Minnesota 2023-2024 Affiliates Thread (Iowa Wild, Iowa Heartlanders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
Ends with a positive as a nice give and go between Milne and O'Rourke in OT 3on3 got Orourke a shot from the right circle that he buried for the win.

Spacek connected with a few really nice crisp and tightly accurate long outlet passes.

Reactions: Jbcraig1883

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Watching the 0-0 Iowa Wild game. Dear reader you may think, given the score, that this is an intense tight-checking contest. Alas its much more a cluster f*** of dudes on both sides throwing the puck into each others skates and failing to string more than one pass together.

Bankier's had a couple of chances hes generated but also took a tripping penalty. That penalty was complete BS tho. Dude legit just fell down next to Bankier. Most likely a make-up call as I think the Wild were 4-1 on PP at that point.

Also wrt the dude that slipped and fell next to Bankier - dudes are falling down all over the place. Much more common in AHL but suspect the arena the San Diego Gulls play in suffers the same humidity/condensation issues that the Sharks' arena does.

Otherwise, Lambos generated a chance with his skating & O'Rourke got his stick on a cross-ice pass in front of the net which had he not wouldve been a sure goal. Beckman has been more noticeable. Milne couldnt get his stick on a big quick rebound right at him that wouldve been an open net.

Ben Gislason (Iowa playbyplay) mentioned that Iowa is the lowest scoring team in the AHL. I didnt realize and hard to find it but if you look at eliteprospects AHL page it does appear to be true. Also darkly funny moment when he checked the score of the MN Wild game live "dark, dark days in Minnesota right now... but plenty of season left!" lol

Homepage

AHL league homepage. You can find the basic team/player/league stats here.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Annnd Iowa being outshot 13-2 in the first. I don't think I am going to even finish the first. They look about as motivated as MN Wild did when Wallstedt played.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
Annnd Iowa being outshot 13-2 in the first. I don't think I am going to even finish the first. They look about as motivated as MN Wild did when Wallstedt played.
Yeah. Imma keep watching but what a terrible period. Uncoordinated + low effort. The only bright spot, and it wasnt much, was RoR imo - some good physical play in his own zone.

Goal #1 - cross-slot pass to a roadrunner who has an empty side of the net to shoot at but muffs it but Jesper.. idk what he was thinking kind of stood up trying to take away the top right corner i guess and the roadrunner just makes a simple shot 5-hole on him. Jesper's last AHL game before injury he got lit up by the Admirals and was left in too long - to the point where he started swimming trying to do wild fleury shit and injured himself. Then he got lit up in the NHL in Dallas. Feel like he's trying to do too much

Goal #2 Masters falls down leads to 2 on 1 vs Lambo and roadrunner converts on the chance

Lack of effort on the forecheck, inability to string passes together leading to frustration, and young defensemen crumbling under sustained pressure (spacek fanned on an outlet at the end of the period almost led to a great chance for roadrunners at end of period)

Reactions: Minnesota

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Hunt made a nice pinch but was too late in getting a nice pass from Petan across to Bankier but comes back and absolutely annihilates a Rockford player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wonderful Tacos

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Beckman whiffed on a great chance but then immediately deflects a Lambos shot to tie it 1-1.

Random note - Spacek and ROR are first pairing on PK1.

Kaiser tries to hit Shaw and gets dropped.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
Beckman whiffed on a great chance but then immediately deflects a Lambos shot to tie it 1-1.

Random note - Spacek and ROR are first pairing on PK1.
Yeah, spacek has been outperforming johansson and makes sense to pair johansson with hunt.

Also noticeable (and sadly understandable) that my boy Kyle masters isnt in the lineup right now

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
i was wondering who was going to be sacrificed to get butcher in. moving to his offhand and down to the bottom pair prob isnt what i would do but if it helps them stop giving up touchdowns im all for it lol.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
Hunt and Johannson pairing responsible on the that one. Hunt playing up a bit high maybe and cant get back in time to cover the back door tip in. Maybe O'Leary shouldve been shaded over that way more so Hunt wouldnt tried to cut off the guy moving down the boards?

Idk but it effectively became like a soft 2 on 1 with Johansson in the middle.

Reactions: Jbcraig1883

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I was just going to say that Shaw, Petan, and Beckman were finally a legit 1st line in AHL...they spend most of the time in the O zone but then don't backcheck so SD had easy 3-2 shoot+rebound.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
I was just going to say that Shaw, Petan, and Beckman were finally a legit 1st line in AHL...they spend most of the time in the O zone but then don't backcheck so SD had easy 3-2 shoot+rebound.
yeah 2/3 forwards below the goal line and the third - petan - only a bit above it and caught puck-watching and late to get on his horse

but also ror + lambo on that one.. woof. i think the worst bit was at the end with lambo moving back to the player in the slot who was miles away anyway thus vacating the goal mouth but idk.

a 3 on 2 shouldnt be that easy tho jeez

edit: isnt that on shaw? he's playing center and he's the most out of position. dont really like the idea of shaw as a center

Last edited:

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
yeah 2/3 forwards below the goal line and the third - petan - only a bit above it and caught puck-watching and late to get on his horse

but also ror + lambo on that one.. woof. i think the worst bit was at the end with lambo moving back to the player in the slot who was miles away anyway thus vacating the goal mouth but idk.

a 3 on 2 shouldnt be that easy tho jeez
I hate to beat the kid down but I don't think Lambos has anything to offer outside of his n/s skating. Defensive zone coverage, decisions with pucks/pinchs/etc. all have left me shaking my head several times this year.

3rd goal against that D pairing - Lambos did nothing to close gap/get stick in the way. Man, we are at the 40 game mark, is it coaching at this point? Not showing any better today than the first week.

Reactions: Wonderful Tacos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad