Minnesota 2023-2024 Affiliates Thread (Iowa Wild, Iowa Heartlanders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Tonight Iowa is playing against Manitoba in Winnipeg, and tomorrow they meet again. Is that the way AHL operates, only on weekends and the same teams twice B2B? Or maybe that´s only true when playing teams far away from home.
Was hoping to catch some game again and see how the play evolves over the season when the new coaching team gets their system worked on a bit.
Did Iowa need a callup when Walker walked to NHL?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Tonight Iowa is playing against Manitoba in Winnipeg, and tomorrow they meet again. Is that the way AHL operates, only on weekends and the same teams twice B2B? Or maybe that´s only true when playing teams far away from home.
Was hoping to catch some game again and see how the play evolves over the season when the new coaching team gets their system worked on a bit.
Did Iowa need a callup when Walker walked to NHL?
A lot of the time, but not exclusively.

Reactions: Sweetnut

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
So I totally admit to having the game on in the background, so I have only seen bits and pieces. I've seen a few shifts of Masters and he was very good. Broke up some plays. Also QB the PP.

Saw Hunt get mauled in a fight.

Lambos just had a great shift defensively. Caught his guy, broke up the play, then made a nice outlet pass.

Wild up 2-1.

Reactions: Minnesota

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Iowa won. Again, only saw bits and pieces. Really liked Beckman's game. Much more intelligent positionally and with the puck than years past. Still a shooter but that's his best trait, imo. I know he doesn't have Walker's speed but I'd like to see him get the next callup.

Young dmen played much better than last week. Didn't see goals Wallstedt gave up but had 33 saves so must have played at least good enough if not well.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Jumped in for a quick peek just past the midway point in the first. Iowa was in a PP and had some nice plays, but no goal scored. Then the play kept on going without whistles for a good chunk, maybe 5-6 minutes or something (did not time it) and the flow of the game looked better than the first little snippet I caught on their first game. To my eyes they seemed better. I don´t know how good the opponent is relative to Henderson, though.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, Iowa lost 8-2 last night, and were outshot 48-18. I'm on the fence whether I am going to watch them this year. Watching how ROR and Milne develop is of very mild interest. Maclean better start coaching, because so far this team looks like it's underperforming.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
So, Iowa lost 8-2 last night, and were outshot 48-18. I'm on the fence whether I am going to watch them this year. Watching how ROR and Milne develop is of very mild interest. Maclean better start coaching, because so far this team looks like it's underperforming.
Milne isn't expected back until second half. Bankier is still a month away I believe. Hope I am not confusing the two. Point being is little to see up front and they have been hard to watch defensively thus far, so hard to want to watch.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, 7 games in and Iowa is 29th in GA's, 26th in GF, and 1st in PIM's in the AHL. New coach better get a handle on things there.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sounds very Evason like - undisciplined penalties with little to show for it :D
They were pretty bad in the last 2-3 years. A lot of bad penalties. In the old days the AHL was pretty rough, but most teams are getting away from that type of play. It's probably no accident that Duhaime and Dewar are pretty good PK'ers...they had lots of practice.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not watching so far this year, but seems like I haven't missed much. Iowa lost 4-0 yesterday. Somehow they are only 2nd to last in the Central

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Masters in for Spacek today.

Wild being outshot 9-4 despite controlling puck possession for most of period.

Beckman just got robbed by Murray (got robbed yesterday by Murray in first as well).

Masters had two nice defensive plays and some smart outlet passes.

Novak was noticeable this period.

Walker just turned it over at blue line but Masters saves the day, otherwise it would have been a 3 on one.

Iowa scores with 20sh seconds left in first and believe shots ended up being Stars 9 Wild 7.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Tied 2-2 after 2. Wallstedt had some phenomenal stops but the first goal was a little soft. Second he had no chance due to screen.

Masters had 2 or 3 fantastic defensive plays but took a delay of game penalty flipping it over glass.

Novak played well - nothing dynamic, but just smart/simple plays.

Lambos obviously a fantastic skater but I still question his hockey IQ/decision making.

Walker has two assists.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
ROR's name brought up during intermission for his defense this year based on advanced stats. Proceeds to have two decent shots from point at start of third.

Masters has a shot trickle by Murray but it rolls wide.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Beckman scores to make it 3-2. Nice breakout by the whole line that ends up backhanding a pass into the net. Beckman was a bit snakebitten this weekend as I already mentioned Murray stole two goals from him.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Wild win 4-2 with empty netter at end. Overall, they played a much better game as most of the shots against were on outside. Not nearly as many defensive breakdowns and I am not sure there were odd man breaks. Hopefully this is a start of playing better...

No one really played poorly of the prospects. Masters was better defensively than anticipated...3 or 4 really good plays. ROR really smart all over. Lambos kinda like a poor man's Brodin in there tonight. Wallstedt pretty solid but he still lacks quickness side to side.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia

Spacek and Masters scratched. They had been rotating in and out for one another but now that Hunt is down again, they have been squeezed out. Surprised to say the least - been a fan of Spacek for awhile and thought he played well in prospect camp, main camp, etc., but was invisible in Iowa games I have seen. As far as Masters, the three games I have seen he has been much better defensively than I anticipated and has made good offensive plays.

Hopefully they can get into the lineup and get some minutes.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just boxscore watching, but Wallstedt is now leading the AHL in save%. 4th in GAA.

Daemon Hunt had another 2 pt night. Good to see that he is producing, after, IMO, a slow start to the year. Hope he recaptures, and improves on, last year's form.

Good to see Walker score again. He needs to wake up and turn some heads if he wants another shot at the NHL.... also a lower cap hit, but not much he can do about that.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Bankier in the lineup for his first AHL game. First period down 1-0.

He didn't look out of place but also didn't have that many shifts/do anything that stood out.

Lambos not in lineup - unsure if scratched or injured. Spacek had a bad turnover early but followed it up with a fantastic pass, then two solid defensive zone plays. ROR looked solid and Hunt's speed/pinching generated some chances.

Walker looks disinterested.

Beckman had two solid backchecks...his line doesn't seem to be on same page.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
I have a lot of time for Bankier and obviously lots of patience before making any kind of criticism of a guy who didnt play with a ton of pace in the chl adjusting to the ahl, especially after a big injury. *But* I do think that if Bankier fails to progress this is basically what it would look like. Not making a ton of big mistakes or anything, just failing to make an impact bc he cant match or exceed the pace of play.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Wild score on 5 on 3 - Walker skates it out from behind the nut and backhands it 5-hole. Still on PP with Bankier, Beckman, and Lambos on 2nd PP unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad