Value of: Mini Rangers Firesale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Our young studs (Laf, Kakko, Fox, K'Andre Lindgren, Chytil), big time prospects (Kravtsov, Lundkvist), Panarin and Igor are off-limits.

Names available:

Zibanejad
Buchnevich
Smith
Kreider
Trouba
Jack Johnson (form an orderly queue)
Strome
Howden
DeAngelo (obviously)
Georgiev

Troba's wife says NO.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This thread is so overreactionary. There is no fire-sale. The Rangers are in a better position to be a Cup Contender in 2-3 years than almost any team in the league. It's going to take some time. A mediocre 12 games with the third lowest SH% in the league for a team with some really high profile offensive players is not reason for a fire-sale. We are 13th in the league in xGF% so far this season (20th in GF%) after being 30th last season in xGF% (12th in GF%). It's amazing what some weird luck in a small size does with fan-reactions. Stay the course. No reason for any fire-sale. By the end of the season we'll either be a playoff team or we'll have at least seen some major improvement from the young core.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Our young studs (Laf, Kakko, Fox, K'Andre Lindgren, Chytil), big time prospects (Kravtsov, Lundkvist), Panarin and Igor are off-limits.

Names available:

Zibanejad
Buchnevich
Smith
Kreider
Trouba
Jack Johnson (form an orderly queue)
Strome
Howden
DeAngelo (obviously)
Georgiev

Rangers locked in on Trouba as their big target earlier in their rebuild.

They looked to move Kreider and signed him for less then what he would have received in open market.

Those two aren’t going anywhere with their newer protected contracts.

Zibanejad and Buchnevich would get a lot of interest if they were truly available. If either are to be moved, there is potential to be in a Crosby or Malkin type of a deal but it’s a stretch. JD loves them both for obvious reasons. With Burke coming in, would he move either in a deal for Crosby or Malkin? I don’t think Zibanejad is his type of player. I don’t think there is a deal with these two clubs even though they were linked by a beat writer.

Smith is tradeable. He I believe is on his last year of his contract. Scrappy defenseman always have some worth as long as the cap hit isn’t devastating. Guy’s that aren’t afraid to drop the mitts and add a little of that have some worth. Especially come playoff time. He’s one of the most hot and cold players I have ever seen. At times it looks like he couldn’t play in a men’s league. Then he surprises you and will look great for a stretch of games. Versatile too, plays left d, right d and forward.

Value as a pick would be 4th rounder and maybe someone would go as high as a 3rd. Could be a piece in a larger move to even out cap.

Jack Johnson is cooked. He was cooked for a few seasons now. Good career. If he stays in the show, it’s a GM favor from the good ole boys club.

Strome’s value to the Rangers is likely higher then his value as a trade piece. Short on Center depth, Strome has solid chemistry with Panarin. He’s also got some sandpaper to him. I think more likely would be a slide into 3rd line C within the next year as Chytil leapfrogs him on the depth chart. But maybe Strome in a deal for an expiring UFA that could perhaps provide some leadership qualities might make sense. A Getzlaf perhaps? Add some parts to even out.

Howden is def tradable. Legit bottom 6 center who is responsible. More recently he is trying to take on different roles to stick. He’s adapting. He isn’t doing all that well on the scoreboard but he has been a strong piece in the surprisingly strong bottom 6 for the Rangers. Young and cheap, team would be interested in him. - Bennett in Calgary would be interesting. Holden is one of the players who can player a heavier game. I think The Rangers need that element. Losing Howden would hurt them there but adding Bennett I think would be a very welcome addition. Quinn’s style of hockey I do believe would be an excellent fit for Bennett.

DeAngelo is the biggest reclamation project in the league. He also may have the most talent as any reclamation project in years. If Evander Kane found a home, so should DeAngelo. A team with a strong leader that has control of the room should have interest if...they need a PP QB. Cap hit is going to factor negatively for the NYR. Stall told the post this week that people in Detroit were asking about him and it sounded like he threw him props. I think he will be moved before the trade deadline.

Georgiev I don’t think should be moved.

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This thread is so overreactionary. There is no fire-sale. The Rangers are in a better position to be a Cup Contender in 2-3 years than almost any team in the league. It's going to take some time. A mediocre 12 games with the third lowest SH% in the league for a team with some really high profile offensive players is not reason for a fire-sale. We are 13th in the league in xGF% so far this season (20th in GF%) after being 30th last season in xGF% (12th in GF%). It's amazing what some weird luck in a small size does with fan-reactions. Stay the course. No reason for any fire-sale. By the end of the season we'll either be a playoff team or we'll have at least seen some major improvement from the young core.

General agreement.

Think we need to take advantage of, not ignore, utilize our current ability to draft well. And then learn how to optimize development of that raw talent.

This means keeping a circular flow on the roster. Vet out, replacements in. Obv exceptional vets can stay longer.
But what needs to be remembered and is overlooked by many here wh0 wanna win now, is that we are in hard cap league. MUST use elcs + rfas to constrain vs top $ paid to the others. THAT is just reality. Our interests are best served by acknowledging that, and becoming skilled at executing and following through.

So since gorton only wants to move DeA on certain terms, recognizing losing cap and having him for exposure at exp dr is likely to outweigh any return, we should table all his talk to the shelf.

I agree w/OP bluest chip elcs off the table.

Buch is available. Not for cheap, but enuf, then yes.

Zib is likely not available. We need to have honest sitdown NOW on if he extends and at what $ and term, which is the deciding factor. If he goes for 2-3 yrs, modest raise, then sure. Beyond that, the faster we deal him, the more value he will have.
Recognizing this and not just unrealistically holding on to the wish of keeping Zib regardless is the shot of maturity we need to take on.

Strome, Geo available for good return at higher end of realistic market, not more, not less.

Smith is replaceable depth insurance. Expiring. Again, replaceable. Move for cheap even w/retained for instant cap relief and mo mins for bottom pair guys.

JJ is beyond cooked, should never have been signed, was done obv as a favor to new D coach. Stay taxi.

We should keep Howden unless there is overpayment.
Our long term pivot picture to which Zib stay or leave may/may not apply:

Kravtsov
Chytil
Barron
Howden

Rooney can handle 4C, but we need to be sure that, as I predict, Kravtsov will = 1C. Chytil/Barron may ultimately emerge.

I like Hajek. Not yet love, but like. Still has not been given full shot since looking fab on initial debut then injury. Should protect in exp dr. If Dunn available at right price -- find out how much he wants before and not a #1 to get him --- then we can thow Haj in a deal.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
What would the Rangers want from the Habs for Kreider??...and no, Montreal won't trade Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, or Romanov so no sense asking...
Would you guys be able to absorb the money cap wise? Don’t want any bad contract coming back.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
We just had a fire sale 2 years ago.
Z needs to go. It’s not a performance issue. It’s a cap issue. And by the time he finishes his next contract, he’ll likely be, what, 35? That’s probably three years past his prime with maybe another concussion. Don’t mind Trouba at 2RD but that $8MM is painful. Strome is overpaid and needs to go — essentially a points mooch.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Z needs to go. It’s not a performance issue. It’s a cap issue. And by the time he finishes his next contract, he’ll likely be, what, 35? That’s probably three years past his prime with maybe another concussion. Don’t mind Trouba at 2RD but that $8MM is painful. Strome is overpaid and needs to go — essentially a points mooch.

concur, but subject to Z refusing short term deal at small $ bump, which I do not expect, but would give him chance to say no first

However, that is an immediate conversation that needs to get done.

Strome is ballpark upper end of market, slightly over as is across the board league wide due to covid. Obv, he is superfluous now and the more so w/Kravtsov and Barron in the picture. Deal now. He is short term. If retain adds to return, do it.

Ooooh come on and do it, do it, do it til you're satisfied.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
concur, but subject to Z refusing short term deal at small $ bump, which I do not expect, but would give him chance to say no first

However, that is an immediate conversation that needs to get done.

Strome is ballpark upper end of market, slightly over as is across the board league wide due to covid. Obv, he is superfluous now and the more so w/Kravtsov and Barron in the picture. Deal now. He is short term. If retain adds to return, do it.

Ooooh come on and do it, do it, do it til you're satisfied.
I would just re-sign Z and send him with another 25+ year-old roster player (ex Panarin, Trouba and Igor) to Florida for Barkov.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
It is fair to put out that Z may never have the 19-20 season again. WE are talking 60+ goal pace for 82 game season and was ridiculously good. But to put him on this list based on 13 games and a lot bad puck luck just has me SMH.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I would just re-sign Z and send him with another 25+ year-old roster player (ex Panarin, Trouba and Igor) to Florida for Barkov.

not bad, but...
re-sign Z is not an issue short term. But if he gets 7-8 yrs term and esp too much $ for then, then it will be, and a suitor will recognize that and it diminishes what they will offer in return.

hence Z extended short and reasonable works for us or a suitor.
Z for too much $/term = unload now for max rental return
OR
as a sweetener in a deal as you suggest

However,
breadman not going anywhere now
We are keeping Shesty unless/until Tyler Wall is the real deal.

We need to keep our primo elcs for cap mgmt

Barkov I target but believe FL will do everything possible to keep, 8 yrs at max and any other sweetener they can add.

But if he wants out for whatev reason, and Panthers entertain bids, then

Zib
Buch
Lindgren
2021, 2022 and 2023 unprotected 1sts

for

Barkov and cap dumps
Stralman
Juulsen
Duclair

something like that

Again, I would target Barkov but don't expect him to be available.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
What would the Rangers want from the Habs for Kreider??...and no, Montreal won't trade Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, or Romanov so no sense asking...
There’d need to be some cap coming back I’m sure, but what about something around Mete + Mysak? Mysak was a guy a lot of Ranger fans were targeting had they not moved up for Schneider, and this would essentially result in a do-over for last year’s deadline as the expected return for Kreider was a late first and a prospect.

LD doesn’t look to be a long term need but it’s a definite short term need and Mete might fit the contention timeline better than some of our other prospects, perhaps freeing them up for another deal.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Dude Trouba isn't going anywhere, His Wifes going to be a Dr in New York city, He chose New York for a reason and he isn't waiving it.

1. I responded to a post specifically asking about Trouba.

2. This thread, just like the sub-forum, is a hypothetical.

3. I know Trouba isn’t going anywhere.

4. I didn’t ask for your input.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
That's funny. To get Eichel you'd be rebuiding again just like the Sabres would
I really don’t think so. Disgruntled guys who carry a 10 mill cap hit for multiple years aren’t going to have a lot of dance partners. Even as good as Eichel is. Maybe Zibby is in the package going back with a prospect or 2 and perhaps a 1st. That hardly guts the rangers prospect stable that they have amassed for years. Especially now in the Covid cap era, there might only be 5-6 teams with the assets and long term cap room that can fit a Jack Eichel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad