Kopitar/Carter - 2014
Crosby/Malkin 2016 & 2017
Stamkos/Pointe 2020 & 2021
Landeskog/Kadri 2022
Eichel/Karlsson 2023
Pavelski/Hintz/Benn 2023 & 2024
Reinhart/Bennet 2024
McDavid/Draisaitl 2024

Please tell me who slides down the line up for Ek.

Seguin in 2011 wasn't even a center. Chances are Krejci moves to wing in this scenario.

Jeff Carter moves to wing in 2014, he was already playing a lot there. Kopitar and Mike Richards were the centers. Mike Richards was a very good center though, I don't really know how they'd handle having Kopitar, Richards and Ek. There's a pretty good chance Richards would also move to wing and just take faceoffs.

Crosby and Malkin are both better.

Stamkos played 1 playoff game in 2019-20 and missed most of the season in 2020-21. He's also already a winger that take faceoffs. Not much of an issue there.

The Colorado one is confusing to me because MacKinnon is their top center and Landeskog is a winger. I would move Kadri to the wing.

Karlsson moves down or to the wing. That one isn't even a debate.

Pavelski and Benn were wingers.

Reinhart is a winger, Bennett moves down, also not a debate.

McDavid and Draisaitl are both better.

So I have 7/20 that are definitely playing center over Ek, 6/20 were already wingers, 2 that Ek plays over no contest, and 5.5ish that it would be a toss up on? If I counted that right?

That tells me he's perfectly fine as a 2C on a contender, we just need a real 1C in front of him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You're not talking about "contenders" with that list. You're talking about Cup winners. Those are different things, as obviously the runners up/runner ups were also "contenders" for the Cup. You should probably even expand to the final 4.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Really? He's one of the best faceoff guys, scored 30 goals last year. Dude won trophies and championships as a center. WJC, WC, SC, Lady Byng. Rarely takes penalties.
I would love him on Minnesota's second line.
Scored 43 goals as a center. +49!
11 goals in 22 playoff games on a cup winner.
20-21 he had 4 PM in 54 games. Kills penalties and scores SH goals.
56.2 FO% last year. That's not a winger. That's awesome.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Really? He's one of the best faceoff guys, scored 30 goals last year. Dude won trophies and championships as a center. WJC, WC, SC, Lady Byng. Rarely takes penalties.
I would love him on Minnesota's second line.
Scored 43 goals as a center. +49!
11 goals in 22 playoff games on a cup winner.
20-21 he had 4 PM in 54 games. Kills penalties and scores SH goals.
A lot of guys take faceoffs and then play on the wing. Eriksson Ek is a much better defensive center than Karlsson, and in 2022-23 he only scored 14 goals. He's a good player and I'd of course take him on our second line, but Ek is better for my money.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
A lot of guys take faceoffs and then play on the wing. Eriksson Ek is a much better defensive center than Karlsson, and in 2022-23 he only scored 14 goals. He's a good player and I'd of course take him on our second line, but Ek is better for my money.
Of course JEE is the first line center and our captain in my dream world.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Of course JEE is the first line center and our captain in my dream world.

Yeah I'm just not getting hung up on faceoffs being tied to the center position in this exercise. A lot of guys will take faceoffs but play wing, Stamkos, Giroux to name a couple. Karlsson is definitely a better faceoff man, I won't deny that. Like I said, I think Eriksson Ek's defensive game is better, and that's more important for a center in my eyes. Looking at their last three seasons offensively as well, Eriksson Ek has averaged about 28 goals and 62 points per 82 games, Karlsson has averaged 21 goals and 55 points.

So in this hypothetical scenario I'd still have Karlsson taking most faceoffs, but then during play he'd act more as a winger. Eriksson Ek being a bigger stronger player, I want him down low in the D zone and I'd want him getting to the middle of the ice in the offensive zone where he's been a better goal scorer lately. That said, having both of them on a line together would be great. That would be a tough line to play against.

Owen Nolan

Mar 3, 2024
Bergeron/Krejci/Seguin 2011
Kopitar/Carter - 2014
Crosby/Malkin 2016 & 2017
Stamkos/Pointe 2020 & 2021
Landeskog/Kadri 2022
Eichel/Karlsson 2023
Pavelski/Hintz/Benn 2023 & 2024
Reinhart/Bennet 2024
McDavid/Draisaitl 2024

Please tell me who slides down the line up for Ek.
Seguin in 2011 wasn't even a center. Chances are Krejci moves to wing in this scenario.

Jeff Carter moves to wing in 2014, he was already playing a lot there. Kopitar and Mike Richards were the centers. Mike Richards was a very good center though, I don't really know how they'd handle having Kopitar, Richards and Ek. There's a pretty good chance Richards would also move to wing and just take faceoffs.

Crosby and Malkin are both better.

Stamkos played 1 playoff game in 2019-20 and missed most of the season in 2020-21. He's also already a winger that take faceoffs. Not much of an issue there.

The Colorado one is confusing to me because MacKinnon is their top center and Landeskog is a winger. I would move Kadri to the wing.

Pavelski and Benn were wingers.

Reinhart is a winger, Bennett moves down, also not a debate.

McDavid and Draisaitl are both better.

So I have 7/20 that are definitely playing center over Ek, 6/20 were already wingers, 2 that Ek plays over no contest, and 5.5ish that it would be a toss up on? If I counted that right?

That tells me he's perfectly fine as a 2C on a contender, we just need a real 1C in front of him.
Sorry for the half-assed list. My house is full of guests. I dipped out for a break and did a horse shit job editing my thoughts.

Barkov
McKinnon
Richards

Yup - beg your pardon.

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Sorry for the half-assed list. My house is full of guests. I dipped out for a break and did a horse shit job editing my thoughts.

Barkov
McKinnon
Richards

You’re right my list was half-assed. I’ve got a house full of guests and I dipped for a break. Didn’t do a good job representing my thoughts.
Barkov
McKinnon
Richards

Yup… beg your pardon.

I still think he's more than capable of being a 2C on a Cup winner, let alone one of the other few contending teams every year. He's one of the better defensive centers in the league, he shuts down other teams top guys like few others can. He's not far from the mold of guys like Toews, Bergeron, Kopitar.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Yeah I'm just not getting hung up on faceoffs being tied to the center position in this exercise. A lot of guys will take faceoffs but play wing, Stamkos, Giroux to name a couple. Karlsson is definitely a better faceoff man, I won't deny that. Like I said, I think Eriksson Ek's defensive game is better, and that's more important for a center in my eyes. Looking at their last three seasons offensively as well, Eriksson Ek has averaged about 28 goals and 62 points per 82 games, Karlsson has averaged 21 goals and 55 points.

So in this hypothetical scenario I'd still have Karlsson taking most faceoffs, but then during play he'd act more as a winger. Eriksson Ek being a bigger stronger player, I want him down low in the D zone and I'd want him getting to the middle of the ice in the offensive zone where he's been a better goal scorer lately. That said, having both of them on a line together would be great. That would be a tough line to play against.
Karlsson has played the center position his whole career. As a junior, he won the J20 SuperElit Overall most points by U18 Junior (54) in 38 games. 20 + 34. He was 18 yo and played with 2 years older guys at the time. As a center. J20 SuperElite best plus/minus +28 the same year. 18 yo.
He won a U18 silver medal. Center position.

11-12 he won "Guldgallret" as Hockeyallsvenskan best junior. Center.
Most assist by a junior. 33
Most goals by a junior. 12
Most points. 45
U20 gold medal.

12-13 U20 SuperElit Playoffs MVP. Center.
J20 SM gold Medal
SHL Best Junior Award. Center.
SHL most assists by junior. Center.
SHL rookie of the year. Center.

16-17 WC gold medal. Center

17-18 NHL best plus/minus +49 (43 goals)

22-23 SC Champion. 11 goals. Center.

Why would you put him as a winger? Doesn't make sense.

(Yes, he's my favorite Swedish player, and I've followed his career since he played for my club in Sweden)

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Karlsson has played the center position his whole career. As a junior, he won the J20 SuperElit Overall most points by U18 Junior (54) in 38 games. 20 + 34. He was 18 yo and played with 2 years older guys at the time. As a center. J20 SuperElite best plus/minus +28 the same year. 18 yo.
He won a U18 silver medal. Center position.

11-12 he won "Guldgallret" as Hockeyallsvenskan best junior. Center.
Most assist by a junior. 33
Most goals by a junior. 12
Most points. 45
U20 gold medal.

12-13 U20 SuperElit Playoffs MVP. Center.
J20 SM gold Medal
SHL Best Junior Award. Center.
SHL most assists by junior. Center.
SHL rookie of the year. Center.

16-17 WC gold medal. Center

17-18 NHL best plus/minus +49 (43 goals)

22-23 SC Champion. 11 goals. Center.

Why would you put him as a winger? Doesn't make sense.

(Yes, he's my favorite Swedish player, and I've followed his career since he played for my club in Sweden)

Well you could move him down to 3C too

I wasn't trying to say he should be a winger, or he is a winger, or he's better as a winger, or that he isn't a very good center. The question was who would play 2C between him and Ek. I would take Ek. I really wasn't trying to disparage Karlsson other than to say I think Ek is a better player.

But Ek's been a center his entire career too. And a damn good one. So in the hypothetical scenario where one of them has to move to wing, I think Ek is the better option to keep at center.

Last edited:

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Well you could move him down to 3C too

I wasn't trying to say he should be a winger, or he is a winger, or he's better as a winger, or that he isn't a very good center. The question was who would play 2C between him and Ek. I would take Ek. I really wasn't trying to disparage Karlsson other than to say I think Ek is a better player.

But Ek's been a center his entire career too. And a damn good one. So in the hypothetical scenario where one of them has to move to wing, I think Ek is the better option to keep at center.
Fair enough. I would place Ek as a first line C, and Karl as second line C. I still would argue Karlsson is the superior shut down C, but it is a fine line. Both are great. Both won gold for Sweden in WC 17.
I'm just gonna post this random clip of Karlsson playing the shorthanded C, just because I want to.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
It’s a strong team, a couple of obvious holes in the middle, but enough at the top to be playoff caliber IMO. The cap tether winds down during the season so there will be more wiggle room than last year to make changes if things go south.

Goaltending is the big question mark but I feel so much better about our D corps to start this season than last year Game 1. Gus seems like an easy rebound pick, he was already looking good to end the season and should be very motivated this summer. Wallstedt will be as motivated or more, he absolutely can force things if he is truly ready. Again, more options than last year at least.

This team will go far as far as Kap, JEE and Boldy can take them, and relies on their health. Brodin-Faber is one the better shutdown pairs we have ever had.

Schedule is much friendlier this season compared to the last, we have a decent rest advantage this year vs last being heavily unrested and Sweden miles.

Lots of course can go wrong, but the trajectory is an improvement from last year IMO.

Reactions: Sweetnut

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If neither of Ohgren or Heidt make the team, that would be extremely disappointing.
Or not. What if they don't make it because another prospect like Bankier or Milne looks great in camp and outplays both of them? That would be good news, wouldn't it?

Having said that, I would put the chances of Ohgren making the team at over 50%, Heidt playing more than 9 NHL games at way less.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Or not. What if they don't make it because another prospect like Bankier or Milne looks great in camp and outplays both of them? That would be good news, wouldn't it?

Having said that, I would put the chances of Ohgren making the team at over 50%, Heidt playing more than 9 NHL games at way less.
The thought of those guys making the team over Ohgren or Heidt is not exciting at all and would not make up for my disappointment. I feel like that case would be more of a Ohgren/Heidt performed poorly than Bankier/Milne showed they are anything more than 4th liners.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

P10p

May 15, 2012
The thought of those guys making the team over Ohgren or Heidt is not exciting at all and would not make up for my disappointment. I feel like that case would be more of a Ohgren/Heidt performed poorly than Bankier/Milne showed they are anything more than 4th liners.

What if they're just not ready?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If neither of Ohgren or Heidt make the team, that would be extremely disappointing.

It depends on the situation. They could have good camps and still not make the team if a couple of vets (Freddy G and MarJo) rebound and the roster is healthy. There just isn't the roster spots.

Marat K and Lauko are the provisional 11/12 FWDs with he other 10 spots taken by guys who played all of last year for MN or was a big UFA signing.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think Spurgeon and the goaltending will decide our fate. If 46 bounces back, that’s massive.

Rossi will have his coming out party.

Reactions: Sweetnut

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If Heidt isn't ready, his development will stagnate this year if he's forced back into the CHL

Heidt seems like a 13FWD candidate they make a decision on after the U20s. Practice/travel with the team, mostly sit in the pressbox, maybe get an occasional game to keep the counter below 9. Then after the U20s end. probably send him back the the CHL so he gets playing time.

It's something I've seen other teams do to help with the development stagnation.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
THG the hockey guy latest power rankings has us 26th. i just don't see how we make the playoffs with this blue collar roster. we'll probably be in the mix but fall short of a wild card spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad