest about injuries, Ellis has been a mystery, Atkinson was probably waiting to see if the shoulder responded to treatment, Couts came as a shock to the team. Anyone who has dealt with doctors know medical opinions are often ambiguous, "he may improve."

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Since when? Not since Torts was hired. Maybe in January when Scott was still talking about an "aggressive reload."

I don't think they've been dishonest about injuries, Ellis has been a mystery, Atkinson was probably waiting to see if the shoulder responded to treatment, Couts came as a shock to the team. Anyone who has dealt with doctors know medical opinions are often ambiguous, "he may improve."

They have not behaved any differently since Tortorella was hired. It's all the same as always.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

I appreciate your reply, dead. Fletcher was speaking in pretty hopeful terms for both Ellis and Couturier in his May 3 press conference, and the "aggressive reload" was being touted as a soup-to-nuts mix of prospect development, drafting, and addition of talent. Atkinson was still day to day on October 12.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As soon as they hired Torts, any hint of an aggressive retool vanished.
Because the contradiction in previous statements was resolved:

“Certainly part of it is we have to get younger. We have to get more talented. We have to get faster. And then we have to aggressively look at trades, free agency: Can we add a couple players to supplement what we have here and make this team better?”

Torts approach is the opposite, addition by subtraction. Basically audition the entire team, starting with the veterans and ending the season with prospects, to determine who to keep - and thus who to dump. Then you start rebuilding the team.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
As soon as they hired Torts, any hint of an aggressive retool vanished.
Because the contradiction in previous statements was resolved:

“Certainly part of it is we have to get younger. We have to get more talented. We have to get faster. And then we have to aggressively look at trades, free agency: Can we add a couple players to supplement what we have here and make this team better?”

Torts approach is the opposite, addition by subtraction. Basically audition the entire team, starting with the veterans and ending the season with prospects, to determine who to keep - and thus who to dump. Then you start rebuilding the team.

Why do you keep making stuff up?

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
3o6Zt4wrPvPuKnhm24.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why do you keep making stuff up?
Because it's what he said and what he's done:

“I know it’s very aggressive thinking out here, in wanting to get back into it,” Tortorella said. “I feel that around me. But I think … I guess the way I’ll put it to you: If you want to win, and you want to be that team on the rails again, and a competitive Philadelphia Flyer organization, we need to build from within. I guess that’s the best way for me to put it. And that takes time.”

“I’m still trying to figure out who’s who. Who we want to keep here who’s not going to be a part of it” in the long run.”

“We’re still inexperienced – who’s settling things down? Who’s making the big play? That’s leadership, and it’s lacking. As we build this team that’s what we have to figure out.”

“I’m excited about a lot of things but there are things that cant be part of this if we want to go forward.”

“I’m going to tell them what we’re looking for, we’re going to push to that level, and if some people aren’t ready to get there, or maybe there’s some stubbornness about getting there, Then we’ll see someone else.”

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Because it's what he said and what he's done:

“I know it’s very aggressive thinking out here, in wanting to get back into it,” Tortorella said. “I feel that around me. But I think … I guess the way I’ll put it to you: If you want to win, and you want to be that team on the rails again, and a competitive Philadelphia Flyer organization, we need to build from within. I guess that’s the best way for me to put it. And that takes time.”

“I’m still trying to figure out who’s who. Who we want to keep here who’s not going to be a part of it” in the long run.”

“We’re still inexperienced – who’s settling things down? Who’s making the big play? That’s leadership, and it’s lacking. As we build this team that’s what we have to figure out.”

“I’m excited about a lot of things but there are things that cant be part of this if we want to go forward.”

“I’m going to tell them what we’re looking for, we’re going to push to that level, and if some people aren’t ready to get there, or maybe there’s some stubbornness about getting there, Then we’ll see someone else.”

It's not what he's done. All those manifestos you wrote about all the things he would do were wrong.

Or do you think he really needs to figure out if a bunch of fringe players near or over 30 are "long -term" pieces? That would be pretty stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad