NHL Talk Miscellaneous NHL Discussion CIX: Processing a Tremendous Amount of Insane Information

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
Tippett had two RFA seasons left, so add in his 2 RFA seasons already played, and you get $5.2M for ten years v $7.5M for 8 years, in both cases, including 4 RFA seasons.

That's why you just can't compare contracts in a vacuum, big difference between player entering his UFA season negotiating an extension and a player with multiple RFA seasons left.
Exactly what point are you trying to make here? You're moving goal posts to win an arguement against yourself about which contract Is better? One makes 6.25, the other makes 7.5, previous contracts mean absolutely f*** all lol

One is a better overall player than the other, that's the difference

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I’m rounding a bit here, but there are roughly two Popes per square kilometer in the Vatican.
1526876760066.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Exactly what point are you trying to make here? You're moving goal posts to win an arguement against yourself about which contract Is better? One makes 6.25, the other makes 7.5, previous contracts mean absolutely f*** all lol

One is a better overall player than the other, that's the difference
My point was if you want to determine if a contract is "reasonable," you have to look at the context.

So Jarvis got $7.5M, which would be a bargain if he was a free agent, but with 4 RFA seasons left, no so much.

Same way Tippett got $6.2M with 2 RFA seasons left, so Flyers got 2 RFA seasons for a total of $3M.

So the comparison isn't $7.5M to $6.2M, but to $5.2M, the cost to the Flyers including the 2 RFA seasons they got at a bargain. Both teams are buying out 4 RFA seasons, Flyers just bought 2 early.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Talking about Tippett as if he was a 55 goal scorer is weird when it took him 155 games to get there.

I like the player and never minded the Giroux trade, but he hasn't shown anything close to elite impact on the ice yet.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
My point was if you want to determine if a contract is "reasonable," you have to look at the context.

So Jarvis got $7.5M, which would be a bargain if he was a free agent, but with 4 RFA seasons left, no so much.

Same way Tippett got $6.2M with 2 RFA seasons left, so Flyers got 2 RFA seasons for a total of $3M.

So the comparison isn't $7.5M to $6.2M, but to $5.2M, the cost to the Flyers including the 2 RFA seasons they got at a bargain. Both teams are buying out 4 RFA seasons, Flyers just bought 2 early.
No, the comparison is what they signed for. Trying to rationalize it any other way just tries to complicate a simple process. Yes, the comparison is 7.5 to 6.2 as that is all that matters at the end of the day.

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Eh, they might have been 5th or 6th worst with Krug. Not worst in the league.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Draisaitl will be 30-37 over the life of the deal.
Even with the cap hitting $100M in 4 years, that's still 14% of your cap.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Talking about Tippett as if he was a 55 goal scorer is weird when it took him 155 games to get there.

I like the player and never minded the Giroux trade, but he hasn't shown anything close to elite impact on the ice yet.

I don't know if this line of discussion has been a function of needing to defend everything management does to an extreme, or a function of management building such a shitty group of talent since 2018 that it makes basic top-6 level players stand out too much.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

One of a couple sites that appear to be reporting on this; the original is apparently from a Francophone podcast.

The deal, as reported here, was Laine for Johansen's contract even up, with CBJ planning to put RyJo on LTIR.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com

One of a couple sites that appear to be reporting on this; the original is apparently from a Francophone podcast.

The deal, as reported here, was Laine for Johansen's contract even up, with CBJ planning to put RyJo on LTIR.
Thanks. I hadn’t seen that. Like Curu posted above, I don’t know where the cap space for this would come from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad