Minnesota Wild General Discussion 2024-25

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Also a factor in it. The hope is that Guerin doesn't think his job security is tied to Kaprizov, and that trading Kaprizov for a good return could also allow him to keep the job.

In order of most to least job security, you'd think it would look like

1) Sign Kaprizov
2) Trade Kaprizov for a good return
3) Trade Kaprizov for a bad return
4) Let him walk for nothing

I think the only thing Wild fans would hate more than trading Kaprizov is watching Gaborik 2.0 unfold. That means he's 100% fired. Trading him for something might only mean 50-75% chance at getting fired.

Trade Kap and it's 2 straight years of missing the Playoffs. Before that was 3 years of 1st round exits, and a Playin loss (not sure if the owner would count that as a Playoffs or missed Playoffs). There shouldn't be any way a GM keeps his job after that.

If you can't build a team with one of the top players in the world, then there is no reason to believe you can build a team after losing that player. The lack or re-signing is probably in large part because of the lack of a good on-ice team.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Trade Kap and it's 2 straight years of missing the Playoffs. Before that was 3 years of 1st round exits, and a Playin loss (not sure if the owner would count that as a Playoffs or missed Playoffs). There shouldn't be any way a GM keeps his job after that.

If you can't build a team with one of the top players in the world, then there is no reason to believe you can build a team after losing that player. The lack or re-signing is probably in large part because of the lack of a good on-ice team.

I'm not saying Guerin should keep his job if trades Kaprizov. Guerin should be gone yesterday, before he can even make that decision. I'm saying the hope is that Guerin thinks he can still keep his job if he trades Kaprizov, because the alternative (if Kaprizov won't extend) is that we lose him for nothing. For our sake, I want Guerin to be willing to trade Kaprizov, because losing him for nothing will be worse.

Guerin is as good as gone regardless of whether he trades Kaprizov or Kaprizov walks. My hope is that Guerin thinks there's a chance he keeps his job if he trades him (again, assuming Kaprizov won't sign).

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm not saying Guerin should keep his job if trades Kaprizov. I'm saying the hope is that Guerin thinks he can still keep his job if he trades Kaprizov, because the alternative (if Kaprizov won't extend) is that we lose him for nothing. For our sake, I want Guerin to be willing to trade Kaprizov, because losing him for nothing will be worse.

Guerin should be gone yesterday, before he can even make that decision. Guerin is as good as gone regardless of whether he trades Kaprizov or Kaprizov walks. My hope is that Guerin doesn't think that.

Kap walks for nothing is what I'm expecting. He has a full NMC.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Kap walks for nothing is what I'm expecting. He has a full NMC.

I don't think the NMC has much to do with it. If he was willing to flex his NMC to not end up anywhere but MIN, he'd just sign the extension. There would still be other teams he's willing to waive for, and there are other teams who would be willing to trade for him.

The only reason he'd walk for nothing is if Guerin doesn't try to trade him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Panarin's contract expires the same summer ask Kaprizov's, FYI. That's the one that makes me nervous.

8 x $13M = $104M / 7 = $14.9M. This our leverage against him walking. Though if he walks to Florida, Dallas, Nashville, et al, that leverage is lessened a bit.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Panarin's contract expires the same summer ask Kaprizov's, FYI. That's the one that makes me nervous.

8 x $13M = $104M / 7 = $14.9M. This our leverage against him walking. Though if he walks to Florida, Dallas, Nashville, et al, that leverage is lessened a bit.

If anything this would also make him more willing to accept a trade. Not sure the 8th year matters much either if Kaprizov doesn't want to be here and doesn't think we can win.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't think the NMC has much to do with it. If he was willing to flex his NMC to not end up anywhere but MIN, he'd just sign the extension. There would still be other teams he's willing to waive for, and there are other teams who would be willing to trade for him.

The only reason he'd walk for nothing is if Guerin doesn't try to trade him.

He could also flex his NMC by saying I only want to go to 1 team, and all that team offers is a 2nd. GMBG (among other GMs) would just say no on principle.

I feel confident he will re-sign.

In MN, or with another team after he's traded? :popcorn:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He could also flex his NMC by saying I only want to go to 1 team, and all that team offers is a 2nd. GMBG (among other GMs) would just say no on principle.

This has never happened in recorded history, but sure, this could be the first time ever.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
This has never happened in recorded history, but sure, this could be the first time ever.

One of the old VAN GMs talked about it in the past. It sets a bad precedent for future dealings. Hall only would go to BOS and flexed his NTC for that.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Because Guerin will give him what he wants.

Less confident about that, but I’d rather overpay a superstar than bottom of the lineup guys.
Except for a cup contending team.

I liked this not because I feel confident, but because you spelled re-sign right.

I am not confident. I am also not insecure (about Kaprizov anyway). If anyone throws "competitiveness" around instead of "compete level" I'll give them a love.
I can't like this post enough. :thumbu:

Reactions: Arturia Pendragon

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Also a factor in it. The hope is that Guerin doesn't think his job security is tied to Kaprizov, and that trading Kaprizov for a good return could also allow him to keep the job.

In order of most to least job security, you'd think it would look like

1) Sign Kaprizov
2) Trade Kaprizov for a good return
3) Trade Kaprizov for a bad return
4) Let him walk for nothing

I think the only thing Wild fans would hate more than trading Kaprizov is watching Gaborik 2.0 unfold. That means he's 100% fired. Trading him for something might only mean 50-75% chance at getting fired.
Generally agree, but the 1st scenario needs more nuance;

1a - sign Kap at below market 7 x 10M

1b- at market 8x 11.5M

1c - bent over by Kap, 8x 13.5M NMC

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
I liked this not because I feel confident, but because you spelled re-sign right.

I am not confident. I am also not insecure (about Kaprizov anyway). If anyone throws "competitiveness" around instead of "compete level" I'll give them a love.

Given the ubiquitous nature of misspelled words in our current society, I dare posit that our educational foundation has begun to fail us.

Also:

Competitiveness.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I’m confident that if Guerin knows he has to trade Kaprizov, that Kaprizovnwould work with him to go to a team with an extension in place to maximize the value. Similar to Tkachuk deal, but hopefully with a better ending. I ultimately think he’s going to resign as the highest paid player in the league.

Last edited:

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Obviously we don't know right now how other rosters are going to fully shake out, but how would you all rank the Central teams next season?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That won’t be market value when he’s up.

Not sure it's that far off either. Pastrnak got 11.25, Nylander got 11.5.

Pettersson just got 11.6 as a center, MacKinnon just got 12.6 as the second best player in the world (and a center).

Think market value for a player like Kaprizov should be between 11 and 12. But we'll see what Marner gets, that could change things a little.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Not sure it's that far off either. Pastrnak got 11.25, Nylander got 11.5.

Pettersson just got 11.6 as a center, MacKinnon just got 12.6 as the second best player in the world (and a center).

Think market value for a player like Kaprizov should be between 11 and 12. But we'll see what Marner gets, that could change things a little.
It’s 2 summers from now. Cap could easily be 10% higher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad