Minnesota 2023-2024 Affiliates Thread (Iowa Wild, Iowa Heartlanders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, but they also scored 5, and Beckman got a HT. Walker didn’t play, and Hunt is still out… can’t find out why.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Iowa with another loss, 4-1. Wallstedt in net. Let in 4 on 30 odd shots. Wild'had 10 penalties, Fogarty 3. CHI had 6. You can’t win when you are PK’ing all the time. Totally screws with your lines.

Hentges with a goal…tip from the point. I like Hentges. Walker started it all by out battling two bigger guys for the puck,then sending it back to the point. Impressive. Too little, way too late, though.

Hunt continues to be MIA. Don’t know what is wrong. Too bad, injuries can really mess up development, and he always seems to get them.

Rossi is looking faster, and dealing with physical play better. Still needs better acceleration, but is learning how to glide better, and maintain his speed

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Iowa with another loss, 4-1. Wallstedt in net. Let in 4 on 30 odd shots. Wild'had 10 penalties, Fogarty 3. CHI had 6. You can’t win when you are PK’ing all the time. Totally screws with your lines.

Hentges with a goal…tip from the point. I like Hentges. Walker started it all by out battling two bigger guys for the puck,then sending it back to the point. Impressive. Too little, way too late, though.

Hunt continues to be MIA. Don’t know what is wrong. Too bad, injuries can really mess up development, and he always seems to get them.

Rossi is looking faster, and dealing with physical play better. Still needs better acceleration, but is learning how to glide better, and maintain his speed

It's nice to see Hentges starting to produce after coming back from injury.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Iowa down 2-0 in the third. Hunt is back playing, and they had him on PP2, where he looked good. Had 3 shots in a 15 second span.

Now 3-1. Swaney from Fogarty and Rossi on a beautiful tic tac toe. PPG.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Team is 2-8 in their last 10 gp, and are now in 5th place 5 pts. Out of a playoff spot. Aren’t scoring well. Take an absurd amount of penalties…. 760 minutes, the next nearest team in their division has 630, and all the others have less than 600. Significantly less, in most cases.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wallstedt loses to Askarov 1-0.

Both faced 23 shots

Askarovs scored on a disputed goal that Wallstedt maintained was covered up. Hard to tell for sure, but it certainly looks like he had a point....slow whistle.

Iowa is slumping, big time. Can't score, just like the big club. Weird, because they were scoring quite easily prior to this 10 game slump they were in, and they are healthy, basically, with a full complement.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
With 18 games remaining Iowa is:
-10th in the West and 5th in the Division for standings points.
-3rd worst PK% and they are top 10 (not in a good way) in time short handed.
-23rd best PP% and the 11th most times on the PP.
-26th in GF and 20th in GA

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
With 18 games remaining Iowa is:
-10th in the West and 5th in the Division for standings points.
-3rd worst PK% and they are top 10 (not in a good way) in time short handed.
-23rd best PP% and the 11th most times on the PP.
-26th in GF and 20th in GA
And they take way too many penalties. Dumb stuff that is intimidating no one. Most penalties in the Central by a mile.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Iowa finally wins one, and in convincing fashion. 5-2 over GR.

Baddock scores :laugh:

OttenBreit scores :laugh:

Walker, demoted for a few shifts to the 4th line, scores on a play that looked like nothing much till you see it in slow motion. In front of the net he peels away from the guy covering while receiving the pass into his skates, then up to his stick, then a quick move to his backhand and slipped it in. All in a split second. The guy is skilled... he just needs about 10 lbs of muscle and i think he can be an effective NHL'er.

Rossi no points, but ripped one of the crossbar. His shot is way better than Granlund's was at the same age. Still looks good to me...i have no idea if he is ready for the NHL, but he is a better AHL player than he used to be. Maybe a bit too deliberate, but he is a puck control guy... not the worst thing.

Beckman with two assists. He is playing better, and smarter, since his call up. it's like he realized what will, and will not work at higher levels and is adjusting. Still like Rossi and Walker better right now, but Beckman has a shot to make the team next year. Nice length, decent speed, good shot...he's getting stronger, too.

Swaney got hit, and went down like a shot. Looked pretty bad. Had to be helped off the ice. Too bad- I like him. Don't know if he will be a NHL'er.

Hunt had a clumsy looking game. first I've seen from him. ROR looks ok. Not bad... just ok.

S JO had an assist.

I hope Guerin continues to give these guys a few games in the NHL. They need that to help them develop, just like they need lots of minutes down in the AHL.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Iowa finally wins one, and in convincing fashion. 5-2 over GR.

Baddock scores :laugh:

OttenBreit scores :laugh:

Walker, demoted for a few shifts to the 4th line, scores on a play that looked like nothing much till you see it in slow motion. In front of the net he peels away from the guy covering while receiving the pass into his skates, then up to his stick, then a quick move to his backhand and slipped it in. All in a split second. The guy is skilled... he just needs about 10 lbs of muscle and i think he can be an effective NHL'er.

Rossi no points, but ripped one of the crossbar. His shot is way better than Granlund's was at the same age. Still looks good to me...i have no idea if he is ready for the NHL, but he is a better AHL player than he used to be. Maybe a bit too deliberate, but he is a puck control guy... not the worst thing.

Beckman with two assists. He is playing better, and smarter, since his call up. it's like he realized what will, and will not work at higher levels and is adjusting. Still like Rossi and Walker better right now, but Beckman has a shot to make the team next year. Nice length, decent speed, good shot...he's getting stronger, too.

Swaney got hit, and went down like a shot. Looked pretty bad. Had to be helped off the ice. Too bad- I like him. Don't know if he will be a NHL'er.

Hunt had a clumsy looking game. first I've seen from him. ROR looks ok. Not bad... just ok.

S JO had an assist.

I hope Guerin continues to give these guys a few games in the NHL. They need that to help them develop, just like they need lots of minutes down in the AHL.
The interesting thing, to me, is the two players they just signed. I know they won’t play until next year, but looking at the roster, it seems like there will be a pretty good youth movement.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The interesting thing, to me, is the two players they just signed. I know they won’t play until next year, but looking at the roster, it seems like there will be a pretty good youth movement.
I think Haight can still be CHL next year, but Lambos, Masters and Bankier at least.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
I think Haight can still be CHL next year, but Lambos, Masters and Bankier at least.
I just don’t see the reason to sign Haight now if they plan on him being in the CHL next year. Of course, Stranger things have happened

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I just don’t see the reason to sign Haight now if they plan on him being in the CHL next year. Of course, Stranger things have happened

It lowers the cap hit on his ELC slightly for him if/when he does get to the NHL on that contract, due to a signing bonus being paid. Signing him now also gives him some walking around money next year due to that signing bonus. They can also bring him in to the full team training camp, not just the prospects camp (someone double check this for me please).

If they plan on signing a CHL player then there isn't any downside to doing it sooner rather than later. Once he's sent back to the CHL next year he doesn't count against the 50 man contract limit.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
It lowers the cap hit on his ELC slightly for him if/when he does get to the NHL on that contract, due to a signing bonus being paid. Signing him now also gives him some walking around money next year due to that signing bonus. They can also bring him in to the full team training camp, not just the prospects camp (someone double check this for me please).

If they plan on signing a CHL player then there isn't any downside to doing it sooner rather than later. Once he's sent back to the CHL next year he doesn't count against the 50 man contract limit.
I hope he stays down to be honest, he gets to play on a line with Misa, talk about a great way to develop and build offensive confidence.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Bankier and Haight are in different places. Bankier is well over a year older, has had a great year, and is eligible for the AHL. Haight has a had an up and down year, and is not eligible for the AHL.

I thought Haight played wing, but he is listed as a C? Bankier is a C , and probably will be at higher levels. I am excited to see what he will bring to Iowa next year, though my expectations are tempered. Beckman might be a good example of a development timeline for him, though he is bigger and stronger than Beckman was at the same age.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Iowa wins in OT, 4-3. The hot young prospects aren’t producing….got goals and points from guys like Baddock, again(!), O’Leary, and Petan. Rossi got a 2nd assist in OT.

They still look ok, but maybe are running into a wall, especially Walker.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Did Wally hit a Wall? He's been pretty inconsistent in his last five starts.
It’s almost like he’s a young player…

Anyway, I want to know how designed the AHLtv app. Whoever it is, needs to be shot out of a cannon and into the sun. The UI/UX is just dogshit and why can’ti cast from the app to a TV? Seems like a major miss for a streaming app..

Reactions: Victorious Secret

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
1-1 in 1st.Beckman scores unassisted. Stole a puck at own blue line and took it all the way for a nice backhand goal,while fighting off two players. Showed nice speed and strength. Nothing jaw dropping, just enough to get the job done, and the backhand was efficient, and picked a corner. I haven’t been that optimistic about him, but if he has a good summer of training to fill out his frame, then I can see him being a Tuch type winger in a couple of years. He seems to be rediscovering his scoring touch. Shot is still his main attribute.
Wally let in 1 goal on 3 shots. It was a snipe, but he could’ve come out a bit more, I think. Still not one you can blame him for. Ooofff, just let in another. 2 goals on 4 shots. Shot leaked through his gear to allow a Moose player to tap it in.

2-2 still in first. PPG by Fogarty. Easy tip in in front on a nice feed from Rossi, who himself had a beautiful cross ice saucer feed from Petan. Pretty hockey.

Beckman and Rossi are not only on the # 1 PP, but also the #1 PK. Appear to be doing a pretty good job of it.
4-2 in 2nd, Iowa

Goals by Hunt... screened wrist shot from point. Hard shot. Was playing a bit on the PP. Turns out the reason he missed most of the games in FEB was because he had Mono. Still recovering his strength.
Other a PPG by Hicketts, assisted by Petan and Rossi. Good looking PP. Petan and Rossi can control the puck, but will shoot, especially Rossi, Beckman is a shooter, Fogarty the big body, and still smart with the puck. Hicketts vg+ as an AHL offensive Dman.

########################
5-2 final. Beckman with his 2nd into an EN. After letting in two on his first three shots, Wally shut the door the rest of the way, making some nice plays. Was also flattened by a Moose player in the crease with the puck nowhere near, and inexplicably, wasn't called.

I really like Rossi. Very smart. Seems like Granlund, to me, but with a better shot, and better D. Maybe not as flashy. Will make some shooting wingers very happy.

Still not crazy about Beckman's decision making.

ROR, Hunt, S Jo.... ok. Not very noticeable, good or bad. Not NHL ready, i don't think, but I don't see anything that would disqualify them from being in the NHL, assuming that they can stronger over the next year or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Minnesota

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I defer to 57Special since I have only caught half of the games this weekend but Milne has been on Rossi's line now for a few games (maybe more?) and his game has really matured since the first month. Nonstop motor, good mobility, makes smart plays, and underrated hands.

Rossi and Beckman have looked great. I criticized Beckman early on but since his last callup, which I thought he did great in, I am really liking his game.

Noticed Hunt for a few good things. Can't comment on others since been doing work at the same time as the game is on.

Reactions: Wild11MN

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I defer to 57Special since I have only caught half of the games this weekend but Milne has been on Rossi's line now for a few games (maybe more?) and his game has really matured since the first month. Nonstop motor, good mobility, makes smart plays, and underrated hands.

Rossi and Beckman have looked great. I criticized Beckman early on but since his last callup, which I thought he did great in, I am really liking his game.

Noticed Hunt for a few good things. Can't comment on others since been doing work at the same time as the game is on.
Totally agree on Milne. I can see him being a 4 th liner in a couple of years. Not tall, but taller than Dewar, and certainly Shaw, with a thick body, good speed, and a good motor.

Iowa won 4-2 today. Beckman 2 g( one EN, 1 PP snipe),1 a. 9 SOG. He’s shooter.

Rossi 2 g. 8 SOG. One in front of the net where Milne found him, the other on the PP from the top of the circle. Nice wrist shot. He was also the guy net front for Beckman’s PP score. Was kind of funny, because in the sequence before that he was cross checked right into the net behind the goalie, and it seemed to take him forever to get out. Good to see that he is going to the net, but he is NEVER going to be playing that position in the NHL.

Good to see both of them not sulk about not getting called up. Better for them to keep working, than sit on the bench in the NHL. I am sure they’ll be called up as Black Aces for the playoffs. I think Rossi has the higher ceiling, and think both have a good chance of playing in the NHL next year, as long as they make incremental improvements. My worry about Rossi is that he is maxed out in size, strength, and speed, but otherwise, I really like his game. Beckman will never have his vision and passing skill, but, unlike Rossi, could really increase his size and strength(and speed?) in the next year or two if he works hard, I think. Right now, I don’t see him being an improvement on Steel.

@Jbcraig1883 I don’t know if you caught it, but it turns out that Hunt had mono, and he said in an interview yesterday that it really hit him hard, and that he is still recovering. I still think he looks good, and if he can stay healthy, maybe get a few games in next year in the NHL? It’s hard to predict these things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jbcraig1883

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Minnesota is probably going to need another goaltender or two in the next few years. Jones hasn't developed and McIntyre is probably going to sign elsewhere.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Iowa loses 4-1 to Coachella in a penalty fest. They are one of the few teams that takes more penalties than Iowa.

Dreidger was terrific in net, letting in only one goal on a terrific tip by Fogarty from the side of the net, with Rossi getting the primary assist.

Rossi had 5 SOG, and I see him in and around the net quite a bit. I am guessing it is on instructions from the coaches. Not sure that is where he belongs, ultimately, but I can understand that they want him to learn how to play in those hard areas. He was also drawing penalties. He's sort of a Petan who plays defense, at this level, which is pretty damn good. He does wind up and rush the puck on occasion, using speed to beat opponents, but his comfort zone still appears to be about finding space for himself while he has the puck in the O zone, and making smart plays.

Hunt is playing #2 PP. Looks like he belongs. Just an all round smooth game.

ROR seems like a guy who is used to playing physically, but can't quite pull it off at this level. I love the way he covers the net in the D zone....love it. Always keeps contact with the man, and has his head on a swivel when he doesn't. Otherwise, seems just a step behind play....not because he is slow....he's not. Needs time, and might never get there, but it's way too soon to write him off.

SJO... looks good when given time and space. Fairly big, or long at least, but not very physical.

Giroux is a nothing, to me. Has next to no chance of being a NHL'er

Milne continues to impress. Used his speed to blow by a dman on the outside and get a good chance on net. Almost always wins his puck battles, and makes smart plays. Is fast, and energetic, and for a rookie, seems to be able to handle rough going. Sturdy build. He's almost like a bigger, faster, smarter, healthier, Shaw, though Shaw probably had more skill at the same age. His ceiling might be as a 4th liner, but there's nothing wrong with a good 4th liner.

Wallstedt let in 3 goals on 33 shots. Not too bad. Not much chance on the first two goals....missed the third. Was terrific in the first period when they were getting outshot, and hemmed in. Just got beat by a goalie with NHL experience in Driedger.

Beckman, and the other young guy’s games wilted a bit under the physicality, while veterans like Fogarty and Mermis were pretty unfazed. Beckman continues to compete, and drew a penalty or two. I think the recent call up was good for his spirits. I've gone on and on about what i think he needs to do to increase his chances of playing in the NHL as a regular, so I won't repeat myself.

Just realized that Swaney and Hentges were out. They, together with Walker gone, make for a depleted lineup. Don’t know if they are injured, or what. Hentges looks good when I see him, but can’t seem to stay healthy. Swaney has had his share of injuries, also.

Last edited:

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Iowa loses 4-1 to Coachella in a penalty fest. They are one of the few teams that takes more penalties than Iowa.

Dreidger was terrific in net, letting in only one goal on a terrific tip by Fogarty from the side of the net, with Rossi getting the primary assist.

Rossi had 5 SOG, and I see him in and around the net quite a bit. I am guessing it is on instructions from the coaches. Not sure that is where he belongs, ultimately, but I can understand that they want him to learn how to play in those hard areas. He was also drawing penalties. He's sort of a Petan who plays defense, at this level, which is pretty damn good. He does wind up and rush the puck on occasion, using speed to beat opponents, but his comfort zone still appears to be about finding space for himself while he has the puck in the O zone, and making smart plays.

Hunt is playing #2 PP. Looks like he belongs. Just an all round smooth game.

ROR seems like a guy who is used to playing physically, but can't quite pull it off at this level. I love the way he covers the net in the D zone....love it. Always keeps contact with the man, and has his head on a swivel when he doesn't. Otherwise, seems just a step behind play....not because he is slow....he's not. Needs time, and might never get there, but it's way too soon to write him off.

SJO... looks good when given time and space. Fairly big, or long at least, but not very physical.

Giroux is a nothing, to me. Has next to no chance of being a NHL'er

Milne continues to impress. Used his speed to blow by a dman on the outside and get a good chance on net. Almost always wins his puck battles, and makes smart plays. Is fast, and energetic, and for a rookie, seems to be able to handle rough going. Sturdy build. He's almost like a bigger, faster, smarter, healthier, Shaw, though Shaw probably had more skill at the same age. His ceiling might be as a 4th liner, but there's nothing wrong with a good 4th liner.

Wallstedt let in 3 goals on 33 shots. Not too bad. Not much chance on the first two goals....missed the third. Was terrific in the first period when they were getting outshot, and hemmed in. Just got beat by a goalie with NHL experience in Driedger.

Beckman, and the other young guy’s games wilted a bit under the physicality, while veterans like Fogarty and Mermis were pretty unfazed. Beckman continues to compete, and drew a penalty or two. I think the recent call up was good for his spirits. I've gone on and on about what i think he needs to do to increase his chances of playing in the NHL as a regular, so I won't repeat myself.

Just realized that Swaney and Hentges were out. They, together with Walker gone, make for a depleted lineup. Don’t know if they are injured, or what. Hentges looks good when I see him, but can’t seem to stay healthy. Swaney has had his share of injuries, also.
Just wanted to say - really, REALLY appreciate your updates. Makes me want to catch some Iowa streams to get some looks myself. But its great to have this context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad