Minnesota Wild General Discussion 2024-25

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Obviously we don't know right now how other rosters are going to fully shake out, but how would you all rank the Central teams next season?

Not in any order, jut the tiers.

Top-3: (Playoffs)
DAL
COL
NSH

Mushy middle: (could be WC or could be a bottom feeder)
WIN
UT
MN

Bottom:
CHI (they'll be better than last year)

I have no clue where to put STL. I just don't care enough to pay attention to them.

I still think the West is top heavy and the WC is wide open.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Happy Anniversary!!!!

images

It's time to start discussing the elephant in the room. Now that we're down to their final season here, how badly will Guerin mess up their extensions? Has he contacted their agents yet?!

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Guerin wouldn't dare move one of his guys. We gotta keep the grit! Why move Gaudreau when you can move a Gus or Rossi? Besides, moving Gaudreau would be admitting that he made a mistake with that contract, and his ego wouldn't be able to handle it.
And, with the help of Odin, Freddy may actually score 6 goals next season!

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Not sure it's that far off either. Pastrnak got 11.25, Nylander got 11.5.

Pettersson just got 11.6 as a center, MacKinnon just got 12.6 as the second best player in the world (and a center).

Think market value for a player like Kaprizov should be between 11 and 12. But we'll see what Marner gets, that could change things a little.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
So I guess Guerin is done.

Opening night lines...

Kaprizov - Hartman - Zuccarello
Johansson - Eriksson Ek - Boldy
Trenin - Rossi - Foligno
Ohgren - Khusnutdinov - Gaudreau

Brodin-Faber
Middleton-Spurgeon
Chisholm-Bogosian

Gustavsson

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
So I guess Guerin is done.

Opening night lines...

Kaprizov - Hartman - Zuccarello
Johansson - Eriksson Ek - Boldy
Trenin - Rossi - Foligno
Ohgren - Khusnutdinov - Gaudreau

Brodin-Faber
Middleton-Spurgeon
Chisholm-Bogosian

Gustavsson
Kaprizov-Eriksson Ek-Boldy
Ohgren-Rossi-Zucc
Trenin-Hartman-Foligno
Johansson-Khusnutdinov-Lauko
Gaudreau

Brodin-Faber
Middleton-Spurgeon
Chisholm-Bogosian
Merrill

Gus
Wallstedt
Fleury

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Kap/JEE/Zucc
Boldy/Rossi/Foligno
Ohgren/Hartman/Trenin
Lauko/R. Johnson/12th FWD decided in camp.

I'm going with a big/physical bottom-6.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
What are the chances of Ohgren and Khusnutdinov making the team out of camp?
80%. Unlikely that we see further NHL signings and they each have the inside track depending on camp performances. Ohgren is likely a middle 6 wing and maybe an under the radar pick for production as he could see lots of opportunity. Khusnutdinov is more likely battling between 3C, 4C and I think his leash might be a bit shorter for ice time.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Battling for the 12th FWD spot or in the pressbox. The same goes for Freddy G.

I can't say that any of MarJo, Freddy G, Ohgren, or Marat K are better that any of the expensive 2-way FWDs the team signed this offseason. I have Ohgren penciled into a spot because he only had a couple of games last year. The others had a good sample size and were all somewhere between unimpressive to disappointing. Things will change during training camp. I just want the best players to get roster spots, not the coach's or GM's pets getting put in the roster.

The d-corps is pretty much set. One of the AHL d-men needs to be better than both Chisholm and Merrill to push one of them on to waivers.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Can we waive Johansson and/or Gaudreau for cap relief?

Yes and no.
-Waive a player and the get claimed it opens the full cap hit.
-Waive a player to the AHL, and just carry an open roster spot, then you open up $1.15m.
-Waive a player to the AHL and you replace them with a league min player, then you save at most $375k in cap.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Can we waive Johansson and/or Gaudreau for cap relief?
CBA says we could, but relief is limited. Each of their contracts would still be on the books, but just subtracting 1,150,000 each for a relief total of 2.3m (relief) and 1.8m on the books. Not pocket change but I doubt Guerin would do it.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yes and no.
-Waive a player and the get claimed it opens the full cap hit.
-Waive a player to the AHL, and just carry an open roster spot, then you open up $1.15m.
-Waive a player to the AHL and you replace them with a league min player, then you save at most $375k in cap.
CBA says we could, but relief is limited. Each of their contracts would still be on the books, but just subtracting 1,150,000 each for a relief total of 2.3m (relief) and 1.8m on the books. Not pocket change but I doubt Guerin would do it.
I’ve seen talk of buying Gaudreau out. Wouldn’t it just make sense to bury him in the AHL instead?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I’ve seen talk of buying Gaudreau out. Wouldn’t it just make sense to bury him in the AHL instead?

Remember this is the GM that likes long term dead cap that actually costs more than it saves.

Yes, it would be better to waive to the AHL Freddy G than a buyout. I don't see any team claiming him with 4 years left on his contract.

A weird CBA quirk is Freddy G would take home more money by being sent to in the AHL compared to the NHL. He wouldn't be a NHL player at that point so his contract wouldn't be subject to the NHL escrow.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Remember this is the GM that likes long term dead cap that actually costs more than it saves.

Yes, it would be better to waive to the AHL Freddy G than a buyout. I don't see any team claiming him with 4 years left on his contract.

A weird CBA quirk is Freddy G would take home more money by being sent to in the AHL compared to the NHL. He wouldn't be a NHL player at that point so his contract wouldn't be subject to the NHL escrow.
Look at that, everybody wins!

P10p

May 15, 2012
Listening to the latest Lapanta and Russo pod today and they were talking about how people say what ever they want about prospects/players and years down the line when they are completely wrong no one is ever called out. Got me thinking about Kaprizov before he came over and the previous threads about him on the main board are a gold mine of super opinionated people being flat out wrong. Its a good chuckle just wanted to share lol.

One of my favorites is a poster saying Kaprizov will be a average/disappointing play because he can't carry play himself and will be very reliant on his center. Went on to say Gusev is the superior player in almost every aspect :laugh:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i'd like to think i was one of if not the first wild fan to amp kaprizov. i was jacked we picked him in the 5th and said something like he was a lotto ticket then after his D1 i bought a wild jersey with kaprizov on the back (no #) black Friday nov 16. cory pronman was really excited about kaprizov and i jumped on the bandwagon immediately. i've said before YUROV is the most amped i've been about a prospect since kaprizov. now zeev was a no brainer pick imo.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
after this year we must do something with johanssen & gaudreau to make roster spots available. i would have hoped this season but yurov isn't coming. i personally hope heidt is on the roster this year.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Listening to the latest Lapanta and Russo pod today and they were talking about how people say what ever they want about prospects/players and years down the line when they are completely wrong no one is ever called out.

No one is ever called out because all the talking heads would have to be called out. If the wrong comments were pointed out then they all would lose their credibility.

P10p

May 15, 2012
No one is ever called out because all the talking heads would have to be called out. If the wrong comments were pointed out then they all would lose their credibility.

Well that's what the main gripe was. People "in the know" can make super opinionated statements as if its factual when really nobody knows. And they know nothing will be said when they are wrong. Kinda funny like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad