Minnesota 2023-2024 Affiliates Thread (Iowa Wild, Iowa Heartlanders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just wanted to say - really, REALLY appreciate your updates. Makes me want to catch some Iowa streams to get some looks myself. But its great to have this context.
No problem, I just got curious a couple of years ago as to what we actually had down on the farm. Want to emphasize that my views are just my opinion, and not necessarily fact. I’d welcome discussion from those who also watch, and have an opinion on Iowa and it’s players.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Iowa loses 3-1 to Coachella, who play a tough, hard checking game. McIntyre was good, but let in an early groaner that was the result of a botched handoff between him and Hicketts. D'accord, the other goalie was terrific, stopping 36 of 37 shots.

Rossi got one assist. Continues to play really well, both overall, and on special teams. He and Petan are a pleasure to watch. Beckman was out, injured, so Rossi was playing with Milne and Balmas, I think...maybe someone else. The word for Rossi when he has the puck in the O zone is composed. If he can bring that up with him to the NHL it would come in very handy. He really reminds me of Zucc, albeit a Zucc who plays C, and has better defense. Before you get excited, that is not a projection, but how he looks in the AHL. Whether he can bring that game to the NHL is another question. I do think that it would be very wise of him to hang around Zucc as much as he can, and see how he figured out how to play in the NHL as a small, not fast, player.

Hunt looking more and more confident. Stepping up in the play and creating chances. I imagine he will continue to improve as he shakes off the Mono. He is playing with Hicketts, on, arguably, the top pairing. If he can stay healthy, and keep improving, he might be the first of the young D to get some MN time. Arguable whether he is better than Mermis, at this point, but you know who has the better future.

SJo kind of invisible.

ROR ok. Sound, but kind of boring. Decent tools, though. Patience, and a really good summer of training, needed.

Milne less good today. Still ok.

Seems like our prospect pool could use a big, heavy forward or two. Another Duhaime, if you will.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Iowa beats SD 4-3 in SO. Milne had a beautiful goal from Rossi and Fogarty. Also had a SO goal. Hard, quick shot with a sneaky release...they've been watching Kap and Zucc, for sure. Petan did the same thing, sealing the win, so Rossi didn't even need to go.

Both Rossi and Petan failed to score on breakaways in OT.... both were kind of gassed, but still....not the best efforts.

I like Hunt and ROR's games. Would like to see ROR be more aggressive and rush the puck more, but Mermis, and especially Hicketts, do lots of that. Nothing wrong with playing solid defense.

Beckman still out.

I keep forgetting that Milne is a rookie. He plays like a vet. Nice speed, decent physicality, and even a few moves. Will be interesting to see what direction his game goes in next year.

Reactions: Minnesota

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Iowa has an 8 day break, which is odd. They are barely hanging onto a playoff spot. Can use the rest to get healthy. Players like Beckman , Hentges, and Swaney have missed a lot of time, and Walker looks to have hit a wall, as almost all rookies do.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Iowa has an 8 day break, which is odd. They are barely hanging onto a playoff spot. Can use the rest to get healthy. Players like Beckman , Hentges, and Swaney have missed a lot of time, and Walker looks to have hit a wall, as almost all rookies do.

Don't they have an 11 point lead over 6th place team? Top 5 in the division makes the playoffs.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
After a 8 game layoff, Iowa played last night, winning 5-1.

- Both Beckman and Walker out injured. Not sure what is the problem. I think Walker was carrying that injury for a while, as his play tailed off recently.

- Petan with a big night, 2g, 2a. He is a really, really good AHL player, and leads the team in points, and PPG. I wonder if he'll find a way to become a late bloomer in the NHL, or is forever doomed to be a AHL'er? Part of me worries that Rossi might end up sharing his fate, though Rossi is a better defensive player. Otherwise, they share a lot of traits.

- Rossi with 3a. He continues to play well late into the year, as opposed to last year when he was either/or playing hurt, or hit a wall. Very composed when he can create space for himself, especially on the PP. He would probably help on #2PP right now- he is an orchestrator, but can and will take the shot if it's there. I am cautiously optimistic that he will eventually be a top 6 player in the NHL. Still mediocre on FO's, which would continue a Wild tradition. Could Mikko not be a roving FO instructor for the team?

- Wallstedt stopped 17 of 18 shots. Looks solid.

- Hunt with a nice assist. The three rookies look like they fit in, which is good, but aren't sticking out, either. I think that all three need a good summer, and and some more AHL TOI.

They play again today in the afternoon, I think.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
After a 8 game layoff, Iowa played last night, winning 5-1.

- Both Beckman and Walker out injured. Not sure what is the problem. I think Walker was carrying that injury for a while, as his play tailed off recently.

- Petan with a big night, 2g, 2a. He is a really, really good AHL player, and leads the team in points, and PPG. I wonder if he'll find a way to become a late bloomer in the NHL, or is forever doomed to be a AHL'er? Part of me worries that Rossi might end up sharing his fate, though Rossi is a better defensive player. Otherwise, they share a lot of traits.

- Rossi with 3a. He continues to play well late into the year, as opposed to last year when he was either/or playing hurt, or hit a wall. Very composed when he can create space for himself, especially on the PP. He would probably help on #2PP right now- he is an orchestrator, but can and will take the shot if it's there. I am cautiously optimistic that he will eventually be a top 6 player in the NHL. Still mediocre on FO's, which would continue a Wild tradition. Could Mikko not be a roving FO instructor for the team?

- Wallstedt stopped 17 of 18 shots. Looks solid.

- Hunt with a nice assist. The three rookies look like they fit in, which is good, but aren't sticking out, either. I think that all three need a good summer, and and some more AHL TOI.

They play again today in the afternoon, I think.
They’re currently playing. 2-1 after 1.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
4-2 loss. Goals by ROR and S. Johansson. Walker and Beckman still out.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
4-2 loss. Goals by ROR and S. Johansson. Walker and Beckman still out.
Fogarty with a brain dead play on the 5-4. Petan and Del Zotto both received 2 minuts with about 2:30 left in the game. Iowa pulled the goalie. Fogarty decides to get fancy, loses the puck, Gulls score on the empty net.

When I say fancy, I mean he tried to stick handle through/between 3 defenders

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Iowa not playing till Friday. Weird stretch in which they play only 2 games in 12-13 days. Good for healing up players like Walker, Beckman, and Hentges, I guess( I’m assuming Chaffee is done for the year). Certainly is awkward for the other players, though. Rust will certainly be a factor.

Iowa signed 4 players….most to ATO’s I think. A couple of WHL’ers, two college players). Two forwards, two D

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Iowa lost 4-1 last night, even though they outshot the Wolves.

Rossi had an assist, and looked vg, giving multiple looks to other players. I’m not saying he’s going to be a good NHL’er, but he sure as hell deserves another chance. A lot of his production comes from the PP. I hope Dean is cognizant of that and gives him #2 pp duties right away, even though it is tough without any practice.
Walker is back playing, and looked good even though he didn’t get on the scoreboard. Had a team high 4 shots.
Beckman still out.
Milne looks good, in a bottom of the lineup, grinder’ish sort of way. Good skater….not just fast….nice edges. Impressive the way that he has handled the physicality of the AHL.is playing on a line with Walker and Rossi….interesting. Seems like I am not the only one impressed with Milne.

Wallstedt looked a bit shaky.

Young Dmen looked ok….I didn’t watch the whole game, so might have missed something. In general, they look like they fit in, and don’t stick out. That can be a double edged sword, IMO. While you don’t want to be making mistakes out there, you also,aren’t going to be called up if you are merely treading water in the AHL.you’ve got to excel.

Petan and Hicketts are examples of players who excel in the AHL, but are doomed to stay there because of their size, inability to play defense, and/or their inability to bring their game to the next level over a period of years.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Iowa wins 3-2 against CHI in OT.

Walker scored in 3v3 from Petan. 3v3 is a format that really favors Sammy's game, with his speed and puck skills.

Walker, Rossi, and Milne playing on a line , and it looks really good...maybe a bit lightweight, with Milne being the most physical. Milne is really fast. He might be as fast or faster than Walker in a straight line. Playing on this line is encouraging him to use some of his skill, and it looks pretty promising. There was one play where Rossi picked up the puck from behind his own net, protected the puck from two forecheckers, then flipped the puck to Walker at the Blue line who skated with it through the neutral zone then hit Milne at full speed. Milne turned a dman inside out then was in on Kotchekov(good goalie). beat him cleanly, but rang it off the post. Milne showed other instances of possessing the puck at high speed and in the offensive zone that was pretty impressive.

Rossi was shooting it willingly, too, at other times

Milne seems to keep upping his game. He's got NHL speed, and a stocky build that should be good enough for the NHL. Maybe in a year or two he will see some NHL games, if there are no setbacks? I know Dean would love his high energy, gritty game.

Rossi and Walker still look vg. I have no idea if Rossi's skill will translate to the NHL, or if he will become the dreaded "tweener", like Petan. He sure looks good in the AHL, though.

Walker's problem is easy. He needs 10-15 lbs. He's actually fairly aggressive, and has a bit of length, but needs some beef so he doesn't get abused. If he does that, i think he's a NHL'er, and a top 9 NHL'er at that. He's fast, skilled, smart, can score, play C, RHS. I don't think that 4th line is the best use of his abilities....same with Rossi. Milne can definitely play there, i think.

ROR left the ice due to a marginal hit and didn't return. Too bad, he has been playing a sound, if unexciting game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Iowa wins 3-2 against CHI in OT.

Walker scored in 3v3 from Petan. 3v3 is a format that really favors Sammy's game, with his speed and puck skills.

Walker, Rossi, and Milne playing on a line , and it looks really good...maybe a bit lightweight, with Milne being the most physical. Milne is really fast. He might be as fast or faster than Walker in a straight line. Playing on this line is encouraging him to use some of his skill, and it looks pretty promising. There was one play where Rossi picked up the puck from behind his own net, protected the puck from two forecheckers, then flipped the puck to Walker at the Blue line who skated with it through the neutral zone then hit Milne at full speed. Milne turned a dman inside out then was in on Kotchekov(good goalie). beat him cleanly, but rang it off the post. Milne showed other instances of possessing the puck at high speed and in the offensive zone that was pretty impressive.

Rossi was shooting it willingly, too, at other times

Milne seems to keep upping his game. He's got NHL speed, and a stocky build that should be good enough for the NHL. Maybe in a year or two he will see some NHL games, if there are no setbacks? I know Dean would love his high energy, gritty game.

Rossi and Walker still look vg. I have no idea if Rossi's skill will translate to the NHL, or if he will become the dreaded "tweener", like Petan. He sure looks good in the AHL, though.

Walker's problem is easy. He needs 10-15 lbs. He's actually fairly aggressive, and has a bit of length, but needs some beef so he doesn't get abused. If he does that, i think he's a NHL'er, and a top 9 NHL'er at that. He's fast, skilled, smart, can score, play C, RHS. I don't think that 4th line is the best use of his abilities....same with Rossi. Milne can definitely play there, i think.
I really liked what I saw from Milne at the start of the season, good to hear updates that he continues to progress, and is earning more offensive opportunities which is a great sign at this point in the season. Hopefully it helps him push his game further along, he looks to have all the fight and drive to play a 200 foot kind of effort game that is demanded on the NHL team, and seems to have the brains to adjust quickly.

Hoping for a big summer of training for Walker and I could absolutely see him battle for a spot into pre-season and beyond. Having chemistry with Rossi can only be a good thing, a potential 3rd scoring line can be built if they continue to progress.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I really liked what I saw from Milne at the start of the season, good to hear updates that he continues to progress, and is earning more offensive opportunities which is a great sign at this point in the season. Hopefully it helps him push his game further along, he looks to have all the fight and drive to play a 200 foot kind of effort game that is demanded on the NHL team, and seems to have the brains to adjust quickly.

Hoping for a big summer of training for Walker and I could absolutely see him battle for a spot into pre-season and beyond. Having chemistry with Rossi can only be a good thing, a potential 3rd scoring line can be built if they continue to progress.
Milne is much better now than he was earlier, IMO. He is more of a Duhaime, Dewar, Shaw type, though probably ahead of all of them at the same age. Speed, tenacity, and smarts are good, and skill is an added bonus.

My only worry with Walker is why didn't he pack on the lbs. earlier? He might be one of those types who simply can't.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Iowa's playoff status will be decided in today's AHL games.

Iowa and Rockford at 77p, Chicago one point behind with 76p. Two of them will make the playoffs and each team has 1 GP remaining.

I'm not 100% on the tiebreaker rules because that part of the AHL website is giving me a 404 error. But it looks like Iowa needs to either win today to quarantee playoffs or hope one of the other two teams loses in regulation.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Last night’s game was a 2-1 loss in OT. Only goal was from Beckman on a rush, assisted by a Walker stretch pass.

ROR still out.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Lost last night in OT 4-3. Thought I heard that was the final game of the season.

Rossi with a goal and an assist.
Beckman with a goal.
Walker with an assist.
Hunt with an assist (point shot).
ROR was back from injury and playing.

Beckman missed the net in OT on a partial breakaway. Rossi was ok...before the winning goal, I didn't like the way he lost the puck down low in the O zone(way too easy), but I also didn't like the way that there was no puck support, and the way the goal was scored in general against them was a tough way to finish the season.
The net front coverage was poor, but it was a small forward covering a 6'6" guy, and the dman(Ottenbreit?)was just standing there looking. Still, an unfortunate series of events... was a lot like the goal by Dallas last night.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Should be a more desirable position than it was in 2018. After reportedly being a finalist for both Meyers and Polin the last 2 years, coupled with McBain and Nesterenko saying no(Lindberg too?), and seeing Firstov(Lodnia/Khovanov as well) request to play in the KHL(whilst under contract) you have to wonder if Army has been considered an issue in some of those scenarios.

Puhis

Will accept caffeine.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Just send a plane to pick up Jukka Jalonen and tell him that if he does well, the Minnesota coaching job is his.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Looking for info on players who made their NHL debut last season. Specifically what type of player they are and what their future NHL outlook is. Thanks!

Damien Giroux
Nick Swaney
Samuel Walker
All three are smaller forwards. Giroux has little to no chance to stick in the NHL. Swaney too. Walker has the skating, skill, and hockey IQ to be a middle six scoring option if he can put it on a few pounds and gain some strength. By no means a sure thing, though.

Reactions: Legionnaire11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad