Proposal: Miller to TOR (again)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I really dont think ponying up the necessary assets to acquire Miller makes sense. Kerfoot is being thrown in for cap purposes but is one of the Leafs better forwards in his own right. Instead of infusing another top line player its just upgrading Kerfoot which makes it less impactful.

And just look at tonight. If there is a big move to be made it should be for a defenseman. I dont think any forwards will be acquired apart from bottom 6 depth.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
I really dont think ponying up the necessary assets to acquire Miller makes sense. Kerfoot is being thrown in for cap purposes but is one of the Leafs better forwards in his own right. Instead of infusing another top line player its just upgrading Kerfoot which makes it less impactful.

And just look at tonight. If there is a big move to be made it should be for a defenseman. I dont think any forwards will be acquired apart from bottom 6 depth.
This has been my stance, Miller is having a Hell of a season, he holds a lot of value…just not the right target for the Leafs to spend multiple top assets.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
I think it’s safe to say that forward isn’t even a top 2 target for Toronto after last night….when you have scored 8 goals and are still barely hanging on, I think goaltending and defence are your biggest priorities,

Last edited:

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
To be fair, I don't think anyone is advocating for Travis Dermott to represent a "material portion" of the value of the deal. Most Leafs-proposed deals he's the 3rd or 4th most valuable piece.

That being said, he is a guy who would almost certainly benefit from a change of scenery, even if it is to bring a really high quality #3 left defenceman behind Hughes & OEL.
Dermott doesn't really fit as the Canucks 3rd pair LD. We badly need a defensive minded LD with size and pk ability to play there. I can't remember which one of the Leafs LD has the capability to play RD, but if Dermott is one of them, he might possibly be a fit on 3rd pair rd to be the puck mover that pairs with afformentioned LD.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Dermott doesn't really fit as the Canucks 3rd pair LD. We badly need a defensive minded LD with size and pk ability to play there. I can't remember which one of the Leafs LD has the capability to play RD, but if Dermott is one of them, he might possibly be a fit on 3rd pair rd to be the puck mover that pairs with afformentioned LD.

Not sure I follow... the Canucks have Hughes, OEL, and presently Brad Hunt on the left side. On the right it's Myers, Schenn, Hamonic and Poolman who is currently hurt. All of these guys on the right are under contract for next year. Dermott is likely going to be a far superior partner for any of those 3-4 than Brad Hunt.

Yes, on the PK it means you'll have somebody playing their off-side. That really, really isn't a big deal. The preference for righties on the right, lefties on the left, is much more centered around the transition game and keeping the puck in at the blueline. The role of a defenceman on the PK is to block a shot or two, stay in position and either win a board battle when they come, or bury it in the corner wasting time.

Call me crazy, but seems to me like Travis Dermott and his $1.5m cap hit might actually be really appealing to Vancouver given the defencemen they have on the right ( a bunch of reasonably offensively-inept stay at home defencemen), and the fact that OEL is not producing anywhere near what he used to.

Last edited:

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Not sure I follow... the Canucks have Hughes, OEL, and presently Brad Hunt on the left side. On the right it's Myers, Schenn, Hamonic and Poolman who is currently hurt. All of these guys on the right are under contract for next year. Dermott is likely going to be a far superior partner for any of those 3-4 than Brad Hunt.

Yes, on the PK it means you'll have somebody playing their off-side. That really, really isn't a big deal. The preference for righties on the right, lefties on the left, is much more centered around the transition game and keeping the puck in at the blueline. The role of a defenceman on the PK is to block a shot or two, stay in position and either win a board battle when they come, or bury it in the corner wasting time.

Call me crazy, but seems to me like Travis Dermott and his $1.5m cap hit might actually be really appealing to Vancouver given the defencemen they have on the right ( a bunch of reasonably offensively-inept stay at home defencemen), and the fact that OEL is not producing anywhere near what he used to.
Playing your strong side on the pk is pretty important. It makes it much easier to clear the puck out if you are a lefty on the left side of the ice than if you are a righty. Also easier to intercept passes.

One of the biggest reasons why the Canucks pk has been so bad this year is the lack of a good penalty killing LD. OEL is solid defensively at even strength, but has not been good at all on the pk.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Playing your strong side on the pk is pretty important. It makes it much easier to clear the puck out if you are a lefty on the left side of the ice than if you are a righty. Also easier to intercept passes.

One of the biggest reasons why the Canucks pk has been so bad this year is the lack of a good penalty killing LD. OEL is solid defensively at even strength, but has not been good at all on the pk.

Not sure I'd agree with you on the importance of playing the strong side on the pk. Defencemen get turned sideways on the PK all the time to begin with.

That being said, you're talking about a pretty substantial overhaul (given that Hughes is obviously not going to PK), and loss of a lot of 5on5 flexibility to fix what I think is a pretty small problem.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Not sure I'd agree with you on the importance of playing the strong side on the pk. Defencemen get turned sideways on the PK all the time to begin with.

That being said, you're talking about a pretty substantial overhaul (given that Hughes is obviously not going to PK), and loss of a lot of 5on5 flexibility to fix what I think is a pretty small problem.
An overhaul of the defense is needed anyways.

Agree to disagree I guess.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
An overhaul of the defense is needed anyways.

Agree to disagree I guess.

Sure, and Travis Dermott may fit into that overhaul, may not.

The reality is though, the Canucks have 6 defencemen under contract for next year, with Schenn being a theoretical good #7. The defensiveness / dismay that Canucks fans place towards Travis Dermott really isn't appropriate.

No, he's not going to be guy that "moves the needle" for Miller, especially given that the upgrade he provides is more of the "nice to have" than "this is our biggest need"; but he would certainly be a welcome addition to the Canucks D core (in place of Brad Hunt) on the left side of that 3rd pair today, and options / upside he provides long term.

It's not like Hamonic (31), Schenn (32), Myers (32), or OEL (30) are getting any better. Dermott may be 25 with the better part of 5 NHL seasons under his belt, but he's also been somewhat held back in terms of opportunity for a good chunk of his career.

Mar 26, 2010
It's pretty clear at this point Toronto needs a goalie and/or more D. They are not a JT Miller away from winning anything. Forget about JT Miller, waste of assets.
Completely agree.

Last edited:

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Weird flex considering the Leafs are a lock for the playoffs and the Canucks are currently outside looking in….

Yeah, that is just a west vs East thing. I should not have said it! I actually don't hate watching the Leafs. Some pretty nice goals....fast attack!

But on the other hand the Canucks have the 2nd best GGA since BB started, and have pretty well the same winning percentage as the Leafs since

BB started coaching. It is just too bad, Aqualini did not pull the trigger earlier................but who knows, there is a slim possibility we get in!

Time will tell!...............

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Yeah, that is just a west vs East thing. I should not have said it! I actually don't hate watching the Leafs. Some pretty nice goals....fast attack!

But on the other hand the Canucks have the 2nd best GGA since BB started, and have pretty well the same winning percentage as the Leafs since

BB started coaching. It is just too bad, Aqualini did not pull the trigger earlier................but who knows, there is a slim possibility we get in!

Time will tell!...............
I have no issue with the Canucks at all…have Petey and Hughes on my fantasy team. I also have no issue with Miller…really good player, just not the right target for TO.

Reactions: zcaptain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad