NHL Talk Miscellaneous NHL Discussion CIX: Processing a Tremendous Amount of Insane Information

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I don't know if it got out through him, or people on his group chat, but how is this not some sort of HIPAA violation either way?

The original screenshot includes the ME showing 8+ people in a group text. The person who shared the image is different as designated by the coloring of the messages. But yeah, that guy's borked. He's the one with professional responsibilities.

Last edited:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
What did this guy say? I don’t have twitter.
He deleted the tweet but this was his tweet.
F4F5BBDF-CB71-4479-A20F-EE519666AE26.jpeg

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What did this guy say? I don’t have twitter.

I think in the early going when the rumors started flying about this he posted he could confirm it. My guess is he had no idea of that actually & was just trying to look like he knew.

He’s like a teenage kid from western Canada. He’s shown on twitter before to be pretty desperate to break into that business. He agreed to write for The Hockey News website in a non-paying capacity & then made a post on twitter being dumbfounded that they weren’t paying him. So I don’t think he’s too bright.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I think in the early going when the rumors started flying about this he posted he could confirm it. My guess is he had no idea of that actually & was just trying to look like he knew.

He’s like a teenage kid from western Canada. He’s shown on twitter before to be pretty desperate to break into that business. He agreed to write for The Hockey News website in a non-paying capacity & then made a post on twitter being dumbfounded that they weren’t paying him. So I don’t think he’s too bright.
he also reported that Michkov was gonna sign his ELC like two weeks after he signed it. Citing his "sources"

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I never want to hear about tax free states ever again

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Still a $7.5M cap hit, eating 3? RFA seasons.
Gamble that last season's step up is sustainable.
2.11 pp/60 (5x5), last season 64th among forwards. Good two way forward. Finished 8th in Selke.

I'd say it's a fair deal, wouldn't call it a bargain.

Reactions: Devonator

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Still a $7.5M cap hit, eating 3? RFA seasons.
Gamble that last season's step up is sustainable.
2.11 pp/60 (5x5), last season 64th among forwards. Good two way forward. Finished 8th in Selke.

I'd say it's a fair deal, wouldn't call it a bargain.

The guy just turned 22 in Feb

His yr 3 season mostly as a 21 yr old

33 goals
34 assists
67 pts
+23
9 GWG

I would say it's more than reasonable to think that was a kid establishing himself as a top forward and not much of a gamble on sustainability

Top notch defense on top of his offense (8th in Selke voting as you noted)

Locking 22 yr old kid in for 8 years at $7.5M to be one of the faces of franchise going forward is a great deal

Also, his prime years of career are covered in this extension

Given age of D the next 4 years is likely the window for Canes to really push for cup

They have trio clearly as faces of franchise

Aho (27 yrs old) - 4 years ($9.75M)
Svechnikov (24 yrs old) - 4 years ($7.75M)
Jarvis (22 yrs old) - 8 years ($7.5M)

Really question is getting consistent top goaltending.

I like Kochetkov and think it is time to let him run as the undisputed #1 (60-65 games not this 1A/1B sharing situation)

One thing that is interesting is how heavily they have drafted European goalies netminders in recent years

5th round - G Ruslan Khazheyev (Russia)
7th round - G Yegor Velmakin (Russia)

6th round - G Jakub Vondras (Czech)

3rd round - G Patrik Hamrla (Czech)
6th round - G Nikita Quapp (Germany)
7th round - G Yegor Naumov (Russia)

2nd round - Pyotr Kochetkov (Russia)

7th round - Jacob Kucharski (USA)

4th round - Eetu Makiniemi (Finland) = You guys just signed him as FA

I get the appeal of Russians because you hold rights indef at this point so if you draft a bunch and hit you potentially have diamond if you can bring them over

I actually like strategy of using later round picks on netminders to have flow of potential deeper in system especially drafting Russian. Of course, the likelihood of them panning out is not great but still more lotto tickets and you never know with goalies at draft

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Jarvis has four RFA seasons - always easier to sign these guys long-term.
The danger is that last season could be a breakout or an anomaly.

Tippett is signed to $6.2M AVV at 25, coming off 27 and 28 goal seasons.
Given his size and speed, he should remain near his peak through the contract (i.e. fastest time recorded by edge last season).

I wouldn't say Jarvis was a bargain compared to Tippett.

Jarvis is the better player, but not sure he has more remaining upside, as Tippett is a late bloomer whose elite physical skills exceed his playing ability right now.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BringBackHakstol

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Jarvis played on the top unit on the best penalty killing team in the league at 21 years old. He also played on the Canes first powerplay unit which was second in the league last season. At even strength he spent most of his time with Aho and various wingers (Bunting, Teravainen, Guentzel), but he also spent a pretty significant chunk of time with Staal and Martinook. Again, he did this all at 21 (he turned 22 in February) with basically one shoulder (he tore his labrum/rotator cuff early in the season), and then put up 9 points in 11 playoff games dealing with that and a broken finger in the first round.

His cap hit is fantastic if he doesn't improve at all, and if he does it's a f***ing steal. As a Canes fan I could not be happier with this deal.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Given his size and speed, he should remain near his peak through the contract (i.e. fastest time recorded by edge last season).

Jarvis is the better player, but not sure he has more remaining upside, as Tippett is a late bloomer whose elite physical skills exceed his playing ability right now.
interesting.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Lol no

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Jarvis played on the top unit on the best penalty killing team in the league at 21 years old. He also played on the Canes first powerplay unit which was second in the league last season. At even strength he spent most of his time with Aho and various wingers (Bunting, Teravainen, Guentzel), but he also spent a pretty significant chunk of time with Staal and Martinook. Again, he did this all at 21 (he turned 22 in February) with basically one shoulder (he tore his labrum/rotator cuff early in the season), and then put up 9 points in 11 playoff games dealing with that and a broken finger in the first round.

His cap hit is fantastic if he doesn't improve at all, and if he does it's a f***ing steal. As a Canes fan I could not be happier with this deal.

Sure sure, but how does he stack up against late-developing relies-on-his-physical-tools wunderkind Owen Tippett?

• Wow
Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tippett is 6'1 210, an elite skater speed and burst wise who has pretty good edge work (one of the best Flyers entering the O-zone). High motor and stamina.

He has average hockey IQ, is a decent passer but not an instinctive playmaker.
Has been effective playing both LW and RW, so he provides some line flexibility.
He's got close to elite velocity on his shot, needs to work on accuracy, and setting up goaltenders.

His contract is very reasonable given his age and production.

Reactions: Devonator

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Tippett is 6'1 210, an elite skater speed and burst wise who has pretty good edge work (one of the best Flyers entering the O-zone). High motor and stamina.

He has average hockey IQ, is a decent passer but not an instinctive playmaker.
Has been effective playing both LW and RW, so he provides some line flexibility.
He's got close to elite velocity on his shot, needs to work on accuracy, and setting up goaltenders.

His contract is very reasonable given his age and production.
All these elite skills the Flyers got a bargain.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008

I have waited so long for this.

Defense matters too and Jarvis is fantastic while Tippett is below average. What is it with this board and their obsession with only one side of the ice? You can't just keep the puck forever.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I have waited so long for this.

Defense matters too and Jarvis is fantastic while Tippett is below average. What is it with this board and their obsession with only one side of the ice? You can't just keep the puck forever.
Jarvis is the better player, but his $7.5M cap hit with 4 RFA years remaining, is more like $9M for the 4 UFA seasons and $6M for the 4 RFA seasons (i.e. team averages in overpaying RFA seasons and underpaying UFA seasons).

That is, both players are being paid commiserate with their production and their contract status, to compare apples to apples, you'd have to average in Tippett's RFA pay from 23-24. In which case the ten year average becomes $5.2M compared to $7.5M.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad