Proposal: Min - Edm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If the deal was RNH for Haula and Dumba, which we would accept as oilers fans thee we would have to go 8 and 1 in the expansion draft to protect our D-men.

Larsson, Klefbom,Sekera, Dumba, Draisatl, Lucic, Eberle, Yakupov/maroon/Haula.

leaving Davidson, Reinhart and one of Yakupov, Haula and Maroon available to be picked.

That is fine as we have to lose something good, midas well make the choice harder for Vegas for that one player.

Haula makes 1M/yr. , which is a big part of his appeal. Dumba likely will make 2-2.5M or so. Even if the Wild would do this( which they wouldn't), the money doesn't work. Wild are not a team that can take on much, if any, cap.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Add Huala and I consider it. The Oilers would be downgrading on both players, and if I recall correctly Zucker is a better winger than center. Plus I don't think the Wild can take on this much salary.

:laugh::laugh:

I wouldn't trade RNH for Dumba alone.

Dumba + Zucker + Haula better return Draisaitl...

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
he produced on a Yakupov level, we only have room for one of those types of players
Zucker already scored 20 goals in about 50 games, and has scored at a high clip in juniors, NCAA, and AHL. He admittedly had a tough year with injuries, personal issues, and getting in Yeo's doghouse, but he's not a bust like Yak, nor is he as one-dimensional as Yak.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't get why the Oilers would trade Hall for Larsson but not RNH, who's their 3C for Dumba.

Maybe it wasn't the Oilers, but Nj who didn't want RNH for Larsson.

Zucker actually looked pretty Yak like after he got his bell rung in the outdoor game. Bad decisions, charging around to no effect... We've seen some good play by him in the past, so we can only hope that he has had a full recovery. There is no doubt that Yeo was especially hard on Zucker and Haula, while giving free passes to vets. Hope BB can help Zucker achieve his full potential.

Last edited:

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
Zucker already scored 20 goals in about 50 games, and has scored at a high clip in juniors, NCAA, and AHL. He admittedly had a tough year with injuries, personal issues, and getting in Yeo's doghouse, but he's not a bust like Yak, nor is he as one-dimensional as Yak.

:shakehead

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Add Huala and I consider it. The Oilers would be downgrading on both players, and if I recall correctly Zucker is a better winger than center. Plus I don't think the Wild can take on this much salary.

Zucker isn't a Center at all. He's been a wing as far back as NCAA hockey for sure, never played C in the Wild orginization.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't get why the Oilers would trade Hall for Larsson but not RNH, who's their 3C for Dumba.

Because as of today, Dumba is a bottom pairing defenseman with upside. We had to get a top 4 RD, and we had to overpay to do it because everyone knew we were desperate. The Hall-Larsson trade was our desperation play, we don't need to do it again. If we roll with what we have now, we can likely pick up one of Minnesota's d-men for beans in a year.

Let alone get back a goal-scoring LW like Zucker to replace some of the talent lost with Hall...

We replaced the talent lost with Hall when we signed Lucic. With Lucic, Maroon, Pouliot and Hendricks we don't need Zucker. If we're replacing Pouliot with Zucker, the only real benefit is upside and cap space. The latter makes it much harder for Minnesota to do the deal.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
:laugh::laugh:

I wouldn't trade RNH for Dumba alone.

Dumba + Zucker + Haula better return Draisaitl...

And I wouldnt trade Yakupov for Dumba straight up..

to each its own.

Zucker is not a need nor want in Edmonton.. Dumba really isnt one either... Oilers needs a more polished player especially if RNH is being sent away.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg

Man, with first Haula and now Zucker being basically untouchable, why is it the Wild are never Cup finalists? It's almost like those players aren't as good as fans of the team claim they are.

(Hint: Most teams have a Zucker. Most teams would trade him in the right deal, i.e. for a young top center)

Back to reasonable discussion: I'd prefer Spurgeon for RNH, but Dumba + Haula is fine. Helps both clubs- as much as some people don't want to admit it- and allows Edmonton to clear up the cap space they'll need for future extensions.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
I guess you value your players a hell of a lot more than I do. Wouldn't do Dumba for Nuge, that's a good one. :laugh:

Fletch values RNH for Dumba with no adds. (Russo) Chia wants more, but can't find takers since RNH would be gone long before Hall.

Timeline:

Dumba for RNH trade falls apart (as per Russo that was close Jun 25th)

-> MIN signs Staal for medium term 2C contract. This was RNHs spot.

-> EDM trades Hall for RHD Larsson.

Now whether the deal fell apart before Lucic was in EDM 28th is interesting. Maybe Chia called it off after Lucic->Hall->Larsson came the reality.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Fletch values RNH for Dumba with no adds. (Russo) Chia wants more, but can't find takers since RNH would be gone long before Hall.

Timeline:

Now whether the deal fell apart before Lucic was in EDM 28th is interesting. Maybe Chia called it off after Lucic->Hall->Larsson came the reality.

If the Wild are hoping Eric Staal can be a 2nd line center, all the best to them. However, both his pay and actual play the last two years indicates his time in that sort of role is done. He's a (solid) 3C now who shouldn't play any higher on a contender.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Man, with first Haula and now Zucker being basically untouchable, why is it the Wild are never Cup finalists? It's almost like those players aren't as good as fans of the team claim they are.

(Hint: Most teams have a Zucker. Most teams would trade him in the right deal, i.e. for a young top center)

Back to reasonable discussion: I'd prefer Spurgeon for RNH, but Dumba + Haula is fine. Helps both clubs- as much as some people don't want to admit it- and allows Edmonton to clear up the cap space they'll need for future extensions.

It really isnt.. Dumba is a defensive liability on ice. There are far better options if the Oilers just need a #6Dman with a hard point shot.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Timeline:

Obviously we don't know for sure, but I think Chiarelli was prepared to overpay (yes, overpay) by trading Nuge for Dumba, but when the better defenseman (Larsson) came available he opted to move Hall instead of Nuge.

Honestly, part of me suspects that moving Hall out was as much about changing the proverbial "culture" of the locker room. Hall was a leader, and usually locker room changes seem to come with a change of leadership in there. I suspect that Chiarelli was always very open to moving either Nuge or Hall, until he dealt one of them. I don't think its as necessary now as it was before the trade, so I don't think we overpay anymore.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
It really isnt.. Dumba is a defensive liability on ice. There are far better options if the Oilers just need a #6Dman with a hard point shot.

He has the potential to grow into more while already being a 20-30 point guy. He literally just turned 22, and has a lot of what the team lacks from the back-end.

Haula is whatever, there's this bizarre narrative out there that he produced like a 2C for a third of the season so he somehow has that value today, but really he's a decent bottom-six option and is Finnish so that's a plus for Puljujarvi. He'd be cheap to extend and takes care of the third line center role for the foreseeable future.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

In all fairness, anyone trading for Dumba would be doing so in the hope that he becomes a more rounded player and can be used as a powerplay point man and at worst a 2nd pairing regular strength guy. It's not like its Mark Fayne with a hard shot we are asking about.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013

Maybe you should pay attention before spouting off?

We need them because they are cheap. We don't have the luxury of trading these guys away for more expensive players that we could end up losing in the expansion draft anyway.

We know exactly how good they are. And in Dumba's case particularly, how much potential is there. Nobody thinks they're untouchable; but they do know that RNH isn't as big an upgrade as he should be for the salary difference in the trades being proposed.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
PLEASE KEEP POOOOLiout out of a Minnesota jersey forever. The Wild gave him enough chances already in the past. Would much rather have Zucker anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad