Rumor: Mikheyev agent given permission to seek trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Based on the Sharks claiming Goodrow for nothing, I honestly wonder if the cost of getting out of bad deals is going to be minimal going forward. It was obviously pricey with a flat cap, but the cap is going up by a lot this summer and projects to absolutely skyrocket. If you look at pre-COVID costs to get out of bad deals, they tended to be more mild for the most part (Marleau dump being the notable exception).

The Canucks may be able to get out of Mikheyev's deal for little to no assets.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Based on the Sharks claiming Goodrow for nothing, I honestly wonder if the cost of getting out of bad deals is going to be minimal going forward. It was obviously pricey with a flat cap, but the cap is going up by a lot this summer and projects to absolutely skyrocket. If you look at pre-COVID costs to get out of bad deals, they tended to be more mild for the most part (Marleau dump being the notable exception).

I'm not sure that Goodrow is a trend more than it was about a rebuilding team wanting a veteran that would help their locker room.

Reactions: Ragdoll and SnS

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Goodrow is a gritty veteran that wears a letter. There was an organizational culture component to that decision that doesn’t apply here.

I mean, it's easy to say that now before anything happens.

I just think people are ignoring that the significant rise in cap may have an impact on these negative value players, and would take the "negative value" more towards pre-COVID levels than flat cap COVID levels.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Goodrow is a gritty veteran that wears a letter. There was an organizational culture component to that decision that doesn’t apply here.
Sure, but there’s also higher upside with Mikheyev. Seen Connor Brown’s speed return now given it’s been two years since.

VAN radio was saying the pushback from other teams isn’t as much about the injury given the realization that the recovery does really need close to two years, but more so about his confidence being totally shot.

… and I kind of agree. VAN should absolutely have to pay something to get out of this but I think he’s got much more upside than someone like Beauvillier who they didn’t have to pay to move.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina

It was a no brainer for the Sharks to claim him, IMO.

Caboose

Jan 16, 2019
Poor guy, pre-surgery even after injury he looked so good next to Petey, I thought for sure those two would form the backbone of our hard matchup line for many years to come. Mik had such an awful year though, feels like any team that gets him on this buy low opportunity will be happy.

Sadly, he is the one person on the roster who vastly underperformed his contract and therefore seen as necessary cap relief. However, a part of me still believes he can bounce back and be a key piece in the top 6 next to Petey and hopefully Guenzel.

In a perfect world, recovered speedy Mik is such a perfect player for the Canucks system.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
like goodrow, mikheyev has a limited ntc. this move might be a courtesy precursor to waiving him so a team on that list can grab him.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Ironic because Mikhayev is a Millstein client. Canucks want to move Mikhayev so they can have more room to sign another Millstein client..Zadorov.

Too bad he is not a centre, as we learned this week with PLD and Goodrow that centres could be moved despite the contract.

There's just soo many options at wing.

I think the Canucks will have to attach a 3rd rounder or a similar value prospect to move Mikhayev and his 2yrs at 4.75 mil AAV contract.

I do think that Mikhayev has a bounce back season though as he recovers from his knee injury. I think he can still be a very effective PKer that contributes 15-20 goals on the 3rd line.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don’t think there’s much upside for San Jose there.
There's as much upside with Mikheyev as there was with Goodrow. Free NHL roster players who have a modicum of competency. Both players are good at what their role should be. Problem is that both are overpaid. No one would care about either of them if they were making $2mil. If you have a team like the Sharks who need to get to the floor, you're either buying similar players in FA or you can claim/trade for this one.
like goodrow, mikheyev has a limited ntc. this move might be a courtesy precursor to waiving him so a team on that list can grab him.
I imagine at this point, Mikheyev has already "waived" the NTC and would be willing to go nearly anywhere.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I mean, it's easy to say that now before anything happens.

I just think people are ignoring that the significant rise in cap may have an impact on these negative value players, and would take the "negative value" more towards pre-COVID levels than flat cap COVID levels.

Fair argument, but I think the wrong player to use it on.

If Mikheyev was a UFA this Summer, would he get $4.75 mil x 2 and a partial-NTC (relevant for a bottom feeder that would try to flip him deadline 2026)? I’m skeptical to say the least.

Sure, but there’s also higher upside with Mikheyev. Seen Connor Brown’s speed return now given it’s been two years since.

VAN radio was saying the pushback from other teams isn’t as much about the injury given the realization that the recovery does really need close to two years, but more so about his confidence being totally shot.

… and I kind of agree. VAN should absolutely have to pay something to get out of this but I think he’s got much more upside than someone like Beauvillier who they didn’t have to pay to move.

Beauvillier was an expiring contract. The extra year here is an issue.

Reactions: SnS

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Fair argument, but I think the wrong player to use it on.

If Mikheyev was a UFA this Summer, would he get $4.75 mil x 2 and a partial-NTC (relevant for a bottom feeder that would try to flip him deadline 2026)? I’m skeptical to say the least.

Beauvillier was an expiring contract. The extra year here is an issue.
Yeah, I’m aware. That’s why I said VAN needs to pay. But, I’m also saying that I think Mikheyev offers more utility than Goodrow or Beauvillier who were taken for free.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
There are multiple challenges with Mikheyev.

1. Rarely plays a whole season, and has missed a lot of games with injury, so not particularly reliable.
2. Career high of 32 points.
3. Three of four playoff appearances have resulted in ZERO points.
4. $4.75 million, is way too much for the above.

At 50% you might have some interest, but certainly not at $4.75 million.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Buyout incoming. Better option that retaining 50% of adding a 2nd. He may have been the least effective player in his role in the entire league last year. A bucket placed in front of the net would not have gone 50 games without a goal while playing with Pettersson.

Reactions: BluesyShoes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad