Mirtle: End is near for Hyman in Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
The 180 on Hyman on the boards, wow.

if/when he re signs with us they'll be another 180 with people singing his praises and calling what ever he signs for a discount if not an outright steal

Ya, its amazing how people's opinions change so drastically. Most loved the guy a few weeks ago, now he's a seriously flawed player and folks are saying good riddance. This is Olympic level back flips and a good demonstration of how fickle some can be.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
True leaders aren’t sheep. If he’s bitter over another man making more money then he’s just as guilty of being greedy.

Why did Spezza take <1m again? As far as I’m concerned, what Hyman is doing is just as worthy of criticism as the big ticket guys. He is chasing an albatross contract that far exceeds his value.
Spezza is taking less than a million because he made a sh** ton over his career and is set for life with nothing to worry about except pursuing his dream of a cup. Hyman has yet to get his big payday..... this is one chance. Who knows how much longer his body will hold up. Read the Avery article about how much the nhlpa, taxes and agents take from players, the lower guys aren't making as much as you think.

If my company had a salary cap and the big guys took as much as they could in their negotiations.. I certainly wouldn't be taking any sort of a discount to stay. I'm not gonna take money from my pocket.... and give it to them, so we can remain competitive.

McDavid... could easily have taken more, he could've taken a shorter deal too.... Pastrnak is making 6.66.. where is the last RFA player to hold their team over a barrel like Nylander,Marner and Matthews? Marner makes more than Eichel and for 2 years less. We're fortunate McDavid took the deal he did... otherwise I'm sure Matthews I'm sure would've been wanting more too.

What angers me most is both him and Matthews didn't want to sign their contracts for 8 years.... no no... they could get EVEN MORE if the salary cup goes up. They were looking for a sweet spot where they maximize their earnings... and certainly would unlikely to ever be on team friendly deals in which the team could build a really competitive team.

Last edited:

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Ya, its amazing how people's opinions change so drastically. Most loved the guy a few weeks ago, now he's a seriously flawed player and folks are saying good riddance. This is Olympic level back flips and a good demonstration of how fickle some can be.
If you think that's impressive, wait until he resigns with the Leafs.

30 days ago : He loves Toronto, He's taking a Hometown Discount, His Family is Rich
Current: He doesn't show up in the playoffs, He's Breaking Down, Dubas is smart to pass
30 days from now: Great to have Hyman back, he's totally worth $5, Dubas is the best.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
If you think that's impressive, wait until he resigns with the Leafs.

30 days ago : He loves Toronto, He's taking a Hometown Discount, His Family is Rich
Current: He doesn't show up in the playoffs, He's Breaking Down, Dubas is smart to pass
30 days from now: Great to have Hyman back, he's totally worth $5, Dubas is the best.
if Dubas can sign Hyman for 5 dollars, who wouldn't like that?

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Spezza is taking less than a million because he made a sh** ton over his career and is set for life with nothing to worry about except pursuing his dream of a cup. Hyman has yet to get his big payday..... this is one chance. Who knows how much longer his body will hold up. Read the Avery article about how much the nhlpa, taxes and agents take from players, the lower guys aren't making as much as you think.
Hyman’s family is filthy rich to the point they have generational wealth beyond what Spezza’s entire career earnings amount to. I have close friends who’s family are his direct neighbours and believe me, if Hyman never made a dime off of his businesses or NHL salary, he’d still be in the 1%.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
some fans have to back the team in all situations , so what they think of him and what's he's worth is dependent on where he signs

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hyman plays on the #1 line with Matthews and Marner and does most of the heavy lifting for the trio.

Leafs already have a black hole on the 2nd line with Mikheyev and his limited offense and goal scoring.

If you let Hyman walk with the goal to replace him at par $2.25 mil or less by bargain bin shopping, then your looking for a player capable of playing on your top line, big minutes and able to score 20+ goals and do a lot of the heavy lifting while facing the opposition best defenders (F and D) out there because of Matthews.

That is a pretty big hole and ask for limited cap spending willingness to fill.

Pretty soon your top 4 is really going to be your entire offense, if your LWers in those top 6 are Mikheyev and XXXX (Hyman replacement).

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
I think it's because we think what Hyman does is so unique...that its worth a boatload of money. Hyman is good at his job but there are a lot of players that can do most of what he does for a lot less...we just think he is super special because compared to the comatose forwards we have..he looks like the tazmanian devil.
So then other teams won't be giving him 5/6 mil, right?! All these reports from "media" saying he will get paid more then the camparables

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Hyman’s family is filthy rich to the point they have generational wealth beyond what Spezza’s entire career earnings amount to. I have close friends who’s family are his direct neighbours and believe me, if Hyman never made a dime off of his businesses or NHL salary, he’d still be in the 1%.
So what? Another strawman.

Reactions: rumman

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

I've got some news for you, the board has done a 180 on just about every player on the team outside of Spezza. Hyman is not special.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I think you resign Galchenyuk and put him on the line with Tavares and Willy. That line looked good for long stretches. As for the Matthews line, I was never that thrilled with Hyman on it, I thought Hyman was better on the HEM line and made more of a team contribution there. I don't think either Mikheyev or Simmonds are really worthy of consideration, but any cap space they might be able to generate might be better spent elsewhere, so they may have to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: myleafs

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I don’t think you understand what strawman means. If Marner’s family had that sort of wealth the narrative would be even more toxic around here but because it’s worker bee Hyman it’s irrelevant?

Money is not a concern for him or his family, yet he is pursuing a contract that will have the same anchor impact on the cap wherever he signs. I like the player, want him back, but he’s no different than the others in terms of greed. That same wealth is the only reason he’s made the NHL through the GTA system.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Even more reason to believe his family wouldn't want him to bend over and take less than he is worth. They are business people. It's more the principle of it than anything.

Reactions: LeafsRus and rumman

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I've got some news for you, the board has done a 180 on just about every player on the team outside of Spezza. Hyman is not special.
That's not "news" to me. This happens to be the Hyman thread, but yes I would agree that this is not a phenomena that's specific to Hyman.

I would make these two other observations though:

a) Two (or multiple) wrongs don't make a right. This tendency is not something to be proud about I'd think.
b) You can't really generalize by saying "the board". The board is not that homogeneous and people don't have just one opinion on a given topic.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Hyman plays on the #1 line with Matthews and Marner and does most of the heavy lifting for the trio.

Leafs already have a black hole on the 2nd line with Mikheyev and his limited offense and goal scoring.

If you let Hyman walk with the goal to replace him at par $2.25 mil or less by bargain bin shopping, then your looking for a player capable of playing on your top line, big minutes and able to score 20+ goals and do a lot of the heavy lifting while facing the opposition best defenders (F and D) out there because of Matthews.

That is a pretty big hole and ask for limited cap spending willingness to fill.

Pretty soon your top 4 is really going to be your entire offense, if your LWers in those top 6 are Mikheyev and XXXX (Hyman replacement).
So what would you pay Hyman?

myleafs

May 25, 2021
He locked up a core for too much money and now he needs to shed at least one of them.
He has tried to add grit in the form of a broken down Wayne Simmonds.
He has found some players to sign "good deals" because they had no other options (aside from Spezza I suppose) but what good players, has he signed to good deals ? (maybe Muzzin)
The 3rd point I agree with, and that's why I don't trust him to replace the "core" players.
I really like his Brodie Signing, Bogo.............that's all I got.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

He was responding to the poster that said Hyman's motives are based on needing to get all the money he can right now to be set for life. I don't see that as a strawman. It's completely apt and exactly what I thought when I read that as well. He really doesn't need the money.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
You don't think Kerfoot is overpaid by about a million? He is a 30pt guy...not worth much more than 2.5M in my books. He also played quite a bit with JT and Willy...so he should have more points. His 1 or 2 ok playoff games does not make up for his bad cap hit. Dubas keeps trying to project on these guys by paying a bit more now thinking they will be deals later. The only one that it worked out on is Willy....and he is playing around what a 7m guy should be doing.
Not for nothing but Kerfoot is a 40 pt guy and his stats show that. Not that I am the biggest fan but he showed up these playoffs and gave what he had. No need to downplay his actual accomplishments.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I don’t think you understand what strawman means. If Marner’s family had that sort of wealth the narrative would be even more toxic around here but because it’s worker bee Hyman it’s irrelevant?

Money is not a concern for him or his family, yet he is pursuing a contract that will have the same anchor impact on the cap wherever he signs. I like the player, want him back, but he’s no different than the others in terms of greed. That same wealth is the only reason he’s made the NHL through the GTA system.
Is his family giving him anything ? Or maybe they said make it on your own , which he can do for cheaper but like with comrie just cuz their parents are rich doesn't mean you can shortchange them be it respect for what they have done or trying to make it on their own as an adult . (obv with help most kids get growing up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad